No announcement yet.

Corona virus reaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No quarantine as of yet in my part of Georgia. County I live in has the 2nd highest cases with Atlanta being #1. Still working and trying to keep my distance from customers. It's hard to do sometimes when you think you are okay and you turn around and 3-4 people are standing by you. I guess most aren't thinking on the 6 foot rule when they shop. I just stop what I'm doing and walk away holding my breath. Hoping I don't get that stuff. I wish people would have more respect for others.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• clovisoid
      clovisoid commented
      Editing a comment
      If you can, wash your hands regularly with warm water and lots of soap, and avoid rubbing your eyes/nose/face until your hands are clean.

Joshua

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I do that often. Its just frustrating that you see the same people every day. Wish they would regulate the shopping some how.

Last night one of my next-door neighbours was whisked away by guys in full hazmat suits. He'd been ill for a week with a high fever and both he and his wife had self-isolated, but he wasn't getting better. Kind of scary, that close to home and his wife was really upset. They're both in their 70s.

One of my dear American friends in NJ has been diagnosed positive too. She's a nurse in a care home and has been working front-line checking the elderly.

The whole country is now in semi-enforced lock-down for at least three weeks... no leaving home unless you are a front-line worker, are shopping infrequently for food, medicine and other essentials (shops have closed unless they sell such items and no bars or restaurants are open), or helping a vulnerable person. One excursion a day allowed for excercise. No gatherings of more than two people. Of course there are many disrespecters of those rules, but further legislation is in the pipeline for rigid enforcement.

I sure hope it does the trick in flattening the curve.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Pain, my own barrister first diagnosed my county. He’d been going back and forth Atlanta see dying dad in hospice. Funeral held Baton Rouge. Came home sick. It is scary, so very close. You and Mrs. Pain take extra pains keep safe, please.

The virus, without a positive test, makes seeking medical treatment for my elderly mom almost impossible. She had to be taken to the ER on Sunday by ambulance. I couldn't go with her because of hospital restrictions that are now in place. The nurses were great to call me every couple of hours. The last phone call, before they called me to pick her up, I was informed she has a broken back. Took her to neurosurgeon on Monday and he doesn't want to do anything for a month. Upon returning to her assisted living facility, she was out in quarantine for the next 14 days because she had been out of the facility. Neurosurgeon said he expected clinics to close. It's very frustrating. She has a broken back, not the sniffles. She needs medical treatment.
    South Carolina

Comment

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you both. Praying for all of you as well.

• tomf
      tomf commented
      Editing a comment
      That's just terrible. I am so sorry.

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      O, Josie. My mom 90. So independent, lives by self w/dog. Always up, and going, going, going; her life much fuller than mine. She’s weathering like trouper she is, but hard for her not leave property. My heart is with you, especially since own mom is strongest, happiest person I know. (Guess living w/my dad made her that way!)

Originally posted by flintguy View Post
    I've had issues were I am. This is a complete over reaction. I think most of us on here like to do research and dig a little past what we are told, find things out by reading more than one take on any subject. If you spend any time looking into the facts behind Corona, you realize it's not worth a fraction of the news coverage. The hysteria is going to cause way more issues than the newest version of the flu, which is all this basically is. If some statistics pan out, it won't even be as deadly as the last two versions of the flu going around now.
    I really think you are wrong, but don't take it from me, listen to the medical experts and look at the world's response.

Though nobody knows the extent of damage and suffering this pandemic will inflict, all experts agree it has the potential to be devastating.

Right now in NYC, of people presenting with symptoms at hospitals 20% are serious enough to be admitted. 3% go straight to ICU.

Add to that the fact that serious cases may require a ventilator for up to twenty days.

Look at the numbers involved, look at the resources available, then do the math.

In case you feel your age and health will protect you, it's worth noting that though death rate is low amongst the young, serious illness is not.

You may need hospital treatment and if it's not available you may die.

Good news is we can make a difference if we are all on the same page and do the required mitigation (social distancing etc).
    Bad news is we are not all on the same page.

Please don't take this as a personal attack on your intelligence. I know you are not an idiot and neither are the many others that share your opinion. I believe this confusion is directly related to the toxic political division in this country.

