Crazy thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy thought

Ok , we all know or have listened to those stories of the guys 50- 75 years ago collecting buckets of spear point / points that were G-10 .
    Well if we are finding Paleo and Archaic points I believe
    the NA did to . I came up with this after Eastern posted
    some pieces with nice edge work .
    They must have found pieces all over the place having the eye for it and being out every day looking for food , hunting themselves . I have this old Archaic point that I found on my property that is a woodland camp and it’s worked to exhaustion . Ears are crooked , bevel on one side so deep the list goes on . Pottery sherds and big scrappers on my site says woodland . I just wonder if they took these , reworked them till exhaustion . We trying to ID them and come up with theories on what it is . I truly now believe some of the variants might just be old points reworked or the tools we find are points reworked . Saying it’s an Adena culture
    tool for example .
    Maybe it was their point but picked up by another culture made into a
    scrapper .Almost afraid to push post 🧐

It's not a crazy Idea. I have thought of it myself. I know a few out there are possibles, but because I am still new to this, I won't try and act like I know what I am talking about, and attempt to explain. :-)
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

It is absolutely a fact, a known fact, that later natives curated(collected) earlier pieces. I have demonstrated this in my own hunts. Once or twice I have found very obvious water worn points at sites far from any beach. They did not get there on their own. A native found it and took it back to camp. I have seen photos of fluted points that were notched by later cultures. So, yes, it did happen.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Interesting Charlie , I was hoping this brought up some discussion I could learn from . I know multi generation camps are of course out there as I hunt one. But you know when you are walking and find that perfect point or a well worked one . You just have to wonder what they thought also . Was there an invader around ?
        or hmmmm nice piece . My mind is forever wondering . It’s the no written language that keeps us from really ever knowing .

Comment

I ran across a paper about this one time. I'll see if I can find it again.
          Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Tam
            Tam commented
            Editing a comment
            Please do BA

I've wondered the same thing. They must have stumbled across other styles of points from past inhabitants. We think of a certain type belonging to a certain time period. Almost like a style of car. But if the NA found a point that was different from their type they commonly made, would it influence them to try that "new" style?
          Central Ohio

Comment

• Tam
            Tam commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly

See? It wasn't such a bad question after all!
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Hey Tam good thinking...good post it enlightened me now
            SW Connecticut

Comment

I mentioned this subject in an earlier post. As CMD says it's established fact and makes total sense if you think about it. Access to material was limited at times, like when disputes disrupted trading systems. Workable material was always valued so when points were broken they were reworked. the same would be true for old found points.
              Quite possibly what started life as a big knife could in time be reduced to a bird arrow.
              Micron analysis has demonstrated wide ranging dates on various surfaces of a single artifact that proves the theory.

California

Comment

• Tam
                Tam commented
                Editing a comment
                Great minds think alike

Think of it in modern terms if you see a twenty dollar bill on the ground you pick it up same goes for good usable points / blades why not
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
              X