Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books

Since it's been hotter that satan's crack and haven't been arrowhead hunting I've been on a Stephen King kick here lately. I just finished reading the Shawshank Redemption short story (one of my all time favorite movies) and the movie was about 90% accurate, as with all movies made from books there is always some added and some taken away. Has anyone read any good books lately?
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Currently reading the Frontiersman, an excellent historical account of the Ohio valley.
    North Central Kentucky

Comment

• KyChipStone
      KyChipStone commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it is Olden...Blew my lower back out last week so lots of laying down for awhile and no hunting. Very much enjoying the read and would recommend it to anyone from the area..

• Owen70
      Owen70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great book! I’ve read the whole series and just finished The Dark and Bloody
      River, also by Eckert.

• KyChipStone
      KyChipStone commented
      Editing a comment
      Have not completed the series yet but looking forward to it..

Now that ya mentioned it , my daughter has taken up teaching the great grandkids cuzz of this no school thing, so I been reading some of the books,, I thought this one had a good presentation, It’s good stuff, course they’re more interested in catching butterflies and lizards, ( boys ), she’s a tomboy, wonder how that happened?
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Oops
      Click image for larger version

Name:	B9769ED3-9B19-485F-A7D4-A872BA16F11B.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	461462
      Floridaboy.

Comment

This one is lighthearted and humorous. Makes me laugh.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	81PuZCZsPrL.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	461467
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Olden
          Olden commented
          Editing a comment
          That kitty's no fool.. even though the clips been removed ,he knows there's one still in the chamber!

Hey Mike I was watching that movie this morning. I've seen it a few times has a cool ending
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Infinite Game by Simon Sinek. It's a business book, but it's a pretty interesting one as far as corporate books go.

Another book that I read recently (for probably the 3rd time completely, and start/stop several times) is "The subtle art of not giving a f#$%" by Mark Manson. The title, and the near constant use of the f-word aside (and I rarely swear), it's a really decent book about finding a couple of things worth caring about and then not stressing about the rest of the stuff. If you focus on a couple of things that matter, you are more productive and, at least in my case, a generally happier person.

I'm also a fan of Stephen King, it's been a couple of years since I've read one, but I think I've read most of them through say 2015 or so. Great books for sitting down in the shade or on a rainy day and just chill out.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• antmike915
            antmike915 commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree Clovis, he has a way with character development.

• Artifascination
            Artifascination commented
            Editing a comment
            So very true Clovisoid! If we mainly focus on the few things that actually matter in our own lives and let go of all the drama and negativity that is everywhere around us then it would leave much more time to be productive in a positive way. This world could be a better place if everyone followed that advice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8A798EA3-5691-4BBB-804F-50B1918A1661.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	96.0 KB ID:	461945 This my Click image for larger version

Name:	8B633752-ACAB-46A9-BF05-3EF07A3FEFC3.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	461946 library (or part). It’s trashed, but all four walls from floor to ceiling. When stressed, I grab old familiars, and nothing new.
          Last edited by Cecilia; 06-16-2020, 09:20 AM.
          Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s a girl after
            Mine own heart!
            Love books!

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            Pretty cool... A branch of the Savanna River Library, Hmmm, I think I might have an overdue book,

I too like stephen king ant....the body...which is stand by me is good...misery...pet semetary..to name a few..i agree...the movies are about 90 percent accurate to the books account
          Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            Up until about 7 years ago I had read everything he ever wrote. The Stand was his greatest work, by a wide margin, and if you can find the uncut version(it’s huge, something like a thousand pages) it’s even better. I read the original when he first published it. They made him edit out some 300 pages. Said no one would ever buy a book a thousand pages long, and probably would t buy one 700 either. Man were they wrong. When he got more famous, they re-released the whole thing, and I read it again.

The movie was pretty good, but it needed to be about a month long to equal the book.

