3500 Years and No More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3500 Years and No More

Had no idea there were trees this old in Florida. What a shame, not to mention what a crime......
    The 118-foot-tall bald tree, which had withstood lightning storms, hurricanes and droughts, burned for several hours early today, weakening it so much that it collapsed in less than three hours.

Rhode Island

Tragic and deplorable.

Comment

thanks CMD i may have missed that don't watch alot of tv news, a friend told me about some really old pines about a mile from my house, when deer season ends think i'll go look for them ts

Comment

Dumbfounding isn't it? It is amazing how some people just don't care.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

It's now being reported that it was not an act of arson. Doesn't bring the tree back, but at least it does suggest it was a natural event, which is easier to take I think.
          Stay in the know with the latest Orlando news, weather and sports. Get the top stories and all the scores from the team at WESH.

Rhode Island

Comment

A lot of lighting in Florida I know I lived there for 35 yrs. And I did a lot of fishing, many of times I had to run for cover!

Comment

Fire causes destruction to any living thing. It burns, it's dangerous, and I do not like fire.  A natural occurrence is a less powerful blow than to think a person would have set that tree ablaze on purpose.  Still a tragic event.

Comment

That sucks. If only that tree could talk.

Comment

turkeytail wrote:

That sucks. If only that tree could talk.
                    "If only."  I bet there was some major, "cracklin", goin' on while the fire sucked the life out of that tree.  Imagine what it was like when humans used to live for hundreds and hundreds of years.  They probably had some, "tall tales", to tell!  Sad situation to lose the oldest known tree.

Comment

There is another thread, started by Historian, who lives near the tree. It's in the "Outdoors" category of the forum. It seems the cause is still undetermined, although they still consider arson to be unlikely.
                    Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                    X