Old Roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Roads

I live off of old county road that was mostly rocks dirt and gravel but was safe to travel . Because it was full of ruts and holes you had to slow down but though the last forty years or more the county improved it . Well sort of someone found a way to get a grant from air pollution control board to chip and seal a portion down the mountain to cut down on the dust . But its still one lane with no turn outs and a long ways down it you catch the edge you will die . Pray you don't meet another vehicle on the way up or down now there repaving a portion out to the state highway as I write this still one lane with blind corners . And a spot we call the hump that you need to look out your side window because your view is across your hood is towards the sky there's two spots like this . They don't backup the edges with gravel so the ditches become deeper and when you try to move over to let somebody pass your car will bottom out this is starting to sound like a rant but it's not but just what I see . Also in the plans is to replace the old one lane bridge across the river which will invite more traffic and wider vehicles like rv's attempting to reach the state park at the bottom or use as a shorter route to the valley . Now comes the younger folks and older locals that will speed more than they do now . I live on a private road that has the same problems and a lot more because a few of us try to maintain our roads but the more we do that faster they go and the ruder they get . The county portion was the old stage and miners trail and uphill traffic has the right of way still ! try to get someone to backup that's scared to death . A lot of us use the road for exercise walking bike riding walking the dogs at least they patched all the holes .That's it for today I need a beer .

Drop a shot glass of Crown in the beer first....
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Sounds like a road I used to spend a lot of time on. Old Stagecoach road. Downright spooky at times.
      Stay safe Dennis and tell those non locals to slow down!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post
        Sounds like a road I used to spend a lot of time on. Old Stagecoach road. Downright spooky at times.
        Stay safe Dennis and tell those non locals to slow down!
        The locals are the worst violators if I can figure out how to retrieve a photo off my wife's phone from today I'll post it . A Toyota pickup on the edge a small breeze would of helped it on it's way over the edge .

Comment

That sounds pretty bad. The roads where I live will scare the ever livin' crap out of ya. They are only ten feet wide at best, up and down hills, around bends, etc. and everybody and their cousin drives like a speed demon. Rarely if ever, does anybody stay in there own lane. People just need to learn how to drive!
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

The back roads that are private in SW Georgia on these hunt leases with complete washouts are a joke and a blast at the same time . Wayne found a 1993 4 WD our adopted son that does everything. He made it a new car for $2500 it was free !. Even air con and a blue tooth CB so he can go back there and not destroy any family car . It’s awesome and he can go get lost back there and not destroy any family car . 83k miles . What did this guy do for 25 years just stay home .
            It was on a piece of land that was sold . Picked up double axel trailer with new tires in the package .
            our son sold a piece of Farm land the new owner wanted this stuff off it . Ok

Comment

• oldrocks2
              oldrocks2 commented
              Editing a comment
              That's bad and I feel for you, be safe. On the bright side you could be living in Chicago.

The new pavement sure is nice but already had a few accidents . Beer + motorcycle over the side = helicopter ride to emergency ward . That's two over the edge in one week the county don't back up the edges with gravel so if you move over you bottom out . Now their going to replace the one lane bridge across the river cant wait to meet a motorhome when they miss there turn from the state park .

Comment

Dang ! Are You sure you don’t live in Louisiana ......or roads are horrible but at least there are not many hills...

Comment

Working...
              X