Corona virus reaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
    The ridiculous hysteria can cause more problems than the virus. I'm 73 and diabetic and I will live through this. Butt I might have to wipe with a washcloth.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	41B99CF2-E671-40E8-9F7A-8D2062AC1FBF-19037-000007D73C823725.jpeg
Views:	344
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	431488

Rhode Island

Comment

Elbow-Bump to all my friends
      Sent by satellite I think that's safe

Name:	Elbow_Bump1.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	431595
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

If anyone is interested, this is a global map and some linked information about the virus from Johns Hopkins University. Pretty good, detailed and generally unbiased info.

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University (JHU)
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Here is another helpful page, updated daily. Many informative graphs:

Country-by-country data and research on the pandemic. Updated daily.
        Rhode Island

Comment

I would like to see how long everybody would last in a quarantine before they get bored and give up. I don't think it would take long...

I myself will be looking forward to April, where our field will be plowed up for the first time in 50 years. I expect at least ONE point from this.

Until then, I think I'll dig up several trenches and foxholes in the woods like this guy.

A Cambridge man camping out in a foxhole to raise money and awareness of the sacrifices paratroopers made during World War II says he has not slept a wink. “Sleeping out in a big ole hole is …
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

That’s going to be exciting wow .
            its your time Ethan !!

Comment

• Kentucky point
              Kentucky point commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh I plan on doing it proper. Deep depression in the ground with rock rings like they used in the North Africa campaign.

CW trenches will be modeled off of the ones dug at Cold Harbor.

A chilling scientific study helped upend both American and U.K. coronavirus response strategies.......

This is the study:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

And here is a summary, from the Washington Post, no paywall. This certainly is sobering.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...-us-and-uk-coronavirus-strategies/ar-BB11jVNP

LONDON —Immediately after Boris Johnson completed his Monday evening news conference, which saw a somber prime minister encourage his fellow citizens to avoid "all nonessential contact with others," his aides hustled reporters into a second, off-camera briefing.

That session presented jaw-dropping numbers from some of Britain’s top modelers of infectious disease, who predicted the deadly course of coronavirus could quickly kill hundreds of thousands in both the United Kingdom and the United States, as surges of sick and dying patients overwhelmed hospitals and critical care units.

The report is also influencing planning by the Trump administration. Deborah Birx, who serves as the coordinator of the White House coronavirus task force, cited the British analysis at a news conference Monday, saying her task force was especially focused on the report’s conclusion that an entire household should self-quarantine for 14 days if one of its members is stricken by the virus.

The Imperial College group reported that if nothing was done by governments and individuals and the pandemic remained uncontrolled, then 510,000 would die in Britain and 2.2 million in the United States over the course of the outbreak.

These kinds of numbers are deeply concerning for countries with top-drawer health-care systems. They are terrifying for less-developed countries, global health experts say.

If Britain and the United States pursued much more ambitious measures to mitigate the spread of coronavirus, to slow but not necessarily stop epidemic over the coming few months, they could reduce mortality by half, to 260,000 people in the United Kingdom and 1.1 million in the United States.

Finally, if the British government quickly went all-out to suppress viral spread — aiming to reverse epidemic growth and reduce the case load to a low level — then the number of dead in the country could drop to below 20,000. To do this, the researchers said, Britain would have to enforce social distancing for the entire population, isolate all cases, demand household quarantines of households where anyone is sick, and close all schools and universities — and do this not for weeks but for 12 to 18 months, until a vaccine is available.
            Rhode Island

Comment

A startling new report from Imperial College London warns that 2.2 million Americans and 510,000 Britons could die from coronavirus if extreme action isn't taken to change the course of the outbreak.

Why it matters: The report's dire warnings prompted a quick course correction from both the American and British governments on their strategies, but its strict recommendations and long timeline — 18 months — to stem the tide could have far-reaching implications for both populations and economies.

What they found: The report states the effectiveness of "mitigation," which includes isolating only the sick and those linked to them while advocating social distancing for at-risk groups, is limited. It instead recommends "suppression," a much more wide-ranging tactic to curb coronavirus' spread.
              • The researchers say that suppression "will minimally require a combination of social distancing of the entire population, home isolation of cases and household quarantine of their family members." It also recommends school closures.
              • The report notes that this strategy could have to be in place until a vaccine is developed, which could take 18 months — saying it is "the only viable strategy at the current time."

Worth noting: While China and South Korea have managed to suppress the outbreak using similarly draconian strategies, the report admits that it's not yet clear if suppression's successes can last in the long-term.

