Moving to another state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to another state

So I'm planning a move to a state I used to live in a few years ago, but my situation is a little different.

When I moved before I would transfer thru my job and all I needed was a place to live. Now I am going to be quitting before I go, and I'm nervous.

I'm planning on the big move next July. I know that is plenty of time to get things ready.

I need advice as to when to find a place to live and when to start applying for jobs.

Can someone suggest a timeframe?

I guess it all depends on what you do for a living. as far as housing that would depend on the area but I would think about a month before you are leaving and area may have a bit to say where your job is located.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

You can start looking for jobs now . If your leaving anyway think about your future . You may find a co that wants you bad enough they will pay for your transfer . So that right there will knock out many questions .
      second .. start down sizing ASAP . Give things away or sell that will only cost you money to move / transport .
      if you don’t use it , wear it you don’t need it .
      Housing is different . If you lived there before you probably know what area you want to move to .
      Start looking now on all the websites out there .
      just get on Zillow , Trulia what ever site works for you .
      Start your dream early . Make it materialize in your mind instead of wondering at the end .
      You will be prepared , educated and ready the sooner you start ..

Comment

Originally posted by Tam View Post
        You can start looking for jobs now . If your leaving anyway think about your future . You may find a co that wants you bad enough they will pay for your transfer . So that right there will knock out many questions .
        second .. start down sizing ASAP . Give things away or sell that will only cost you money to move / transport .
        if you don’t use it , wear it you don’t need it .
        Housing is different . If you lived there before you probably know what area you want to move to .
        Start looking now on all the websites out there .
        just get on Zillow , Trulia what ever site works for you .
        Start your dream early . Make it materialize in your mind instead of wondering at the end .
        You will be prepared , educated and ready the sooner you start ..
        Definitely like the way you think!! I'll get on it. Have you interviewed via a phone call? I'd have to do that for now.

Comment

Basically most modern companies have a program called go to meeting . Kind of like a FaceTime .
          I believe an email is more appropriate to start as people are busy . Out of respect you want to be invited into a phone call unless it’s a person or company you are familiar with .
          Times are changing fast .

Comment

Originally posted by TxMailDude34 View Post

Definitely like the way you think!! I'll get on it. Have you interviewed via a phone call? I'd have to do that for now.
            I’ve interviewed hundreds and hundreds of people over phone and video (FaceTime, Skype, WhatsApp, etc.) calls for jobs. It’s no different than an in person interview from my point of view, but people I interview occasionally treat them oddly casually.

Find out if it’s a phone or video interview, and dress appropriately. Find a quiet spot. Don’t use the speaker phone since cellphone speaker phones pick up so much background noise. Read up a bit about the company. If it’s a video call just sit with a wall behind you if you can. If you have kids at home, feel free to suggest a time when your kids are busy, at school, napping, etc. Setting up the call when they are waking up and want breakfast probably isn’t great for you or the interviewer.

I’ve had video calls where people take the call in their pajamas, reclining in bed, with a huge bong on the coffee table behind them, with what I assume are other family members standing about 10 inches behind the person I was interviewing, etc. On phone interviews I’ve heard lots of music, movies in the background, dogs, friends giving encouragement or advice, etc.
            Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Originally posted by TxMailDude34 View Post

I’ve interviewed hundreds and hundreds of people over phone and video (FaceTime, Skype, WhatsApp, etc.) calls for jobs. It’s no different than an in person interview from my point of view, but people I interview occasionally treat them oddly casually.

Find out if it’s a phone or video interview, and dress appropriately. Find a quiet spot. Don’t use the speaker phone since cellphone speaker phones pick up so much background noise. Read up a bit about the company. If it’s a video call just sit with a wall behind you if you can. If you have kids at home, feel free to suggest a time when your kids are busy, at school, napping, etc. Setting up the call when they are waking up and want breakfast probably isn’t great for you or the interviewer.

I’ve had video calls where people take the call in their pajamas, reclining in bed, with a huge bong on the coffee table behind them, with what I assume are other family members standing about 10 inches behind the person I was interviewing, etc. On phone interviews I’ve heard lots of music, movies in the background, dogs, friends giving encouragement or advice, etc.
              Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
              X