Anyone wanting to do some fairly interesting reading/research, if you can find a copy of Phillips Ford, and Griffith’s “an archaeological survey in the lower Mississippi alluvial plain“...it’s an excellent read. Especially the parts where they have the notes from Desoto’s expedition.

Basically, they did a huge survey to find out where the rivers were during the Desoto time frame so they could eliminate or narrow down sites, so they could nail down where Desoto’s party crossed the Mississippi. The meanderings of it and the St. Francis over just 400 years is insane.

It’s pretty cool how they tried to prove and disprove each school of thought on the crossing location based on the notes. The chronicled what they saw and how many days it took to get to each village, what they saw when they got there, the terrain, etc.

They never were able to pin one theory down over another at that time, but I think they were leaning heavily on the Helena Crossing.

Evidence of the expedition was found years later at the Parkin site when a dig uncovered a Spanish Chevron glass bead from that time period, and Parkin fit one of the descriptions of the sites visited.

It’s just a cool read, plus there’s pictures and maps, and I love both those things.

Most better (university)libraries should have a copy, but it’s been out of print since the 50’s I think, so it’s kind of hard to find.

• antmike915
            antmike915 commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree Jethro, the Stand was great and I have read the uncut version about a year ago. I remember the 90's TV series, what I remember it was pretty good but they left alot out (which is usual). I really liked 11-22-63 and Mr. Mercedes, those are the most recent ones I've read.

Originally posted by Benji View Post
          I too like stephen king ant....the body...which is stand by me is good...misery...pet semetary..to name a few..i agree...the movies are about 90 percent accurate to the books account
            • all those mentioned are great Benji, I haven't read "the body" but always loved "Stand by Me"
          🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            Mike, of all the books he wrote, the movie on that one followed the book about as closely as any, except maybe Salem’s lot...
            Excellent story. It was in a series of shorts called “different seasons” when first published. A big thick hardback with 4 separate stories in it. The Body, Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil ...Can’t remember the other one...

Hey Jethro; "The breathing method " is the other story, I just read Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption and I have read Apt. Pupil a few years back; Different Seasons been sitting on my bookshelf for years. I do plan on reading the body soon.
          🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes...that’s it.👍

Just finished "A Brief History Of Time" by Stephen Hawking. Really good but a long read as I had to read some chapters 3 times to understand what he was writing.
          SE IA

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Me, too. But read lotsa stuff over-my-head!

Made my brain hurt.

stephen Hawking was toooo smart.
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I always read, but I have a disturbing lack of books about prehistoric peoples of North America. Mostly I read books about war, or reference books. Right now I am reading "The Longest Day", one of the best and detailed narratives of D-Day out there. In the past few months, I have read:

Air Command

The Stone Wall

The Killer Angels

Overstreet Guidebook 15th Edition (hey, It's a book, am I right?)

And numerous reference books from WWII history, to Civil War ammunition, to German helmets, and books about 1940s-1980s railroading.

There are books I want to read, such as "D-Day with the Screaming Eagles 101st Airborne", "Behind Hitler's Lines: The True Story of the Only Soldier to Fight for Both America and the Soviet Union in World War II" and "Stuka Pilot".

I'm also on the lookout for books on the Paleoindians, The Folsum culture and related points, as well as books on the Mississippians.
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Benji
              Benji commented
              Editing a comment
              I got into war history for a minute...specifically on vietnam, cuz my dad served and i wanted to learn more because he doesnt speak of it....read some on the hunt for saddam....have "no easy day" about the bin laden hunt but havent read thru it yet....ive been trying to catch up on some native material as well

• Kentucky point
              Kentucky point commented
              Editing a comment
              One of my all time favorite books is "Growing up in Vietnam". If you can find it, read it. It's a great book.

Right now im reading the title about the middle archaic of the cumberland river and then i believe all move on to the book about the 20000 yr history of natives in north America...anyone read these? Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_173658.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	464466 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_173749.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	464467
            Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Gosh. I’m such in a fog, didn’t even know ‘bout these. Gonna order!
          Working...
          X