The terrible government messaging around this crisis has caused much of the country to underestimate the risks.

The media , in spite of it's sensational nature, has been doing what the government failed to. We should be grateful.

I know we are straying into political territory on this thread. I can't see how that can be avoided. Thing is, I care about you guys and want you to be safe. Please take this reply in that spirit and if it's earns a ban, I'll take it.

California

Comment

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Worried for everyone safety. A few things, first this post was started awhile back, more info every day changes the landscape of judgment. However did you see what Neil Ferguson had to say yesterday? Know who he is? No? Look him up and understand he was one of the main voices calling for shutdowns. Now, no one is quoting him. There are severe consequences all around. A more measured approach probably should have been taken on all sides.
      Last edited by flintguy; 03-26-2020, 05:45 PM.

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      flintguy, I believe you are misinterpreting Ferguson. I go into some detail with this in post #69 of this thread....

Central Ohio

Comment

• tomf
      tomf commented
      Editing a comment
      BTW, flintguy, I didn't realize your post was from way back, of course the view has changed since then.

Please accept my apologies.

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Apology accepted. As I said, more information is coming in every day. Unfortunately it's not an easy thing to get your head around. Unprecedented experience.

Neil Ferguson is exactly the sort of expert we should be listening to. His revision of his initial modelling is extremely encouraging. However, his new numbers are based on UK continuing with it's (now) strict mitigation policies. If people fail to comply or restrictions are relaxed too early his numbers go out the window.

As for his assertion that most corona deaths would die anyway, perhaps that's statistically true, but it ignores the fact that these are people's loved ones and the hundreds, if not thousands, of young healthy people that will either die or be permanently injured..

That's where there can be a dispute between science and ethics.

As for minds changing with the situation, that can only be good.

California

Comment

I’m sitting here shaking my head because I just came into this discussion and the difference in attitudes from the first post to now is almost a 180. COVID-19 is deadly... period!

When the first case was identified in the US, something told me this was going to be a pandemic and I began to prepare. I stockpiled things you can’t even find anymore, loaded the freezer, bought extra dog food & had my doctor give me 2 month’s worth of my prescription Rx.

At times I felt I was over reacting but as the virus spread from WA to CA to the East Coast, I no longer felt like an alarmist. I warned my adult children and they too prepared.

This evening it was announced that we now have more cases in fewer days than China or Italy. The proverbial 💩 has hit the fan. As in Aesop’s fable where the cricket fiddled the summer away while the ants worked, this country is about to learn a hard lesson re. facts vs. denial.

I pray all of you on the forum heed the advice of your governors and medical professionals. Stay safe.
      Child of the tides

Comment

• cgode
        cgode commented
        Editing a comment
        Healthcare professionals and first responders will be hit the hardest.....severe lack of personal protective equipment is turning into a huge failure

• tomf
        tomf commented
        Editing a comment
        That's true. We have to do everything to support the health-workers. They shouldn't be exposed to this kind of risk. Limited to a mask a shift or having to wear a trashbag, instead of new scrubs, is just unacceptable.
        Though I support the idea that states need to take the lead on their own defence, there has to be national coordination and, for a moment, a suspension of business as usual. The fact the states are involved in bidding wars for equipment, with each other and the feds, is insane. There has to be coordination and price control. We can get back to ripping each other off later.

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Most of us not young. But same factor makiing us more vulnerable, hopefully made us wiser, more vigilant, more appreciative of not only of seriousness of situation but also of wonderful things still around us. (This my attitude self-drilled minute by minute basis. Most times faking it til making it.... I hope!)

"Hospitals on the front lines of the pandemic are engaged in a heated private debate over a calculation few have encountered in their lifetimes - how to weigh the “save at all costs” approach to resuscitating a dying patient against the real danger of exposing doctors and nurses to the contagion of coronavirus.

The conversations are driven by the realization that the risk to staff amid dwindling stores of protective equipment - such as masks, gowns and gloves - may be too great to justify the conventional response when a patient "codes," and their heart or breathing stops....

