Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomclark
    commented on 's reply
    Paul I've had a few instances of people thinking I'd salted their finds.... I had a friend digging next to me get up and walk away to relieve himself. I hear him holler and he comes back with a killer small red Newnan that appeared in the sand as he whizzed on a gopher tortoise burrow spoil pile. Funnier thing is that he thought we had planted it for him to find..... Wha!?!?? yeah like we buried a killer point under tortoise spoil hoping the he would pee on that exact spot LOLOL. Another time I took my non-artifacting cousin to a walking site and he picked up an outrageously super shell plummet just about in front of me. He swore and swore that I'd put it on the beach for him to find and was such a jerk about it that I kept the plummet hahahaha!

• SurfaceHunter
    replied
    One time I was walking a field that had gotten rain the night before. Along the creek is a bunch of old oak trees 100s of years old by the size of them. I had just walked down to look at the creek level which was high and turned around to walk the field instead. I got about a 100 feet away from the tree line and heard a cracking noise. Turned around just in time to see the big oak tree I was just under 15 minutes ago snap in half. Mother Nature did it but just one story many more to come

Leave a comment:

• Mattern
    commented on 's reply
    Not at all Tom. That's what this thread is for.

• tomf
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe the Shaman expects payment for his services.

• tomf
    replied
    Not exactly sure if this is appropriate for this thread.
    I don't have any anecdotes of my own to share, but came across this paper at the Society for California Archeology.
    The grand old men of California archeology, mostly graduates of Sacramento Junior College, meet to reminisce, discuss their careers and the state of the field. It's 1973, so things have changed a lot since then but many issues still remain.
    It's a long read, a little repetitive, even dull for those not interested in California, but there's some good stuff in it too. Speakers include Bennyhoff, Fenaga and Frederickson.

Kim, if this stretches beyond your intentions for this thread, I apologize. Perhaps a mod would move it to reading section.

Occasional-Paper-Number-4-Roundtable-Discussion.pdf

Leave a comment:

• antmike915
    commented on 's reply
    Same here (injuries, strange characters, accidents and weird things in general).

• SurfaceHunter
    replied
    Well it didn’t work I got the skunk today

Leave a comment:

• Mattern
    commented on 's reply
    That's a good story Paul it made my day, it was the first time I laughed today! Thanks

• SurfaceHunter
    replied
    Hey Paul maybe you can think SurfaceHunter and a perfect fluted Cumberland tonight before you go to sleep for me? I’d like to find one

Leave a comment:

• Mattern
    commented on 's reply
    Now that's exactly the stuff I'm talking about. Where else could you share that story? As Paul said this forum wouldn't take anything away from the serious Posts.

• pkfrey
    replied
    I drove by this field at a bridge maybe a dozen times a week. Every time I would look at the long, flat field with a slight rise in it. I could envision and feel the arrowheads in the field, right next to the Conestoga Creek. One day it got the best of me, and I stopped at the outside fruit stand operated by the Amish family who owned the field. They graciously gave me permission, and they had a box of artifacts they found in the field. I planned to hunt it with Dan, a good friend of mine, on Saturday. Friday night I went to bed and had a dream about this field. I dreamt at the top of the rise, there was something dark and large, right next to this thing was a beautiful perfect white quartz triangle point! Stay with me, so far this is only a dream!
    Saturday morning came, Dan picked me up, and we went to the field. Half way along the flat next to the creek, I looked up and saw something dark on the rise. I told Dan to walk up and see what it is. And while he is checking the thing out, I told him to look close for an arrowhead. I watched him bend over, and pick something up. He hollered for me to come see. He just found a perfect white quartz triangle point, next to the dark thing that was a partial root system of a tree washed in by flood waters, With gnarly black roots from the waters muck. I told Dan about my dream, He accused me of going to the field in the middle of the night and planting the arrowhead. Yeah right! I got up at 2 AM, drug a 300 pound root system in the field, and laid an arrowhead next to it! Don't think so!
    I had chills and goosebumps! I dreamt this would happen, it did. Most dreams are forgotten the next morning. I'll never forget this one, it was two years ago! My brain saw into the future, One day anyway. I saw what would happen, My dream actually came true!! Why do things like this happen? The scenario was exactly the way I dreamt it, !! This has happened several times in my lifetime. Why can't I win the lottery, in my dreams!! A very very true dream and story!

Leave a comment:

• pkfrey
    commented on 's reply
    I think it's a great idea! A separate thread where we won't be imposing on those who want things identified. I can't wait, One of my stories is below. And it's the absolute truth!!

• outlaws15
    commented on 's reply
    Ouch

• tomclark
    replied
    I was walking to a site with friend Nic and we had to cross a shallow slough when almost there. VERY excited to return to the coral point laden area.. I spent extra time and care to make sure I had my standard equipment for digging and sharpened my Pony shovel to a razor bevel the night before. It was 45 degrees and I took off my pants, shoes, socks and crossed over about 100 feet, knee deep at one point. Not wanting to put my stuff on wet I kept going carrying my Pony in one hand and stuff in the other. The way I was carrying the shovel and the action of my foot made the shovel bite into my ankle so bad it was just about hanging off, just below and into the insertion of the achilles tendon... Nic went into Medic Mode wrapping it up with strips of towel and for a short distance I tried/wanted to get there...maybe I'd be able to dig..... NOPE. Hobbling back hanging on Nic to the truck took a LOOOONG time. On the way home we stopped at a paleo walking site and again I thought maybe I'd hobble being so defeated LOL NOPE! Caveman took over a month to heal over didn't get stitches like a fool... Same foot, same Nic we were digging in sand and I was barefoot...ya I know.... well the site was loaded with chips and when I went to get up from the hole I put all my weight on one leg/foot and a big chip sliced deep across my instep...... we were only a few yards from the cars/road and I left a trail on the sand getting there woi.

Leave a comment:

• kayakaddict
    replied
    It's a good idea Ramblings, stories, etc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X