Joy Amidst the Gloom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joy Amidst the Gloom

As the wife and I weather the crisis, and we are both pretty sick, myself especially, something happened that you read about happening to others, but never expect to happen to you. Until, suddenly, it does.

My wife was one of six. Her mother, one of 18(!), a French Canadian family. Their ancestor sailed with Jacques Cartier, to explore Canada and the St. Lawrence in 1534. Another ancestor was one of the first 20 French families to settle Quebec.

Sometime in the early 1900's, the family moved to Vt., where they owned a farm. Then to Woonsocket, RI. It was an Irish city, my own forebears lived there, but it became a French enclave, and French is still taught in their schools.

Anyway, my wife, Helen, and all 5 of her siblings were put up for adoption. For reasons too complex to go into here. My wife was eventually adopted by her mother's brother, so her adoptive father is her uncle. The oldest was Raymond. My wife grew very close to him, for the two years she knew him. He was killed by a mortar round at the battle of Dak To, Vietnam, 1967. To this day, my wife cannot watch or read anything about the Vietnam War.

The next oldest was John, who was raised by a relative of his mother. Next was Helen, raised by her mother's brother. The next two siblings were Anne and Peter. They were lost to their siblings, all anyone knew is that they were both adopted by a family in Westerly, RI. Anne was born 70 years ago, Peter about 68. The youngest was Steven, the only half brother, as he had a different father.

Over the years I have been with Helen, I have often thought "wouldn't it be wonderful if only Helen could find her lost siblings?"

Well, last week, her youngest brother Steven emailed her to say he had taken a DNA test, and that their sister, Anne, had been given a DNA test as a gift within the past month. And Steven found her!! He shared an email he received from Anne. She knew she had an older brother killed in Nam, but she did not know her other siblings even existed. We have exchanged emails, and a few phone calls. She still lives in Westerly, RI, with three grown sons, and three grandchildren. I was in near tears when I spoke to her. I told her I live now for the day I can watch my Helen hug her full sister for the first time in 70 years! Of course we have shared photos, including the first photos of her mother, and her mother's siblings, that Anne has ever seen. She is simply overwhelmed. We all are.

Peter is still missing, alas, and may be living in Canada, but that's all Anne knew. I am so happy for Helen, her brothers, and Helen's new sister! Helen thinks 70 years may be a record for the length of time before a reunion. I don't know, but it's a moment of supreme joy in the middle of these dangerous times. Something that happens to others has happened to us!

Here is my wife's ancestral 17th century homestead, still standing on the St. Lawrence, Quebec:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4568.PNG
Views:	245
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	436593

And here is the family ancestral home, in Normandy, France, also still standing:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4569.PNG
Views:	172
Size:	864.8 KB
ID:	436594

Rhode Island

That is a great story Charlie I am very happy for your wife .
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Matt!

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy for you as well for what makes Her happy will sure bring a smile to your face as well. Hope your both feeling better soon.

Wow Charlie that's a beautiful story. Good for ur wife...I hope you guys are feeling better soon!
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Red. A dream come true!

Very touching, May God continue to bless you folks.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much, Harold!

WoW Charlie, That is just awesome.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, I'm still pinching myself, lol. Thank you, Ron!

Awesome story Charlie.....I can almost see the smile on Helen’s face! Hope you two feel better soon, didn’t know you guys had fallen ill....if ya need anything let me know, I’ll drop it on your steps.
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Chris. Very kind of you! BTW, love that new avatar!

Charlie, that is so awesome! The absolute best news I've read in a very long time. Such an exciting reunion about to happen!
    South Carolina

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Josie. It just blew us all away!

Charlie, my heart felt congratulations go out to your wife's entire family. I was very worried that first that you were going to give us the horrible news re covid-19 and then you threw in the wonderful news.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Bruce!
      Last edited by CMD; 04-05-2020, 09:04 PM.

A very heart worming story..Congrats to your wife and wishing you and your family the best...
    North Central Kentucky

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, man...

Could only imagine Helen's joy. Hope those hugs come soon and last long.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Helen shed tears of joy, Greg. What a happy ending! Thank you, Greg!

Godsend !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen, brother!

What a great story Charlie and I really enjoyed the photos .
    Really makes you wonder about taking one of these DNA tests as it may link you to some interesting past .
    I wonder if these tests are universal and link you
    to other countries . I would need this .
    You would have to look that up but one of the holocaust
    survivors has a very old reunion .
    This is a cause for great celebration .

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Tam. Years ago, I did a male DNA test for all men with my surname. But I think this may be autosomal(so?) test that finds people that must be related. I keep putting that off, and the DNA company I used, Family Tree DNA, already has my DNA sample, only $59, so I should do the autosomal test someday. One of my wife's uncles, her dad is the last of the 18 siblings, traced her geneology back to the 13th century. Those photos are priceless, just part of a remarkable genealogical record for her mom's line.

I do something stupid when I get a little depressed: I shut down, and don’t do things that give me pleasure (even the good, healthy things, like reading this forum!). But, gotta tell you, when did resurface and read this post, made me very happy!
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• tomclark
      tomclark commented
      Editing a comment
      I do the same thing, Cece.. and feel the same way about this forum and posts here!

That is awesome news Charlie!
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Thank you for bringing a smile to my face today.
      Wonderful story.
      Northern Ky

Comment

Working...
      X