14 th hobby Re-visited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 th hobby Re-visited

Back in the 80s I forged knives as a part time hobby for about 8 yrs. A couple years my son became interested in forging after watching Forged in Fire so We went to the storage locker and I gave him all he needed. Forge, anvil 150 lb, all the hammers and etc. Taught him what I knew about the hobby. He is pretty good. I was bored couple weeks ago so went over and decided to make a knife for myself. It is a Keris made from a 49 chevy leaf spring.
    Best part was working together with him like we haven't don for awhile. He made a Bowie, not finished yet while I was making mine. The Keris is a cool looking dagger from Java and general area.

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail knife 4.bmp Views:	11 Size:	23.8 KB ID:	506739 Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail knife 4.bmp
Views:	103
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	506747 ​​​​​​​
    Attached Files
    Last edited by oldrocks2; 11-16-2020, 07:13 PM.
    SE IA

Sweet blade! Now for the handle... What are your plans?
    South Carolina

Comment

• oldrocks2
      oldrocks2 commented
      Editing a comment
      The handle is done, it's Leopard wood and babinga. Would have to take a close up to see the great grain.

• Narrow Way Knapper
      Narrow Way Knapper commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, very professional looking.

Thats' nice well done.
    Wyoming

Comment

I see your cats not impressed...What a neat hobby, and a great looking knife..now for the test...Will it cut cleanly through the sofa,?..Let me know how that turns out....I love that show
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• oldrocks2
        oldrocks2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes it would do the job, wood and all. Razor sharp and hardened to maintain edge without chipping as some do on the show. Done right it's a 3 step procedure. Harden, draw back and temper.

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool hobby, thanks for sharing.

Nice blade thanks for sharing
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That's really cool OR...how u gonna attach the handle?...quite skilled....are u a tradesman ?
        SW Connecticut

Comment

• oldrocks2
          oldrocks2 commented
          Editing a comment
          The handle is attached by installing 2 1/4 in pins 1/4 in long in the tang then drilling the 2 scales for the pins to locate in. Then gluing the scales together and clamping. Quite solid. Not a tradesman just a hobby years back. Passed on to son.
          Last edited by oldrocks2; 11-16-2020, 09:10 PM.

I love knife making. That’s a hard one to make, and even harder to make look good. Nice job!
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• oldrocks2
          oldrocks2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. Having not made one for years I just had to pick a Keris. But I like that style.
      Working...
      X