Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the strangest/creepiest/weirdest/most historical story/legend/thing you connect with in your neck of the woods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the strangest/creepiest/weirdest/most historical story/legend/thing you connect with in your neck of the woods?

it's that time of the year! C'mon, fess up! i know ya'll have some stories about your home areas (or places you've lived/visited in the past.)
    doesn't have to be morbid, but the stranger/spookier the better! ghost stories, local legends, personal experiences, etc.....all are welcome!

I'll start with a few......

1) Joplin Spook Light-(Joplin, Missouri) The oldest legend is the story of a Quapaw Indian maiden who fell in love with a young brave. However, her father would not allow her to marry the man as he did not have a large enough dowry. The pair eloped but were soon pursued by a party of warriors. According to the legend, when the couple was close to being apprehended, they joined hands above the Spring River and leaped to their deaths. It was shortly after this event that the light began to appear and was attributed to the spirits of the young lovers. The lights are the spirits trying to find each other.

I've seen it myself, twice......age 13 and again at 40-something

2) I live 30 miles from the spot where Bonnie and Clyde were ambushed in 1934. been there many times, and have followed some of their routes around ARK/LA/MO/OK/TX.

3) my BFF and I take "time rift" trips. when we go out of town for concerts, shopping, road trip, whatever......we surprise each other by going to an unannounced spot, and surprising the other with...."by the way.....on this spot on this date, THIS happened".......and we watch the other person react to the info. one of the best ones was when we went to St. Louis for a concert and we went to a cemetery. I made him close his eyes and led him to a particular gravestone. then I told him to OPEN!.....and he was staring at the gravestone of William S. Burroughs (1960s Beat generation author). best reaction ever. (we were Art majors in school, and love art/music/travel)

Your turn!

Once upon a time in paradise,...I was digging a site on a bluff above a lake, it was a typical Florida winter day most of the maples and cypress surrounding the field had lost their leaves, living Spanish moss was making ghostly movements in a slight wind, and a stillness beyond quiet was my only companion...I was to experience something I had felt before in a dim past...Abruptly the hair on my neck came to attention as did I ( without mincing words I was scared sh- - - less ) ... I knew something or someone was watching from within the camouflage of grey darkness along the tree line...Adrenaline kicked my butt into emergency fright ‘n flight mode and at warp speed ( which is feet running but not touching the ground ) I made a swift exit to safety, needless to say I never went back ( and I was finding stuff )..You name it, I’ve hunted, fished and been around every thing that lives in Florida, and no, it wasn’t any of them ...You know what I’m gonna say...It was Bigfoot...BOO !...Wasn’t it,???..P.S. I had to buy a new shovel,
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Cskelton
      Cskelton commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe some new underwear too?

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      It was the Ghost of Buckwheat !

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	495221 https://www.exploresouthernhistory.com/juanortiz.html
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      I had no idea this was the same Ortiz in the Desoto Chronicles..
      Thanks for sharing.

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Don’t know what happened to my comment, but here it is again,,, love that mound, last time I was there I was going to SPJC, in 60, good legend, never heard it, Spanish history is thick in this area, private house on the mound as I recall.

There was an old abandoned house not far from where I grew up, it sat back off the road about a 1/4 of a mile in the woods. As a kid I always wanted to go and explore it but my parents told me an old witch used to live there so I stayed away. After many years curiosity got the better of me so my buddy and I made the trek through the woods. When we arrived at the old house it appeared to be a normal single story structure built in the late 1800'. The only thing different was the massive stone chimney that covered almost the entire east end of the house. We entered through an open door and explored the house, nothing seemed weird or abnormal until we entered the basement. On the east wall was the biggest fireplace I have ever seen, had to be 10' long and 6' deep, some of the nicest stonework ever, however, next to the fireplace sat 6 massive copper kettles. The kettles were big enough that a person could sit in one comfortably. Maybe my parents were telling the truth.
    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Burroughs was a talented writer that took to many acid trips, along with other exploration drugs. To me the scariest thing I’ve seen thus far is 2020 ! Boo !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Once while working in a civil war era house I had to do something in the stairwell to the basement (dirt floor dug out area). There was no power to this part of the house, I relied on reflected daylight to see. I was alone in the house. As I was finishing up, the stairwell grew dark as if someone was standing at the top blocking the light. I was surprised by that considering I was alone all day. Turn to look up, though I saw someone walk by. Went up, no one. Shrugged it off, climbed back down to finish. Two minutes later, it happened again. This time I swear I caught a glimpse of a figure. I heard some rustling around up there. Was positive the home owner must have come in. Yelled up "hello...down here". No response. Came back up, looked all around the house, no one and locked doors. Got a cold chill, I left immediately for the day. Felt silly, finished the next day with no incidents.
        Central Ohio

Comment

Well my neck of the woods is unique in my opinion.

