• Show
Clear All

• Storing pot sherds

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0489.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	407582

I thought this was a neat way to store a bunch of pottery sherds. I have two of these filled up with sherds. I guess this isn't practical for some. I filled two jars up in one Georgia visit.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Nice kypoint....i have mine in a small plastic tote....i might consider this as an option....looks like a cool way to store those
    Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

I do the same KP. Got Mason jars with design's and no design's and the best in frames all separated by site. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6021.PNG
Views:	249
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	407606 I love pottery!
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll have to remember that.

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Marshall, That is a great way to display the potsherds. That lamp is great.

• utilized flake
        utilized flake commented
        Editing a comment
        I do the same with my flakes in glass bowls and vases! Love the way it looks!

Thats awesome
      Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Love that avatar.

• Benji
        Benji commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks kypoint...i really liked the caveman avatar....didnt think about changing it but surfacehunter suggested....after that i remembered that the site suggested that your avatar could be a favorite find.....glad i grabbed an in situ before picking it up....i do believe it is my favorite find...not sure what will top it...some may disagree but i think if i find a grooved axe...that might take precedence

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        I love your caveman avatar, too, and CMD’s Fertile the Turtle effigy. Plus, I get confused when see new icons. Since Brun (my nickname avatar from caveman leader of clan in fiction book) now replaced by wicked ppt find, maybe can borrow Brun and edit him to look like a Brun-hilda!

Hey Ethan, I hadn't thought of it before but that's a great way to display them.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Mrs. Sherfy, owner of the Sherfy Peach Orchard in Gettysburg, had a mason jar holding a peach that was on a tree during the day of the battle. Someone still has it. Anyway, I saw a picture of it in a book, and my mind wandered, as it usually does, and I thought, "ya know, that may be a good idea to put my pot sherds in there." Don't ask me how I thought about pot sherds from a peach jar, but like I said, my mind wanders...

I've love displaying common relics like that. It's eye catching, and turns something a bit boring into something neat.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I usually give my pieces away after I get a pile. If it's a design I don't have I will put it in my frame. Haven't found any new designs in a while. I still have my 1st year of hunting flakes in a Mason jar. Once in a while I will go back through them. They look good Rusty Relics
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          What's your screen name? I haven't seen you yet.

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Look under started threads. If you like pottery I use to find a ton of it

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          will do.

Rock I responded to a couple of your posts but didn't know it was you for a while.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember you now. Tnet is where my digging buddies are, Civilwartalk is where my researching friends are, and this is where my family is at.

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          You should look up some of my posts over there. I use to post everything I found now I'm more selective. Warning thought I think there is over 4 thousand of them

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          To date I've posted 3,502 replies to topics. Mostly good morning, and goodnight on the rct. Used to be an animal house.

Jars , lamps all over the place ....I love Georgia Chert .
        I have my best pottery in a plate but no pic .
        Getting the lamp I alway suggest it .

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          I have my flakes in a 1970s Bicentennial jar I found behind my house.

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Funky, artsy bowls and plates, other unique open containers to show unique face of each....

That lamp is neat. I think I will try and find one and put it full of brokes. Well maybe 2 lamps.
        SE IA

Comment

I like to use some older local containers... Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07080.JPG Views:	0 Size:	102.8 KB ID:	408132
          San Luis Valley, southern Colorado

Comment

• Rio Del Norte
            Rio Del Norte commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm thinkin' '50s from lack of makers name
            Last edited by Rio Del Norte; 12-07-2019, 07:28 PM.

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know much about pottery. I just knew it was 20th century.

• Rio Del Norte
            Rio Del Norte commented
            Editing a comment
            I've been lucky to live close by the NM pueblos and get a feel for the art, even studied it in college art history.
            This piece is Santo Domingo [now Kewa], know for utilitarian pottery but not sold as tourist goods till the 60's.
            A piece like this would be expensive if it were from the 30's as they just don't exist from early dates.
        Working...
        X