Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dope, coppers and goats: now that I have your attention...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dope, coppers and goats: now that I have your attention...

If y'all have noticed, I have been posting less, and when I do, its in the evening. There's a good explanation for that. My parents,, mainly my mom, bought goats. Yay. I am NOT a fan of barnyard animals, especially goats (long story). Anyways, I have been hammering in T-Posts like nobodies business for almost a week now. Try hammering in 30 T-Posts in less than two hours in 90 degree heat. On the flip side, my muscle mass is growing at a great rate...

When I come back in at night, I buy and sell bottles. I buy a bottle for a good price, and sell it to make $10-$20 profits to make a little bit of money. I really want/desperately need a pinpointer for when I go metal detecting, because without one, I create craters and crop circles that amuse, alarm and astound folks. I metal detected the crap out of my yard, and found 6,000,000 Pepsi cans, and almost $3.00 in clad coins. I also found some copper pipe pieces that will eventually be sold to a scrap dealer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0200.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	377745

4th of July went as usual around here. Work from sunup, til sundown, then a few fireworks. Fireworks were interesting...One type of firework is an explosive colorful mortar thats good and powerful. It comes with a special tube to shoot it out of. My dad, not being the one to follow rules, lol, decided to place it into a massive clay pipe instead. When he lit the fuse and ran, we heard a loud hiss, and realised he put the explosive in upside down. "HIT THE DIRT" I yelled, and when we did, there was an explosion that burst the pipe into hundreds of pieces, and left a small crater in the driveway. That was actually fun! Then we heard explosions in the house. Apparently my brother dropped M-80 strength noise poppers onto the ground by accident. After ridiculing him to my satisfaction, I picked up the box, and unknowingly spilled out five of them. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! The hallway sounded like a gun range. I was deaf in one ear for an hour, and the poor cat wasn't seen until the next morning. I swear she lost spots. We all laughed about it then, and still do now.

Name:	DSC_0202.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	377746 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0203.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	377747

These are some of the bottles I have bought. Some will be resold.

Name:	DSC_0015.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	377748

The king of them all: National Dope Company Hutchinson soda bottle. This thing is worth approximately $225. I got it for double digits.

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	377749

I visit Pottsville Pennsylvania often when I m at my grandmothers.

Name:	DSC_1327.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	377750

Dr. D. Fahrney and Sons / Hagerstown Maryland / Teething Syrup / For Babes. When I used to live in West Virginia, we would hop the Potomac river and do business in Hagerstown. I remember it well.

Name:	DSC_0281.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	377751

My favorite bottle to collect: Coca Cola script straight sides. This one is from Birmingham Alabama.

Name:	DSC_0141.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	377752

I also bought two Civil War era pipe bowls. The inkwell was dug by my dad.

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

I knapped only three points in almost three weeks.

Name:	DSC_0284.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	377754 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0285.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	377755 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0286.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	377756

I also got this lightning picture the other day. It doesn't help that I stay up till almost midnight to catch storms.

Name:	DSC_0264.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	377757

Comment

When I do get my detecting pinpointer, I plan on making a work strike (failure guaranteed) in order to get to some promising sites, all withing several miles of me. 1850s iron furnace, 1700s cabin, Union army pickett post, confederate skirmish site, Kentucky Home Guard camps, Portsmouth Guards pickett posts, 1876 house owned by D. Horsley, shall I go on?

Comment

Creek hunting for points is optimal now, because creeks are pretty low. However, goat fencing comes first, and by the time I get it finished, the rain will be back. Yay goats.

Comment

My current straight sided Coca Cola collection.

Name:	STRAIGHT1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	377764 Click image for larger version

Name:	STRAIGHT.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	377765

From left to right, Columbus Ohio, Kalamazoo Michigan, Birmingham Alabama, Lexington Kentucky and Birmingham Alabama.

Comment

So much for idle youth.

Loved the post.

Bottles are a great way to make money on an interest and I suspect you'll find plenty when you buy your new gizmo, as you've studied up on sites.

One you've got those goats fenced in right, you'll find they aren't so much trouble and can be quite entertaining in a goaty way.

Make time for lithics, it's a great form of meditation and you need to relax.

