Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random thoughts while walking the fields...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random thoughts while walking the fields...

While I was hunting today there was some old broken dishware (of the antique American kind) mixed up with everything, obnoxiously white triangular pieces of dishware that who even knows how somebody 100 years ago lost their supper plate in a field but I think I found the whole plate and cussed them with every piece. Kept thinking they were nice white arrowheads from a ways off.

Anyways it got me thinking that in a thousand years or three thousand years or whatever, whether it's future people or aliens or who knows maybe evolved raccoons, somebody will probably be looking in that same field for arrowheads and they'll see those pieces of dinner plate and maybe that rusty iron half a mule trailer shoe and be excited for all of it because by that time it'll all be ancient and it's all mixed up together in that field. The same way we're excited for a 4000 year old point the same as a 6000 year point and maybe you find them both 10 ft away from each other and are probably too excited to even think about how crazy it is that two objects made by two people living thousands of years apart should be sitting 10 ft from each other, and both those 15 ft away from a piece of 1800s dishware.

And from this future person's perspective we'll probably be in the books as just another group of humans who lived here after pushing out the people who were already living here, who pushed out the group before them and before them and so on. Just like we don't really appreciate (well I don't, yall probably do) that people were living where we're hunting and maybe they left or maybe someone drove them out or even killed them all but we still kinda see them as monolithic in a way, and they'd have probably thought they were so different to the group who was there before them and just like we think we're so different to Indians, but if you go far enough into the future everyone in the past pretty much just becomes "the ancient inhabitants" no matter how it is we see it now or this or that group of Indians saw it then.

Anyways I'm thinking I should start listening to music or something while I'm walking the fields so my own brain doesn't drive me crazy. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    Attached Files
    Central Iowa now, used to be in SC.

Yes itโ€™s amazing what you come up with when the wind and animals are your background and your finding different time periods I think we who hunt have active and questioning minds
    NWOhio

Comment

I have random songs in my head while out in the fields, yesterday I couldn't get Don Henley's Boys of Summer out of my head for nothing; I tried thinking about Duran Duran, Iron Maiden and The Beatles but Don Henley won.
      ๐Ÿœ ๐ŸŽค SW Georgia

Comment

Nice assortment of finds always nice when you find artifacts all way up to present.
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Good post ...Iโ€™m thinkin I have one foot in the past and one in the future, Lol.( I recon itโ€™s called limbo or sumthin like that ) anyway itโ€™s a great place to be, Lol.
          Floridaboy.

Comment

I used to just pick up two rocks and bang them together. I called it the arrowhead song. It made arrowheads want to jump right into my pocket.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              You didnโ€™t hum the Quartz Song ?
              Last edited by Cecilia; 03-14-2021, 07:59 PM.

• Hal Gorges
              Hal Gorges commented
              Editing a comment
              Thatโ€™s a good one.

Regarding what is left behind in our era, or a hundred years ago, or 200 hundred, or 300, and somewhat etc., is we have a written history. Future archaeologists/scholars will have written records from our own times. Indeed prehistory and history are separated by the existence of writing denoting the โ€œdawn of historyโ€ so to speak.. All surface finds are out of context, one of the facts that often makes typology a bit more difficult, what with overlap between and among styles, resharpening, etc., itโ€™s always better to find things in a datable context. But, even when we do, we cannot refer to written histories from the Paleo Era, etc. Once writing developed, what we could know about the past increases many fold. So, modern Chinaware may turn up in my field, as out of context as the 5000 year old quartz point I find mere feet away, but I can learn a great deal more about that Chinaware simply because it is historical, not prehistoric. Future archaeologists/surface hunters/collectors will have the advantage of written history to understand historical artifacts.
            Last edited by CMD; 03-14-2021, 10:59 AM.
            Rhode Island

Comment

Good post. My brain goes off on tangents a lot also when hunting. An example of opinions changing over time...in the 1990s Fender Strat guitars made in the 1960s became very collectable because they were old and thought to have way better sound/construction than the ones built in the 1970s and 80s. Now in 2021, people are paying big money for those "no good" 1970s guitars. They are now old and vintage.
              Central Ohio

Comment

• Cecilia
                Cecilia commented
                Editing a comment
                You funny!

For me, it's the same as metal detecting. In one day, I found a colonial era button, a Civil War Confederate Staff Officers button, and a button off of wrangler jeans all in one place where a house once stood. Three kinds of buttons, from three different centuries, all in one yard.

I never listen to anything before I go out hunting, but usually I end up at the mercy of whatever song remnants my wandering brain picks up as I'm walking. Either way, I probably won't find much, so what does it matter, lol!
              "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Coy, you may have what neuroscientists call โ€œChristmas Tree Brainโ€. Itโ€™s an EEG pattern shows up relatively small % population whose brains perform transcontexual thinking. Generally, those brains blink in unsynchronized, multi-colored, very rapid display that includes areas typically not responsive to particular stimulus.

Are you both charming and annoying?โ€ฆlol And, yeah, pretty much labeled. ADHD...
                Last edited by Cecilia; 03-14-2021, 08:13 PM.
                Digging in GA, โ€˜bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Coy
                  Coy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How interesting, I never heard of that. I'm diagnosed ADHD so I think that's a big part of it. I don't know how charming I am but I can be plenty annoying ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Mattern
                  Mattern commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Say What?

I always find old pieces of pottery , plates left around early 1900 homesteads and just leave them .
                someday yes the evolved raccoons will be digging through our landfills for treasures considered antiques .
                Let your mind wonder itโ€™s your self therapy . Letโ€™s it all out .

nice finds

Comment

• Kentucky point
                  Kentucky point commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You leave them ????????

I still have a small collection of colonial / Civil War era sherds from a house site in Virginia! Yes, I even keep broken glass. I'll be sued one day for it. :/

Hope future hunters stay out of the radioactive areas.
                SE IA

Comment

I no the feeling..looking at feilds or ridges tryin think what it'd been like or why chosen spots random,symbolic scenery or just survival ...I can find one culture and go to another spot 100yrds away totally different...I think alot how I can run a river 20 miles to a spot and think if these old ppl ever run into each other what I'd be like..I mean only seeing your group and bam these dudes show up on top the mountain or sneakin the bottom chaos or welcoming..either way I get ya..

Comment

This is very interesting. I'm glad I found this post. I never thought about what I think while hunting. I do thank the Natives for their gifts for me and always leave them some tobacco. I do talk with God when I hunt. Kim
                    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

I spend some hunts talking with God. Some hunts arguing with my wife who isnt there. Some hunts contemplating life in general. And some hunts I'm just blank. Funny yall mention the songs in your head. It varies. But I usually have one while I'm hunting. I mentioned it to my Dad, one time. He looked at me funny. He said he had never heard songs in his head. Had no idea what I was talking about. The mind is a fascinating thing.

Good topic. Thanks...
                      Western Kentucky

Comment

Working...
                      X