The new generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new generation

It has come to my attention recently that the newest generation, "Gen Z" is a little bit different than the previous generations. We can say that for all generations, but this is the only opening I could think of this topic.

Generation Z, or iGen is anybody born after the year 2000, to present day. I fit in this category. But I've noticed something: I can't understand a word they're saying.

With the exception of Olivia, (who moved to another state late last year) I haven't talked to a kid my age in all 16 of my years on planet earth. I have always preferred to hang out with the adults. They have given me more wisdom than I could ever learn with the younger generation, and besides, my remote location didn't help matters.

One day, Bored with all the raining it was doing, I decided to play a multiplayer military strategy game on the computer. Never again will I be so foolish.

The conversations being typed onto the screen were tame and clean, but I barley understood a word of it. Every sentence was abbreviated in some fashion, and the emojis used would baffle even though most experienced of Egyptian hieroglyphic code crackers. One kind young lady took time to explain to me what was being said. She than asked, with a hint of sarcasm in her typed words, "how old are you, geezer?". I replied "16, and I am helplessly clueless, ma'am". The entire room typed in "lol" over and over. To them, I seemed as weird as a Swede selling Chinese food in Guatemala. I decided that the world of artifact forums was a much better use of my time. I hung around a while more, just to see what they would do. "I am not your old lady" she said. Don't be so freakin' formal. What are you still stuck in the 19th century?". I replied that the Civil War was what I studied, and I love learning about life back then. The room erupted in lol implied laughter again, and frankly I was amused. "I also knap arrowheads, and study early ancient native american culture". With that, they told me in less than kind words to "shut up professor". Shut up I did, and I left promptly.

I know that not all kids are like that, but isn't it worrisome that they don't even pretend to care? History is an important thing to study, and every kid I have encountered so far could care less about some dusty relics, or arrowheads. They are too busy texting, wearing jeans that restrict blood flow to vital organs and drinking unholy amounts of diet soda. As a Gen Z, it worries me that these are the folks that I have to trust to carry on the stuff that's important: knowledge. I am just not seeing it when I turn on the TV, or read the news paper. Do you guys feel the same?

Click image for larger version

Name:	genz.png
Views:	50
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	365386

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Don’t worry with it Ethan, your not a “ Snowflake !” Also, they will need a boss someday soon. Someone like you Sir !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      That is the one thing I am proud of, ha ha!

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Not a hint of flake in this kid.

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck finding a girl that will let you be in charge in a relationship. It’s different in my lifestyle I’m the boss and if they don’t like it oh well

Good diagnosis of your generation.glad ur not like that ....but it seems like the whole world is different than. when I was your age....just keep doing what you're doing
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Slow down there, kid.

There's nothing much different from today's youth than previous gens.

Maybe the jargon is different and ways of waisting time have changed but youngsters have always been cliquey, superficial and blind to everything beyond their own narrow socially driven world .

Maybe spending a lot of time with adults you've overheard their complaints but haven't realized that this is an eternal complaint. Just as youth will always blame the elders.

If you are have trouble fitting in it's more to do with you being unusual (in a good way) than them.

Kids have always had trouble accepting those that are different and are always cruel.

It can be painful/annoying in the moment, but you are who you are, and it's unhealthy to bend too far trying to conform.

Clearly you are bright, engaged in life - in your own way -and mature for your age. Let them catch up and then you might both recognize each others qualities.

Meanwhile keep doing what you do and don't worry about teenagers not being interested in history because - for the most part - they never were.

Enough of this 'snowflake ' nonsense too as it's strays dangerously close to politics.

California

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry to offend you but generation Z has nothing to do with politics !
        In definition, it is a person more prone to taking offense and having less psychological resilience than previous generations, or as being too emotionally vulnerable to cope with views that challenge their own...

I'm not offended and my comment was not intended as a criticism.

I can relate to Kentucky Point's experience and only meant to share my perspective having grown up as some what of an outsider myself.

However, I do feel that kids today get a bad wrap and the characterization that they are "more prone to taking offense and having less psychological resilience than previous generations, or as being too emotionally vulnerable to cope with views that challenge their own." reminds me a lot of the criticism that my generation received from our parents.

They had suffered World War 2 and never stopped reminding us how easy we had it in comparison. Of course we saw it different as we inherited a world that was changing so fast and many of the cultural routines and institutions our parents had relied on were quickly eroding.

Even if we were spoiled by peace and modernity, we were entitled to our points of view.

Similarly, kids today are coming up in a world many of us older people can hardly recognise. Frankly, it's a scary world that's fraught with uncertainty. Major change at an accelerated pace.

Maybe they are prone to neurosis, maybe not.

Of course, if they are, it's our fault not their's.

Anyway, these kids will, in turn, find fault with those that follow them and don't be surprised if their complaints follow these same worn out tropes.
      Last edited by tomf; 05-07-2019, 09:59 PM.
      California

Comment

Tomf, this is for you.
        Your comments are spot. It is a very nuanced issue and you seem to have a good grasp on it.
        Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Working...
        X