The UV Lamp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The UV Lamp.

I had said that I would show my UV lamp to a few members, that were interested ... This lamp was made for detecting cracks in oilfield drill collar threads. So, the idea is that if your drilling a oil well, then we don’t want to break a collar at a thread at 10,000 ft down or so. That causes a fishing situation or whipstock around the broken collar. Depending on depth of course, the collars are used to push weight on a drill bit. At such depths, if not for having these collars, the drill pipe( As hard as it is to believe) will float. Thus causing the drilling to halt, to add more weight. Enough of that.
    I have used this lamp in times past to inspect artifacts. Really I have no use for it as I don’t buy artifacts. Being of such power it will expose a fake or re-chip and even a later resharpening of flint artifacts. When warmed up( ( 15-20 minutes) it is 10K candlepower ....It is dangerous to the eyes. So much for that. The situation being that the older a artifact ( Or the ones I’ve used it on ) the more orange they glow. That said any recent chip of a artifact will shine, like silver.. Now, I’ve have in the past been sent artifacts and been asked to examine them with this lamp. I’m not going to get into what transpired but as the late H.W. Bush once said and I quote with parody ending “ Not gonna do it, Not going to do it, read my lips, no more inspections !” There were some very unhappy people, to say the least !
    Anyway, a few photos.....JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Neat tool L-Man! Nothing worse than modern re-chips. Could be that it would be useful in some other situations: inspecting your hotel room, night fishing, and such Nice to have such a tool for the tough job of well drilling too - thanks for showing it!
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      It is neat but it is dangerous too. I can’t imagine children finding and plugging it in to play with. I will say this, you’d turn around and leave any and every bathroom including yours, if you were to view the situation with this lamp. The scene will always be ( No matter how clean it looks) simply disgusting ! I don’t do the collar inspections anymore.. This lamp is back from some younger days, but we won’t discuss those unfortunate times...

Awesome tool ....they got em at home Depot?
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Tractor Supply Red ! They quit this particular model , not only will it do eye damage quickly, it will burn your skin all the way through... Now , the most high powered model is at 6K candlelight. This thing is suppose to be used within 10” of whatever is to be inspected...

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow thanks JJ could be dangerous for some
Working...
X