Lost Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Buck

I'm shot out. Not doing much on here. The Neighbor Shot one the biggest Buck any of us has ever seen Him and I spent 18 hours tracking it. Kicked the buck out again about 2:00 today. He's only going on 3 legs and is slow. Lost his trail again. I'm tired and sore. Going out after it again tomorrow. Found an End scraper while trailing. kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Don't give up! Last year a buddy of mine tracked one for ten miles across two counties and found him. Never give up!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Well we don't intend to. He is still alive, so if we can find him in the next 48 hours the meat will be just fine. Ask the great Spirit to aid us tomorrow!

Comment

If you’d of had your nose in the wind instead of tracking points, he woulda probably been in the freezer, Lol, Good story.
        Floridaboy.

Comment

Keep us posted, and post pics if possible.!!
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Hi All. Thank you for your concern. To let you know I did not shoot this deer, My neighbor did. Three days trying to find him. I thought today I would find him, but I couldn't. Teamed up with neighbor, still no luck. I am like you I don't want any animal to suffer. I will continue to pursue this buck. I am very tired but won't give up. It's not my shot, but sticking to it.Kim

Comment

White-tailed deer are pretty resilient. My old neighbor shot a White-tail and discovered a modern broadhead completely encased in a scar tissue like substance inside the animal. The deer was completely healthy.
              South Carolina

Comment

Oh man.....
                Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Spooked up 15 doe today. None were limping. Still on the hunt. Could have shot a nice one, but have to find the wounded one first. Kim

Comment

• Jethro355
                    Jethro355 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good luck, Kim. Here’s hoping the Great Spirit helps you find it.👍

Don’t laugh but the guys have given me the honorable name tracker .
                  Two lost bucks this year I tracked . I like that you can tell he is on 3 legs .. As everyone says keep going the blood trail is probably done but you may find bits of hair brushing off .
                  I watched a buck run miles with a bad broken leg .
                  One technique I have used is the slight lean in the tracks left or right in the ground .
                  Blood stained hair sticks to the brush .
                  I just mark the trail and look at it . If you hunt the area you know their trails .
                  Buddie shot a buck and nicked him . Took us 1 hour to find the meat and hair 1 in long to tell the tail he was on the move and not dead .

Keep is posted Kim you will will find him .
                  wait 18 hours that’s dedication .
                  Might want to call in a tracker dog if the guy really wants him .

Comment

Originally posted by Tam View Post
                    Don’t laugh but the guys have given me the honorable name tracker .
                    Two lost bucks this year I tracked . I like that you can tell he is on 3 legs .. As everyone says keep going the blood trail is probably done but you may find bits of hair brushing off .
                    I watched a buck run miles with a bad broken leg .
                    One technique I have used is the slight lean in the tracks left or right in the ground .
                    Blood stained hair sticks to the brush .
                    I just mark the trail and look at it . If you hunt the area you know their trails .
                    Buddie shot a buck and nicked him . Took us 1 hour to find the meat and hair 1 in long to tell the tail he was on the move and not dead .

Keep is posted Kim you will will find him .
                    wait 18 hours that’s dedication .
                    Might want to call in a tracker dog if the guy really wants him .
                    Thank you for the advice Tam. No more blood to trail. No hair. I personally think he is healing up. He's with about 15 deer now. Chased them up yesterday. Could have had shot one myself but decided not to. I'm giving him a day or two rest. He is on private, no hunt land. I have complete permission to continue to pursue him. If I see him again and he's doing okay, I'm going to let him alone to heal. Thanks Tracker! Kim

Comment

Well that’s a heck of a story . Kim I agree if that Buck makes it he deserves to live .
                      That one that got nicked showed up on camera 3 days later . They have a rough go out there sometimes .
                      My friend has a Mom moose on camera in Idaho with chunks out of her side protecting her yearling I would imagine . Big cats up there .
                      I bet you have so many stories .

Comment

Your very kind Tam, I mean Tracker. And yes I do have many great stories. My son says I should right a book. He's right I should. Your friend. Kim
                        Last edited by Mattern; 12-03-2020, 08:23 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Originally posted by Narrow Way Knapper View Post
                          White-tailed deer are pretty resilient. My old neighbor shot a White-tail and discovered a modern broadhead completely encased in a scar tissue like substance inside the animal. The deer was completely healthy.
                          I found a broken broad head too in a deer I shot I was having a hard time splitting his brisket until I realized what it was . It was encased in tissue. I shot an axis deer I shot two years before that had lived and found lots of tiny lead fragments all thought the neck meat. Note to self I’ll never try and shoot a huge axis with a .17 hmr again. I did kill one a couple weeks prior to that but took three shots in the head to kill it. With a .17 . About your buck your 👀 for . Get you a dog that can trail or that like to run deer and carry a shotgun in case you jump him. Wounded animals don’t like to go uphill but tend to stay in lower areas especially gut shot ones. This is not always the case but an observation. Good luck

Comment

• Jethro355
                            Jethro355 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes, and a gut shot one will almost always seek water.👍

Thanks Sarg.

Comment

Working...
                          X