• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat pennys

Click image for larger version

Name:	C5B1E4B4-2553-451A-B5A4-4CD0E1EF274D.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	485684 Do not do this. Big trouble. Leave my name out.
    these were done with tape to hold from jiggling off rail.
    if you want one twice as flat, smear generous dollop of grease on track, place penny in the middle of.
    please dont do this and if you do, remember to, leave my name out of it...
    N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

I never knew the grease trick, but someone who looks a lot like me, might have done that a lot as a kid growing up... Didn't use the tape either, just put them on the shiney spots in tracks and over a couple of days of replacing them a couple would get flattened. I'm sure if I were to metal detect that area, I'd find a bunch of 1970's and 80's pennies, and probably some from previous generations of kids who did it.

Tape seems like such easy way of doing it. I remember one kid tried it with nickels, but lost the nickels so no one ever went that rich again.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Only tried it one time with a nickel, I guess it’s still out there somewhere...
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Copper is softer and works best. Someone told me that. :-)
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

My friends and I tried it a few times when we were kids with pennies, quarters, dimes and nickles (never with half dollars, silver dollars or Susan B Anthony's), even combinations sitting side by side on the tracks ( which looked wierd). There was this old railroad crossing bridge going over the Chattahoochee River connecting Columbus Georgia with Phenix City Alabama and on the Columbus side at the start of the bridge you could actually lean against the rails as the trains go by (back against the rails) and the train would only be a foot from you as it went by. We did that once and I swore to never even consider doing that again, bright ideas from the youthful mind 🙂.
          🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Better than putting old refrigerators on the train tracks like we did in college...
            Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

• tomclark
              tomclark commented
              Editing a comment
              ....or a snowman taken from the box freezer and put out for the bus in the middle of the road in August...

As a kid we would look for the flat pennies that other kids placed and lost after they had fell off the tracks
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

looks like the pennies you put in the machines in the parks to press a design in them and flatten them, never live close enough to a train track to think of that.
              South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Ahh childhood fun , remember it well
                Wyoming

Comment

We did that a couple times back then, we were po though. Anyway we got to looking for sulfur chunks, and coal. We’d melt the smaller chunks of sulfur , that fascinated all us guys. I hate that they don’t have a caboose anymore, that was the most important car to me....I even remember seeing hobo’s , always wished I had one of their modified nickels ...
                  Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I have seen an old riding lawnmower get completely destroyed. I think I could find a piece of it today.
                    N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

Yep....i remember "seeing" that done....good times...never thought about refrigerator or a riding lawnmower 🤣.....i have seen what itd do to a delorean....back to the future part 3
                      Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

i admit....i'm the "tourist" that collects the ones from the penny presses at tourist locations......(yes, i even have the little book they go in! lol)....but i can admit it will remind me where i've been when i get "old".....

Comment

Okay everyone, I looked it up. No one will ever come and arrest you for flattening pennies! I did it myself when young. Kim
                          Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Back in the 50s when they made real caps we would tape a whole roll on the edge of the rails. Not a lot of pop but smoke was cool. was fun being a kid.
                            SE IA

Comment

Working...
                            X