Hungry critter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hungry critter

I got a call from a friend of the family that she heard some kinda sounded like a chewing noise coming from the cellar Sunday night...a few hours later she used the washing machine upstairs ...then went down the cellar next morning to see a flooded floor...she called me..I went over and this is what I found......wow....I mean I fixed it....I been electrician for 45 yrs but I can do plumbing too.....I didn't want money but she forced 100bucks and a restaurant gift card on me.....I just don't know if it was a mouse ...rat...squirrel or what....but. Never saw this before Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191230_165612_5~2.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	413090 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191230_165530_3~2.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	413091
    SW Connecticut

That mouse had a pint too many to be doing that kind of damage...
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      He musta been buzzing ...
      on rat poison. I heard they go right for water with that in em

I would be terrified. You're a good man for taking care of that her!
    South Carolina

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Josie. Up here ...it costs 100 bucks easy just to have a plumber or any other skilled Craftsman just come out and look....I love helping family and friends and was blessed to have a skill all my life

Never saw anything like that. Better look for bigger critters! 🙂
    South Dakota

Comment

I really don't see how a mouse could do that though. Is that pipe metal?
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        It's schedule 40 PVC ..... plastic....I don't think it was a mouse

Had a hamster that got out and chewed up the washing machine wires .
      Nice little nest . Red that looks like a rat that got locked in the basement looking for water or wanted to go back in the drains . Probably still down there .

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Man she has a cat that weighs like20 pounds too. Haha

Good man Red, now the rat is in the basement !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Prolly grey, Norwegian in that cool climate ...

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow New England rat ..happy new year brother man

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Editing a comment
        Happy New Decade Brother! I might go for walk when the temp gets up...

She might want to invest in a couple of beaver traps.
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha ...good one Bruce HNYman

Packrat or similar critter, possibly a skirl.

when my mom and dad’s house burned a few years ago, we built him a new one. I did all the electrical and had a lot of input in the rest, even though I’m two hours away. I argued with the plumber until I was red in the face over his use of pex piping for all the potable water lines. For those who don’t know, it’s just flexible plastic tubing that’s cheap and easy to install..

fast forward two years...Pop calls me, says he hears water running inside his wall. Mind you, I’m two hours away, so I call a friend to go shut his water off. I head down after work, and end up cutting a hole in the wall to access the back of the shower, where a packrat had been using the HUgE space around the drain pipe to access the void behind the shower, and had been storing acorns and any number of shiny things. I guess it got thirsty and decided to chew through the water line, soaking the everything. I did call the plumber, and I DID call the plumber a lot of words that were NOT plumber.

anyway, for any of you building or planning to build, don’t use plastic anything for supply/pressurized water lines.
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        I just never seen anything like it that fitting is pretty heavy guage PVC...well if u seen em eat thru wires I guess it's possible..you mean Romex not BX cable right?....BX.is metal clad cable

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Never seen one eat through BX or any MC cable, but the Romex with plastic covering is apparently tasty.

I had a pet fox squirrel when I was a kid, and I would leave him stuff in his cage to chew on to keep him from chewing things he wasn’t supposed to...and he loved a length of pvc pipe about as much as anything. I know that black plumbing pvc is a little more hard than the electrical grey, but they chew on hickory nuts, and they are hard as woodpecker lips.

Lots of people don’t know, but squirrels are like beavers, porcupines, rats, and rabbits. They are rodents, and their teeth never stop growing. They have to gnaw to keep the teeth from growing through their own jaws. They will chew on just about anything.

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Editing a comment
        Now you’ve done it ! Fired me up about that damn pex ! On top of all the snap rings deteriorating , ( Until they figured it out ) they like to size the junk to small... I had better stop myself there before I really go wild !

And looking at the picture again, was it chewed through from the inside? I mean it kinda looks like it...? Did you see shavings about d it on the floor?? Could be a sewer rat/big ole Norwegian like JJ said, especially if the neighbor is attached to city sewer.....
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        No shavings on the floor......yes citysewer line....wow a sewer rat.....

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep....it just wanted to see what was outside the pipe....probably went back in.

I went to sleep last nite thinking about this post. I worried all nite, lol. I hope the BIG critter is not in her cellar. 😬
      HNY, Red!
      South Carolina

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        What? JJ i didn't expect that from a ruff tuff Texan

• Josie
        Josie commented
        Editing a comment
        I would have died, JJ. I'm terrified of mice too.

• Josie
        Josie commented
        Editing a comment
        I would have died, JJ. I'm terrified of mice too.

In December, when I was prepping my mom's house to be sold and moving/cleaning, I went to put something in the recycle bin on her carport. I saw something run by and disappear into a crack in the concrete in the carport. I came home and told my husband that I saw A chipmunk disappear into that crack. He said, no, we don't have chipmunks around here. I know WHAT I saw. Fast forward a week and I went downstairs at her house, which is a walkout basement. That critter was running around. I about died. I couldn't get the screen door open and I was in a full panic. Finally ran to another door, got out, went around to the kitchen door, ran in and shut the door to the downstairs and called my husband, hysterical. He made the 30 minute drive and went downstairs and the critter had died on the stairs. He got it with a dust pan and I asked what kind of critter was it? It was a chipmunk. I told him so! I told him not to doubt me again, lol.
      South Carolina

Comment

Inside job from a big ratfink.
        SE IA

Comment

• redrocks
          redrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes OR inside alright

I was showing my neighbor the pipe...a d just noticed the teeth marks... wow..I really hope that thing is gone from the cellar Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200103_155744_1~2.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	413978 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200103_155733_0~2.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	413979
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Way to go Red
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• redrocks
            redrocks commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Matt ....I try I really do...it's tuff out in the world.these days
        Working...
        X