Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant

When someone posts a rock and doesn’t get the “nice find way to go response” and get all bent out of shape. It is so irritating to me and the reason I have a hard time staying on here. If you will just spend the time reading and studying about point types and materials from your area you won’t have to keep asking “ is this something” . Also once you have the necessary experience you will find more. Ok off my soapbox now.

As many times as we have all discussed purposeful decision work, knapping, edges to get newbies (sometimes ignorami lol) to understand, see and feel human work on stone and to recognize the types of materials as well as the types of tools to keep in the mind's eye while hunting. I think most get it with our help and most of us I think give them a lot of leeway (YES A LOT OF LEEWAY...a lot of tongue biting). There are a very few that actually just try to troll with posts about eppigies, Beholder Art and FITH's "fits in the hands". Some of those get banned especially if foul mouthed but we do think that some come back in using another name, computer, etc. The mods and admin do a great job to weed them out.
    Everyone is stuck on shapes. Sometimes for just a few minutes/hours to days/weeks...never?.... We'll just keep on keepin on. Okie there are moderator and admin areas off this main forum where we discuss certain members' posts and pics.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• Okie1
      Okie1 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is someone with 2100 posts most of which are flakes fragments of worked material or plain old rocks. Oh well

• tomclark
      tomclark commented
      Editing a comment
      It is flabbergasting boom. I do not often comment on these types of posts. I leave it up to you lololol. I kid. Much better to have ONE good response for learning and finality. It's also funny that some of these posters have friends that will stick up for them, not taking our advice lolol. Oh well = right on.

I've been wanting to make a rant post myself, but I don't know if we can blame them. With all of those ebay sellers selling rocks as artifacts, it leads people to believe that this rock they just found must be an artifact. I've had to correct my mom so many countless times on what was an arrowhead, and what was not, that I just gave up. It's more of an annoyance for me, but somebody has to inform them.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Nise333
      Nise333 commented
      Editing a comment
      I noticed one person on Ebay selling numerous arrowheads daily. Claims authentic, I hope so but ? I am amazed and extatic that I've sold heart rocks on Ebay. Our job is selling cool treasures. When I can sell something that I am amazed by, thankful to find, and honored to share, I'm really just happy someone likes my rocks!

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      As long as they are sold as rocks, I am 100% fine with folks selling rocks. It's when they label them as artifacts, that makes me angry.

My view point is that I probably asked the “is this something?” question a lot when I started hunting, and I am sure that I probably switched to “this is something.” at times. It’s human nature. I was a kid and my forum was my dad, grandfather, cousins, who all seemed to find relics with ease. It was frustrating.

I agree with Tom that a single good answer about why something is natural rock is better than a bunch of leaverite and sex stone jokes.

The frustrating part is when they do their own research, find the page about portable rock art, and come back 3 posts later as an expert on the cultural implications of their pile of rocks that they can stack into an eagle.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

How about arguing profusely that this IS a point and then blocking me for saying it isn’t?

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd need to see several angles, but it does look like it might be a fragment of a point, possibly.

• Okie1
        Okie1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sure, a fragment of a point maybe but not a “point”. Do you call every fragment of worked material you find a point? I call them brokes. This piece lacks a definable base there is no way to say what it might have been.

• tomclark
        tomclark commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya! Mid-Section

Yikes, you guys are making me nervous. I was going to post some pics of larger stone tools like maybe a Guilford Axe and some adze. It's true that when you begin searching for artifacts you bring all kinds of rocks home. I've come a long ways in the year I've been searching. I don't bring home so many rocks anymore but sure I still bring home some. My discard pile is HUGE! My keep pile is small. So I feel like I'm developing a better eye. And I will say, some things just look better or more promising with the dirt on them. After clean up, not so much, lol.
      South Carolina

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't be nervous. The thing that gets me annoyed is when we say it is nothing, and they INSIST they have something repeatedly.

• Okie1
        Okie1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing to be nervous about as long as you can handle the truth, use it to learn and move forward.

• Josie
        Josie commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm pretty thick skinned so I think I can handle it. I have wrapped up my first year of hunting so I will be posting my knowns and looking for help on the unknowns. I find most everyone on this site very helpful.

There is a difference with those that want to learn and those that choose to hear what they want to hear. Those that seek validation and choose to ignore a comment from a seasoned enthusiast that spends their time on educating those just learning, do it for the love of the hobby. There is no monetary gain reaped for the respected members of this forum. Those that ask questions get a honest answer of what a pic has to offer. Blurry pic's can get veague answers Clear pic's can give good information but not always what the poster wants to hear. At some point those that live in their own fantasy usually get ignored and simply go away. It is when we fuel a fire of debate that we encourage more mindless thought from those that have a hidden agenda. So Okie give the great advise you can and if not well received then just move on to that genuinely want to learn.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Okie1
        Okie1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well stated sir.

Just like hundreds of point types and their condition from use, abuse, skill etc. we have collectors. I am dumbfounded by those that chose not to learn that pick a path that they like over fact.
      Pretty much self taught here and far from being any kind of expert but it is so easy to learn with all the available resources!
      Most often I'll just not respond, up unto a point but sometimes I'll open my big mouth and stick my foot in it.
      We try to do our best to stay patient and hope they learn. Most do and that's always good.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Self taught as well. It’s not hard to learn if you spend enough time in the field and pay attention to what you are seeing and do just a little reading. I try to be polite but when someone makes a smart mouth comment and just won’t let it go that what they have is not a point my short fuse gets the best of me.

Comment

• gregszybala
          gregszybala commented
          Editing a comment
          I hear ya and that's where keeping your cool on the faceless world wide web gets hard at times!

I agree that it gets frustrating at times when you continuously see pics of ordinary rocks posted repeatedly and they are informed that there is no evidence of work from human hands. Our mods are some very well informed folks on this matter and I have learned a lot from them. They always try to use encouragement and lend advice on what to look for. Sometimes that courtesy is thrown back at them as if they have no business stating fact. Many times though the advice is taken well and its great to see that first find...when they found a real one. My personal favorites are the delusional pareidolia and the "it fits perfectly in the hand". That being said we all started off as complete rookies and our passion for the quest swelled and continues to every day.
        The chase is better than the catch...
        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	7313B95B-E0E4-4688-A8C0-93B77EA010A1.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	86.0 KB ID:	382476 The And I described it as a beat up point but I think it could of been a small beat up knife instead. I’ve found 100s of good points and knifes and thousands of broken ones . I think Tom and Charlie responses are correct it’s beat up just like I stated. The other piece was what I was questioning I just used that one as an example for you to see I find artifacts in that creek but if you want to see the best from there then look at this one. I was getting aggravated because you were getting sidetracked from the original question. I’ve found some hard stone but not in that creek and I was hoping the item was maybe a crude hoe or a blade of sorts like this finished one. I just now saw this post or I would of responded sooner.
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• Okie1
            Okie1 commented
            Editing a comment
            If that’s the best time to find a new spot.

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            You know it’s killer. I’ve found everything except hard stone there. Still looking I’m not an expert by no means but do go more often than most do. I love to look. Sorry we got off on the wrong foot maybe one day we can be friends
        Working...
        X