King Tut Colorized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Tut Colorized

Discovered in 1922, his more than 3,000 year old tomb and it's possessions have been given a new look.

“It was sometime before one could see, the hot air escaping caused the candle to flicker, but as soon as one's eyes became accustomed to the glimmer of light the interior of the chamber gradually loomed before one, with its strange and wonderful medley of extraordinary and beautiful objects heaped upon one another”

https://mymodernmet.com/king-tuts-to...TAhJ9UslIs9abq kd4ewBklrUDzDgPZU3A

Tutankhamun

Last edited by Olden; 04-05-2021, 08:42 AM.
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Great photos, Don. Thanks for the link.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Egyptian history has always fascinated me. Thanks for posting!
      South Carolina

Comment

It feels like I could reach out and touch some of the objects. very interesting.
        South Carolina

Comment

Those are amazing pictures, I hadn't see the colorized version.

Two things have always impressed me about King Tuts tomb.

First, King Tut wasn't really even a major pharaoh and his tomb was probably only average in wealth. Some of the longer reigning Pharaohs during periods of prosperity had decades to plan their burials and commission art works. Can you imagine what their tombs would have looked like or contained? I read once that until the California, Alaskan, Canadian gold rushes and later ones in South Africa and Australia, if you had gold jewelry there was a likelihood that at least some fraction of the gold was once originally part of some Egyptian treasure. (That had been melted, made in to coins, melted, used, reused, etc. etc. etc.)

Second, much of the tomb looks like a storage locker or moving van that movers packed high & tight. Stuff is stacked, packed in boxes, covered with blankets, leaning against the wall, etc. I would have imagined that it was all laid out or organized around his mummy, but much of it was packed in side storage rooms.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

His tomb is packed up tight!

"We look at Tut’s tomb and the gold treasures it contained with astonishment. But in Antiquity Egypt’s gold was already legendary. Few people ever got to see royal tomb’s contents with their own eyes, but looking at the size of the pyramids, one could only imagine fantastic riches. The wealth accumulated inside the temples was also out of sight but people got a glimpse when the gods’ statue was carried on a gilded ship during great festivals.

To express how disappointed he was at not having received the solid gold statues he expected, a foreign King reminded Pharaoh that in Egypt “gold is as plentiful as dirt”

The untold story of Tutankhamun’s treasure and the events leading to Howard Carter's discovery of Tut's tomb and mummy.

from Google:
            The only reason Tutankhamun's tomb remained relatively intact (it was actually broken into twice in antiquity and robbed) was that it was accidentally buried by the ancient workers who built the tomb of Ramesses VI (1145-1137 BCE) nearby.

Tutankhamun's death mask is constructed of two sheets of gold that were hammered together and weigh 22.5 pounds - I wonder why it wasn't taken?

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Thanks for the link, awsome
              SE IA

Comment

Working...
              X