Very dark and deep chasms and sinkholes and caves are everywhere around here. Deep cuts through the ridge lines snake everywhere and everything is covered in thick woods. It is exceptionally dark out at night. And I'm not lying, but you constantly feel like you're being watched. I've walked through the woods alone at night in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Ohio. I felt fine in those woods. Here, I'm scared. Dark imposing trees, and the fact that we have so many holes in the ground is something to worry about too.

As for local legends, we have a few. One of our best examples, is the Grayson Lake Monster. People (including a very good and trustworthy friend) have seen a tall dark brown hominoid watching them from the woods near the lake. At night, whatever it is starts howling and roaring. It's been there for years, and I've seen the footprints of this thing, and people have casts and hairs proudly sitting on shelves in their homes and shops.

One legend that kinda died out in the 1910s, was a wherewolf creature that attacked clay miners and tore em' to pieces.

Another legend, which is more believable, is a bit more South of where I live, in a bordering county. "Devil Dogs" aka wild dogs bigger than wolves, with glowing eyes, and foamy mouths and long fangs, began roaming around terrorizing loggers and coal miners for years. Then another creature showed up at the same time, called the Hellhound. Someone actually did kill the Hellhound, and to this day no one really knows what it was, but it was huge. There were cash bounties offered by people back then for the Devils Dogs, and one by one they got killed until about 1920, they stopped showing up.
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Oh, and what about this story from my mom and dad.

When my mom and dad got married, they visited Gettysburg a lot. They loved walking the battlefield early in the morning. Once, they arrived at the crack of dawn. It was a crystal clear, quiet summer morning. They were walking beside Devils Den. Then all of a sudden, a thick mist rolled in, and they heard very clearly, reveille being played on the drums, and a soft bugle call in the distance. They walked towards the sound, as it kept playing, and the sound never got louder, or quieter. They followed the sounds of the drums for about five minutes, before they stopped, faded away, and the mists rolled back. They searched that area for hours, looking for a prankster drum player, and even went to the office, finding nothing.
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

I grew up on a mission compound situated on the banks of lake Yarinacocha, Peru. The lake was created when the Ucayali river (a tributary of the Amazon river) changed course and left a long candy cane shaped lake. When rainy season came, the lake would overflow it's banks, sometimes up to thirty feet! The mission airstrip was surrounded by thick jungle on the opposite side from the compound. When the water would recede, a swamp would be left in part of that jungle and still further from the airstrip, a natural canal.
              ​As a young boy I would fish in the canal and hunt birds and such. One day, I was hunting in the stretch of jungle in between the canal and the swamp. With me were two brothers from the Hashaníca tribe, Lloni (Junior) and Zedequias. We were carefully winding our way through a maze of palms covered in three inch long thorns. Occasionally, we would stop to pull thorns from our feet or chop at an obstacle in our way. As we neared the swamp, the jungle became unusually quiet and the overhead tree canopy blocked out much of the sunlight. I can remember the stagnant smell of the swamp with it's brown water and clumps of water hyacinth. You could only see a short distance into the swamp because the jungle was so dense, but it was what you couldn't see that had me concerned. I had heard stories of people, even adults, who were attacked and eaten.
              Just across the lake there was a Shipibo village, where a mother turned around just in time to see her three year old son get snatched off their hut steps by a hungry anaconda. Disappearing into the murky water.

Just then, a splash broke the silence a stones throw from us in the swamp! You could see water ripping away from whatever had dropped off a leaning, dead tree. For a moment our eyes met, mine and my companions that is. Although we couldn't speak each other's language, we could communicate through broken spanish and hand signs. Anaconda was all that was spoken before we high tailed it out of there. Could it have been a dead chunk of wood that finally lost it's battle to fungi and gravity? Possibly, but we will never know for sure.
              Last edited by Narrow Way Knapper; 10-11-2020, 06:34 PM.
              South Carolina

Comment

It too far down the road from me is where the movie “the legend of boggie Creek” was shot. True story about The town Of Fouke (pronounced fow-k) and a monster that lives in the swamps along the state line thereSome say it’s a Sasquatch type creature, some say it’s a skunk-ape, I don’t know what it is, but it terrified me as a child, and that town in the early 70’s.

if you haven’t seen it, it’s not bad for a 1970’s docu-horror shot in south arkansas on a $12.63 budget.
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Kentucky point
                  Kentucky point commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh I watch those kinds of films ($12.63 budget) and they're so horrible they're good!

• LithicLady
                  LithicLady commented
                  Editing a comment
                  one of my best friends was the baby in that movie....his dad was close friends of Charles B. Pierce, who made the movie.

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LithicLady, that is a really cool connection!

I tried to come up with a few and it’s just most of my life lol

Comment

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  😮. 😂😂😂
              Working...
              X