The Cabin (1700's)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cabin (1700's)

Here is a cabin I found close by my house. It dates to the late 1700's, and we are currently trying to get metal detecting permission.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0771.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	367878

Name:	DSC_0772.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	367879

Hand-hewn sandstone chimney.

Name:	DSC_0777.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	367880

Would you just look at the logs on that thing...

Name:	DSC_0781.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	399.0 KB
ID:	367881
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

On the property I have Permisson for the summer there is a old house from that era on it. Owner said I could swing the detector if I wanted to.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      I know it has an old trash pit behind it somewhere cause I find old bottles in the ditch

Looks like a good place to detect.....That cabin is really in good shape for the age !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Hope you get permission and you get to share some nice, unusual and rare finds.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Can’t wait to see what you find. 👍👍
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

That's a classic cabin in a wonderful setting.

Do you have any info about it's history?

I think you are going find some interesting things.
          California

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            There are no houses near this cabin. But strangely, the grass is kept mowed, the well had a cover added, and bushes were trimmed. Aliens. In all seriousness, we are trying to find the owner, so we can learn about this p;lace.

• tomf
            tomf commented
            Editing a comment
            Sometimes an old patch of grass in a shady area will self-limit it's growth, especially when it doesn't get mowed.

Or maybe there are animals grazing nearby that keep the grass short-ish and the bushes trimmed.

Or maybe it is ghosts - that old place must have them.

How remote is it in relation to another house or road?

Can you access the interior without breaking and entering?

​​​​​​​There will be some clues inside

• tomf
            tomf commented
            Editing a comment
            Chimney is awesome.

This place must have been occupied in the relatively recent pass judging by it's condition.

There's still some window glass and the tin roof looks in great shape, as do the boards considering they are clearly very old.

I would interested in exploring every nook and cranny where something may have been stashed - especially fireplace, loose floorboards, rafters etc.

Also the well could hold some secrets. Can you see to the bottom?

Find what road it is then google... who lives on or owns street name and zip. See what happens you might get a name. The only other way is to go to the court house
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            We are just going to leave a note on the porch, with our names and phone number, and what we want. I'm pretty sure we'll get a call.

Even if you find nothing, that place is a gem.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Originally posted by tomf View Post
            That's a classic cabin in a wonderful setting.

Do you have any info about it's history?

I think you are going find some interesting things.

The back door is wide open, and you can see inside. The owner has several signs that say "Unsafe to enter" but that hasn't stopped some vandals from going inside and taking whatever was of value and breaking the windows. Anyways, I poked my head in there, and took these pics of the fireplace, and the door. You can see that the wallpaper has a flowery print, and if you zoom in, you can see newspaper they used for insulation. I want to go see what the headlines were about...

Name:	DSC_0775.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	368046
            Just look at that cool hearth.

Name:	DSC_0776.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	368047

You can see how they locked their door at the top left of the door. The light spots on the wood walls are newspaper. If you zoom in, you can read the headlines, but not the date or print.

I just looked at google maps, and found a house that I somehow didn't see about a mile away, and up another road. They might be the owners, but I'll still leave a note.

As for the well, it seems bottomless. I couldn't see the bottom.

Comment

I see a baseboard pulled up I bet in the old days they use to hide their money any place they could find. I have Permisson to go in the old home but it’s so rotted I think I will just swing the outside in the yard. Sometimes there looks like people have been living in it at night so I’m cautious and you should be also. Good luck
              NW Georgia,

Comment

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                It doesn't look like anyone's been inside for many years. I am curious to know what's upstairs, because for the life of me, I couldn't find any staircase when I looked inside through the windows!

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Probably stolen or sold. I would guess it was a nice one

What pretty property .I've seen newspaper used in old cabins in NC and TN
              South Carolina

Comment

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                That's some good ol' country insulation! In Germany, during the terrible post World War one economic crisis, the paper money was so worthless that the Germans used it in their walls as insulation. Could you imagine that?

• Josie
                Josie commented
                Editing a comment
                I know I've read that! Crazy!

Wooooow, did you just say 1700s? I mean, just take a look at it, it is in a really amazing state for such an old building. I am trully amazed. And the place looks also really good for detecting. I would actually like to find such an oldie somewhere around the area. I remember back when I was living in Maryland, we have found a 1800s house and we tried to renovate it actually. We even called for the services of https://city2surfroofing.com.au/roof-repairs-sydney/ which is the best roof repairs company in the area.
              Last edited by GraceGraham; 04-08-2021, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Very cool. I’ve always had an affinity for old log cabins. Awhile back I stayed at Charit Creek Lodge in the Big South Fork area of Tennessee. The main part of the log lodge was built in 1817. No power, cell phones or distractions. The only way to get there is either hiking or horseback. You can literally feel the history in a place like that.
                👍😃
                Last edited by Uncle Trav; 04-07-2021, 08:42 AM.
                Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by GraceGraham View Post
                  Wooooow, did you just say 1700s? I mean, just take a look at it, it is in a really amazing state for such an old building. I am trully amazed.

Name:	DSC_0076.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	546596

This house is located about 30 miles away. It was built in 1797 by a revolutionary war soldier, and had a wealth of interesting things happen there over the years.

Comment

That has been reroofed at some point if from 1700’s . No tin roofs back then

Comment

• Kentucky point
                      Kentucky point commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The original cabin? Yes. It was re-roofed back in the 1900s. It was in use until about 1945.

The red roofed one was fixed in the 1970s.
                  Working...
                  X