Utah Monolith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah Monolith

Strange. Especially since whoever erected it probably had no idea if it would ever even be seen, I would imagine. Off the wall....

The Utah Department of Public Safety helicopter was assisting Utah Division of Wildlife Resource officers counting bighorn sheep when the crew spotted something mysterious from above. 

Click image for larger version

Name:	2B16B7BC-5E02-4E4B-A66B-49AC6EDD3E88.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	508711

Rhode Island

Got to be investigated Doc. #1 Geiger counter ....
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

So I have to wonder if that is where the movie was shot.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Way cool who ever did it!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
          So I have to wonder if that is where the movie was shot.
          I don’t think it matches the background in the movie scenes that featured the monolith. And the movie monolith was wider. But maybe it was shot in the general area. It’s possible, maybe likely, that a helicopter would have been the only way to deliver it. Well, somebody had money and the ambition to spend that money.

Rhode Island

Comment

Wonder how long it’s been there and if done by an artist, wonder how they expected it to be discovered?
            Child of the tides

Comment

It's very reflective: Not rusted. So what's the material? I would bet that it is not a monolith: Meaning that it has a shell.
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Interesting! Although they’re not disclosing the exact location, it is already in the public domain. Here it is on Google Earth (takes a while to load) and Google Maps respectively:

https://earth.google.com/web/@38.343...d,35y,0h,0t,0r

https://www.google.com/maps/place/38...4d-109.6661111

It has apparently been there since sometime after August 2015. Some folks are remarking on the resemblance to works by the minimalist artist John McCracken, but he’s not known for placing works in such remote locations and in any case he died in 2011. This is one of his:

Name:	McCracken.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	508973

Others are speculating that it may be by the Los Angeles based artist Petecia Le Fawnhawk, who is very much known for minimalist sculptures in remote desert areas. Here’s some stuff from her website and her Instagram account and she has produced some monolith. Note that the sculpture I have arrowed is not the monolith in Utah… I just included it as an indication of the kinds of places her work has been positioned.

Name:	LeFawnhawk1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	508974 Click image for larger version

Name:	LeFawnhawk2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	508975 Click image for larger version

Name:	LeFawnhawk3.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	508976 Click image for larger version

Name:	LeFawnhawk4.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	508977
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
                X