"There ain't no cure for the Summer Time Blues"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "There ain't no cure for the Summer Time Blues"

Is there a cure for the Summertime Blues? I'm not so sure...

It's been so long since my hands have touched an artifact, I wouldn't know what to do if I found myself looking at one!

The creeks are dried up, which is good, which means the rivers are dried up. Low water = great hunting! Wrong. The only days available to go take a ten minute (TEN MINUTE) drive down to the creek, is when it is a bazillion degrees. I'm also supposed to find a "public access area to look for artifacts". Yeah. That's kinda hard when I don't even have a plastic tub to float in, let alone a boat.

So creeks and rivers are out of the question. Plowed fields? Good luck finding one now...

Even flintknapping seems to be against me, because a tree crashed into my knapping spot, destroying it. So now I have to either rebuild, and risk the chance of it becoming a part of a goat pen, or find a different spot.

Don't get me started on our wacked schedule...

Fun fact: I get up and start my school at 4:00am, and finish by 8:00am. Now learnin' mah readin' writin' spelin' and rithymtic, right early in t' morn' is a good wey t' start, ain't it? Seems like I have extra time on my hands...yes. For whatever crazy project we decide to tackle during the day.

Enough of my ranting, how's your summer doing? Finding much? Think you could do better? New sites?
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Taking the boys out this weekend! Hot as snot or not, rain or shine
    North Carolina

Comment

I’m not sure what the summer time blues are Ethan... I remember graduating 1st grade and my dad asking me if I had a job yet.. Long story short, my first job was mowing the lawn for fifty cents a week. Dad even took a torch to heat the handle downward so I didn’t have to push the mower with my chin. After that, he always had plenty of work for me to do in summer.
      Good news is, is that I started paying in SS at age 13... I’m gonna enjoy that coming back now !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• sailorjoe
        sailorjoe commented
        Editing a comment
        That was an interesting story JJ.and one that I can relate to. Was that mower one that had an engine? First grass I ever cut was, yes a push mower, but if you didn't push it the blades would not turn.My leg power turned the blades. And the blades had to be filed to keep sharp enough to cut. So I was about 12 years old, more or less, before I was strong enough to cut grass. I have other grass cutting stories I could tell but the bottom line was if I didn't do some kind of work then I had no "free money" to spend.My brother and I were not given an "allowance" to spend as we saw fit. So much for old times, eh? lol. BTW, I've been collecting SS for 17 years.

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't get an allowance either, which leads me to think of other ways to acquire cash...selling old bottles is my number one "cash crop" if you will.

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Joe
        It was a 2 cycle engine. Dad had to start it for me as back then they did not have recoil ropes. Remember ? Wind the rope ? Anyway, that particular engine and many don’t know ( That 2 cycle engines) this would run just as good in reverse as in the forward position. Dad once started it in reverse as a gag but it was ripping up the lawn....We had a reel mower, but at age 6, he did not think I’d ever get the job done.So he bought the the push mower.

Crops still in, creeks mudded over, Could post an empty hand on the last 40 days. "Sometimes I wonder what Ima gona do"
      Won't be many that remember that line or song.
      Last edited by oldrocks2; 09-16-2019, 01:35 AM.
      SE IA

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I only remember it because my mom listens to country music (I shudder at the thought). I think it was the 1980s(?) version that I remember.

• oldrocks2
        oldrocks2 commented
        Editing a comment
        1950s R&R

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I do know the 50's version, but that's not the one she plays.

Several people have covered that song. The composer was Eddie Cochran. It hit the charts in 1958.

Comment

In between myself I use this time to usually paint and yard work but it’s been so hot I haven’t even been able to do that. Farmers probably won’t harvest until after Harvest Moon which is the end of the month of September
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
          Lindenmeier-Man commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m with ya, my season starts after harvest..

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice breeze today but also will knock the leaves down. I have 2 big pine trees in the back that lighting hit I have to get cut I was hoping to get that done to.
      Working...
      X