....Some of the most anxiety-provoking minutes in a health-care worker's day involve participating in procedures that send virus-laced droplets from a patient's airways all over the room."

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/20...-resuscitate-orders-for-coronavirus-patients/
      Rhode Island

Comment

In the original paper that included Ferguson as the lead author, models of 1)doing nothing, 2)aggressive mitigation, and, finally, 3)suppression, led to different estimates of infections and deaths. The suppression model resulted in less than 20,000 deaths in the UK. Was that estimate not in the original paper? I posted a link to the paper earlier in this thread. Sounds like the U.K. leaned toward suppression as the strategy. A "more measured" approach would lead to far more deaths, and it will in the US as well, I would imagine.

I've been trying to keep up with US and local conditions, more than Great Britain, but, it does sound to me that Ferguson is here talking about Great Britain practicing suppression, which was predicted to lead to the least deaths, under 20,000, in their original paper. So, I'm not sure Ferguson is really flip flopping at all. It sounds rather that Great Britain adopted the most agressive of the three models, suppression.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/...geable-levels/

Todays developments in RI have been arresting. Our governor is stationing state police at our border with Ct., on Interstate 95, to stop all cars with New York plates. They must self quarantine for 14 days if they plan on staying in RI. The RI National Guard will be stationed at bus and train stations, for the same purpose. Obviously, people can enter RI from NY on secondary roads.
        Last edited by CMD; 03-26-2020, 08:57 PM.
        Rhode Island

Comment

• Havenhunter
          Havenhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I hope it’s effective. It’s human nature to flee danger & those New Yorkers with second homes felt it was their prerogative to head there, likely never thinking about putting others at risk.
          I understand Nantucket has told visitors & property owners in general to stay away

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          Block Island, too. Visitors stay away...

The only reason I am posting this is I am proud of my son for thinking about it. He collected 300 unused 3M N95 masks from the ones that we distributed to our team members here in HK when the outbreak first hit, and are sending them back to a hospital in Michigan where doctors/nurses have been using the same ones for up to a week straight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	434275
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Josie
          Josie commented
          Editing a comment
          You are raising a good young man!

• gregszybala
          gregszybala commented
          Editing a comment
          You did good and congratulate your son

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          My! I would burst with pride!

What a good kid u raised ....good job
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Self isolation, day 10..
          Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like ZombieZooZombieZoo.
          If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

NC governor had just issued a stay-at-home edict. I suspect my own state of VA will soon follow suit.
            Child of the tides

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              I heard that. Georgia needs to do the same for at least 2 weeks if for no other reasons but just to fill the shelves back up.

No shelter in place orders for RI as yet....

And the state will take it a step further, regarding identifying New Yorkers. National Guard troops will go door to door in summer communities where New Yorkers own cottages, or more substantial homes, identifying New Yorkers, informing them of the 14 day self quarantine requirement. Police stationed at roads entering Westetly, RI, our SW corner town, on the Atlantic, bordering Ct. This town, and Charleston, RI, next town east, have a lot of summer cottages on or near the ocean. Residents are concerned, since these normally summer residents are using local markets once they are here, that they will bring the virus into our Atlantic coastal communities. So Democrat Gina Raimondo is our governor, and now I'm just hearing this latest proactive step to identify New Yorkers arriving early, no doubt to escape the epicenter in New York. I'm guessing police are stationed at any secondary roads entering RI, from Ct., as well.

Any New Yorker stopped, must identify the address they will stay at in RI, so they can be kept track of.

"Rhode Island Police to hunt down any New Yorkers seeking refuge":

Well, that is one way to put it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...seeking-refuge

Better video, IMO:

Last edited by CMD; 03-28-2020, 09:50 AM.
            Rhode Island

Comment

• gregszybala
              gregszybala commented
              Editing a comment
              Have the same happening here in NW Indiana and SW Michigan along the shores of Lake Michigan less the National Guard. More Chicagoan's here than in the height of summer.

This is just the beginning of what's to come stay home and stay safe .

Comment

• Havenhunter
              Havenhunter commented
              Editing a comment
              No are do right! Our country’s fractured response is a patchwork filled with loose threads, unraveling as we speak.
          Working...
          X