Also, find cool things to post.
            California

Comment

• Kentucky point
              Kentucky point commented
              Editing a comment
              I am tryin' to find stuff. We only stop working mid-day at the heats highest level, so that's when I run out with my detector and find...junk. I will find a good coin one of these days.

Oh yeah, do any of y'all know what that Gulfport thing is? It's aluminum, thin and flexible.

Comment

• JoshinMO
              JoshinMO commented
              Editing a comment
              Ancient Auto Inspection?

• Jethro355
              Jethro355 commented
              Editing a comment
              Could be an old key ring number thing, like for a postal box or motel room....maybe??

Really like that second Point and The lightning Shot. The Coca Cola Bottles aren't bad either!
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Those coke bottles are awesome. Top shelf collection right there.
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                I worked a lot to get two of them, $50 a piece. Then I started buying and selling bottles until I could afford them. I made a trade with one guy and acquired one that way, and the clear bottle actually came from a very well done YouTube channel.

Cool post KP keep it up man... those points came out nice
              Last edited by redrocks; 07-08-2019, 10:56 PM.
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Your busy, that’s good ! You must work hard to clean those bottles...
                Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Kentucky point
                  Kentucky point commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A bottle tumbler is whats needed for the. A good one cost $500+. I need to scratch build one from salvaged parts.

Sounds like a busy life. I don’t care for farm animals much myself maybe due to me getting kicked by a horse at a young age idk. But I will still hunt points on farms I just pay close attention to them animals especially the young bulls you never know what they are going to do. I helped a friend gather some of his goats that got loose and they are strong and will buck you I found out when he got me in the leg. I don’t help anymore 🥴
                NW Georgia,

Comment

• Kentucky point
                  Kentucky point commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Two of my biggest fears are cows and pigs.

I was metal detecting in Virginia, and I wasn't finding anything good all day, and I was in that "rabid, must find something" mood. I spotted a hill that looked good, but there was a ton of cows and a large bull sitting there. I was hot, tired and a lil' nutty, so I marched right up there, shooed them off, and sat and dug the most relics I've ever found. Now that I look back on it, I must have been drunk on Mountain Dew, because normally you wouldn't find me in the same county as a cow, lol!

There is no grass growing under those feet of yours .
                Love all the bottles . Good idea on your resale I like it . Wish I could borrow a couple of those goats to take down weeds in the yard .
                There will be no yard work where you put those guys . I saw a guy makes small enclosed pin with wheels on it . Moved it around the property where he didn’t want to weed wack .
                Thats your next project .
                Last edited by Tam; 07-17-2019, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Kentucky point
                  Kentucky point commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well there's now a problem. My mom bought the first goats she saw, off the first farmer she met, and all of them have hoof rot now. Dingleheaded country Joe, never told us that it is highly contagious. So now, they all have to go back. We will buy from a better dealer next time. Lesson learned, but only after burning a couple thousand bucks.

I am working on a huge project now, you can see it in the post I will add below.

Over the past two weeks, every night, I have been studying local Civil War history. There is an iron furnace within walking distance from my house. I never thought much of it, because there wasn't anything there as far as I knew. Boy was I wrong.

In the fall of 1862, over 1,000 West Virginia confederate Guerrillas captured the town of Grayson Kentucky, about 20 miles south of me. They camped at a certain spring, which I have located sorta, and fought the Union Kentucky Home Guards the next day. They burned and looted houses, took prisoners and such. Then they made their way towards the furnace. Only 50 Union men were on guard duty, when they learned of the rebel advance. They ran for their lives along the creek bank, and hid at the furnace.

Meanwhile, from the north, the 117th Ohio infantry were on there way to stop the rebels. The 50 Union men made their escape just as the rebels came to the furnace. They camped there for a few nights, before the Ohio soldiers came and chased them out. The Ohioans stood guard for the next few days, then left.

In 1871, the kkk held meetings at the furnace too, until General Grant ordered a detachment of troops to disband them.

Now I have to get permission.

Comment

Thanks for sharing those cool bottles. Love the ceramic ink and pipes. Your comment about digging craters is one reason I don't have a detector...yet. I'd be digging big holes too. Your research will eventually pay off with some cool finds but don't work too hard in this heat it can wear you down
                  fldwlkr
                  Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Working...
                  X