The state of play: The findings caused a messaging shift on both sides of the Atlantic.
              • While President Trump had previously brushed off coronavirus concerns and compared it to a winter flu, the White House advised people on Monday to avoid gatherings of 10 or more, stop non-essential travel and avoid bars and restaurants.
              • The U.K. previously allowed its citizens to go about the world more or less as normal, but Prime Minister Boris Johnson walked some of that back this week — admitting that the country was only days behind Italy's outbreak and instituting more strict recommendations for at-risk populations. But it still eschewed lockdowns and closures like those being implemented around the world.
              • The big picture: The New York Times reported that the Imperial College researchers "had shared their projections with the White House task force about a week ago and that an early copy of the report was sent over the weekend."
              • The BBC called the report the "crucial piece of evidence" that spurred Downing Street to act, saying the researchers "first realized the scale of the problem in China" and noting their "advice is heavily influential in government."
              • The bottom line: The report admits that "no public health intervention with such disruptive effects on society has been previously attempted for such a long duration of time."

"How populations and societies will respond remains unclear," it concludes.
              Rhode Island

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
                "How populations and societies will respond remains unclear," it concludes.
                I think it will come down to this. Some places are more compliant to governments and social needs, and others are going to decide individual needs are more important.

China & South Korea took some very strong, and morally offensive actions to control the spread of the virus from my point of view. Hong Kong and Singapore have done a lighter of a version, but still Big Brother invasive procedures to control the spread. But given the density of population here, they needed to take a very aggressive stance. People coming in from an afflicted area are self quarantined for 14 days with a bracelet GPS device (a slimmer version of an ankle monitor some places in the US use for home detention.) The government does spot checks on people, video calls, etc. several times a day to make sure people don't leave quarantine. (If you break quarantine there is a huge fine and you get to go stay at a former leper colony on a different island where you can't escape quarantine. If you aren't a permanent resident you'll likely lose your right to live in HK.)

The first picture is me on my way to the office on a normal day. Regular mask at all times, and we wash our hands basically as often as we can. I normally don't like glasses, but they prevent me from unconsciously touching my eyes (apparently something I do a lot.) We live in one of the apartments behind me, I believe there are 1200 apartments in there between 5 buildings, with an average of 4 people per apartment. (That is several times the population of my hometown.) And I live in a spacious part of town. Some of the public housing buildings can have thousand residents per building and 4 60+ story buildings on an acre of land. If the virus were to get into one of those like the cruise ships or nursing homes it would be chaos.

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	431937

The second picture is me wearing one of the N95 filtration masks because someone in our apartment building was suspected of having the virus. These masks were mandatory for a while, and are very uncomfortable. (I had taken off the bottom strap, but normally wear them properly. Or as properly as I can with my facial hair.) The case was a false alarm, and we could go back to regular masks. There are websites with the buildings there are suspected cases, and actual confirmed cases. Most people use public transportation since everything is close by, and there are lists of bus routes people suspected of having the virus have taken.

Name:	
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	431936

The last picture is an artistic picture showing the concrete jungle many people live in here in Asia.

Name:	
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	431938
                Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• CMD
                  CMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Joshua, thank you for sharing your personal circumstances with us. I agree that the drastic approach of actual nationwide suppression, as opposed to mitigation, will be extraordinarily difficult in the US. This morning I watched videos of young people on Spring break packing a Florida beach. 4-5 were interviewed and expressed no real concern whatsoever. I wish you the best outcome for you and your family.
                  Charlie

• Tam
                  Tam commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Josh it’s like that in Hawaii cement city . High rise after high rise . We were just talking about those people with children leaving the place . They will start fogging next I presume .
                  I live out in the suburbs but those town people . My neighbor fears going to work down town . I always say they fashioned Honolulu’s architect after Hong Kong . I have been there and it’s similar .
                  I could go on about that with housing . Be safe looks like your taking the steps .

I’m tired, I read the entire post...I just want to hunt rocks until I die...
                Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
                  Lindenmeier-Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Also, I need a few forensic accountants. Making a bill out to China..

• Tam
                  Tam commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s the beauty of our hobby get out there L man no people . Healthy and fun.

My brother in law works in the negative pressure rooms in our hospital, and several other close friends work in healthcare. The tsunami is both real and invisible. They know it, few else do though. Think about what will be written about this year. Then think about how absolutely nothing was done for months...MONTHS! I for one am embarrassed and ashamed of American citizens who allow themselves to be lied to. Unacceptable!
                North Carolina

Comment

• CMD
                  CMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If I could "like" this 20 times, I would.

My best friend is in ICU and we get the story .
                Think about it for just one minute.
                world wide attractions and destinations have shut down .
                VEGAS SHUT DOWN
                DISNEY SHUT DOWN
                Basic places our malls ( Macy’s )
                This list goes on .
                To be very positive take steps in your self isolation to exercise . Go for walks , home gyms or get your bike out .
                It’s important to keep a healthy body and mind .
                Be smart everyone ... do whats needed and nothing more
                In survival classes the one of the top things is keeping your mind , body and hygiene up .

Comment

• CMD
                  CMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I pray your friend pulls though, Tam. Sorry to hear this.

I guess we are just waiting to see if we all will be quarantined at this point and time. If it happens I wish everyone good luck and hope for the best.
                NW Georgia,

Comment

pass the word..

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• Tam
                    Tam commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like the grocery store one with the gun so funny .💂🏻‍♀️I will translate what he says to the guys in Russian very good very good .

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Working...
                  X