No announcement yet.

Hungry critter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I smell a rat! Although I’m no fan of squirrels either. One summer a tree rat ate the wiring harness to my van’s ABS system— twice! Honda fixed it the first time as a warranty claim because the gnaw marks weren’t that obvious. A month later the teeth marks were quite apparent. $700 poorer, I trapped 19 squirrels in 3 weeks in Havaheart traps and took them far far away. Of course now the remainder have repopulated & I’m using lethal force! 😡
    Child of the tides

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      I found out recently that Subaru (and likely other auto manufacturers) uses a vendor for the wiring harnesses that uses wire coated in vegetable/soybean oil. It is done to lube the wires for the rollers used in the manufacturing process.

Apparently, rats/mice/skirls find this stuff quite appetizing. Friend of mine’s son had his nearly new Subaru wrecked, in a similar fashion I imagine to what happened to HavenHunter.

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow that's crazy.theyre litterally. Attracting these rodents

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Some plastics, including insulation, is also made of cornstarch... tasty apparently. One nut cruncher ate the knob off my pool gate opener!

Dang put a trail cam in the basement to be sure its gone sure don't want something like that in the walls. Recently I opened the dryer and smelled dead mouse scent. I'm guessing one crawled up my dryer vent and got stuck or couldn't get out when we used the dryer. Finally the smell went away. It's a long ways from the dryer to the outside vent.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      When we built our house, a mouse got in the wall and ate his way out thru the sheetrock in my guest bedroom, about 5 1\2 feet up the wall. I walked in the room to show my daughter and he stuck his head out of the hole. I was about a goner.

That's crazy with a mouse in your vent wow
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
    X