Relic Collecting Ramblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relic Collecting Ramblings

I would like to start a new forum / topic, I would call “Relic Collector Ramblings” A forum where we all could share stories about collecting or, visiting a museum or fellow collector. Stories about ourselves, or our family and collections. A place where we could share personal tidbits about ourselves, or our friend collectors. A place where we could learn more about each other, or put in some personal things pertaining to ourselves and collecting. I know about “Thoughts and Prayers” but this would be different. I get to know little tidbits about all my friends here by reading your posts. But I for one would like to know more about you. I’m not talking about sharing intimate things that’s for PM messages. So I throw this out there to see if anyone else is interested. Thanks for any comments. Kim Mattern
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

An Example. I ran into this guy while hunting. He was quite a character. He told many unbelievable stories. Like he once found a pottery vessel in Lancaster Co that had two large points imbedded in the opposite sides for handles. One side the spear point was Incan. On the other side it was Mayan. I asked if I could see this amazing find. He said that he sent it to the Smithsonian for examination and he would let me know when he got it back! He talked for some time about other amazing finds none of which I believed. But I sure enjoyed his ramblings. Kim

Comment

Oh I have so many things to share. I have this recurring dream where I come to a spot where there are many huge artifacts just laying all over. You too?

Comment

• SDhunter
        SDhunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I have had similar dreams like that in the past. Lol

• Mailman
        Mailman commented
        Editing a comment
        I have similar dreams.

One night, my Mom walked up as I was filling my pockets with G10s. She says, "You know you're dreaming, right?" Annnnnd, I woke up. COME ON, MOM!! LOL

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll have the same dream Kim. Also dream about gold and silver coins just laying about for me to pick up. An endless supply. Always so disappointed when I wake up.

Well Kim, if ya got a bottle of Crown Royal, I’d tell ya some Whoppers !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry JJ I don't drink, but I would enjoy seeing you get Sh**t faced and telling stories!

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Lmao

Nice thought Kim, In the stories I share I reveal things about myself..For example, The calendar girls are about Miss June and I, about our life really..I kinda feel comfortable doing it thataway...Of course if you’re idea takes off i will contribute ...Funny stories, I don’t think I could top the pot one,Lol.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it would be a nice place we could blow off some steam, make jokes and tell wild stories. I hope the Moderators consider this. and make it happen.

Wow I could tell some stories of injuries/accidents that occurred while collecting LOLOL and have the scars to prove it.
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Tom you can help make this happen. There are a thousand stories surrounding our collecting that we really don't have a proper forum to tell them. Not only is this a fun idea, it would work well. Hope I have your support.

• antmike915
        antmike915 commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here (injuries, strange characters, accidents and weird things in general).

Great idea for a thread!

I have alot of ramblings/stories that come from my uncle every time I talk to him about collecting!

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        This would the place to tell them AJ. thanks for your support.

• pkfrey
        pkfrey commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it's a great idea! A separate thread where we won't be imposing on those who want things identified. I can't wait, One of my stories is below. And it's the absolute truth!!

I’m sure anyone who goes to out of the way places will have many stories to tell me included
      NW Georgia,

Comment

It would make for an interesting thread. The memories, escapades and ramblings of fellow artifact collectors? How could that not be fun and of interest?
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

It's a good idea Ramblings, stories, etc.
          New Jersey

Comment

I was walking to a site with friend Nic and we had to cross a shallow slough when almost there. VERY excited to return to the coral point laden area.. I spent extra time and care to make sure I had my standard equipment for digging and sharpened my Pony shovel to a razor bevel the night before. It was 45 degrees and I took off my pants, shoes, socks and crossed over about 100 feet, knee deep at one point. Not wanting to put my stuff on wet I kept going carrying my Pony in one hand and stuff in the other. The way I was carrying the shovel and the action of my foot made the shovel bite into my ankle so bad it was just about hanging off, just below and into the insertion of the achilles tendon... Nic went into Medic Mode wrapping it up with strips of towel and for a short distance I tried/wanted to get there...maybe I'd be able to dig..... NOPE. Hobbling back hanging on Nic to the truck took a LOOOONG time. On the way home we stopped at a paleo walking site and again I thought maybe I'd hobble being so defeated LOL NOPE! Caveman took over a month to heal over didn't get stitches like a fool... Same foot, same Nic we were digging in sand and I was barefoot...ya I know.... well the site was loaded with chips and when I went to get up from the hole I put all my weight on one leg/foot and a big chip sliced deep across my instep...... we were only a few yards from the cars/road and I left a trail on the sand getting there woi.
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

• Mattern
              Mattern commented
              Editing a comment
              Now that's exactly the stuff I'm talking about. Where else could you share that story? As Paul said this forum wouldn't take anything away from the serious Posts.

• Tam
              Tam commented
              Editing a comment
              Good story

• Hal Gorges
              Hal Gorges commented
              Editing a comment
              That gives me shivers and goosebumps,Lol.good one Tom.

I drove by this field at a bridge maybe a dozen times a week. Every time I would look at the long, flat field with a slight rise in it. I could envision and feel the arrowheads in the field, right next to the Conestoga Creek. One day it got the best of me, and I stopped at the outside fruit stand operated by the Amish family who owned the field. They graciously gave me permission, and they had a box of artifacts they found in the field. I planned to hunt it with Dan, a good friend of mine, on Saturday. Friday night I went to bed and had a dream about this field. I dreamt at the top of the rise, there was something dark and large, right next to this thing was a beautiful perfect white quartz triangle point! Stay with me, so far this is only a dream!
            Saturday morning came, Dan picked me up, and we went to the field. Half way along the flat next to the creek, I looked up and saw something dark on the rise. I told Dan to walk up and see what it is. And while he is checking the thing out, I told him to look close for an arrowhead. I watched him bend over, and pick something up. He hollered for me to come see. He just found a perfect white quartz triangle point, next to the dark thing that was a partial root system of a tree washed in by flood waters, With gnarly black roots from the waters muck. I told Dan about my dream, He accused me of going to the field in the middle of the night and planting the arrowhead. Yeah right! I got up at 2 AM, drug a 300 pound root system in the field, and laid an arrowhead next to it! Don't think so!
            I had chills and goosebumps! I dreamt this would happen, it did. Most dreams are forgotten the next morning. I'll never forget this one, it was two years ago! My brain saw into the future, One day anyway. I saw what would happen, My dream actually came true!! Why do things like this happen? The scenario was exactly the way I dreamt it, !! This has happened several times in my lifetime. Why can't I win the lottery, in my dreams!! A very very true dream and story!
            http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Mattern
              Mattern commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a good story Paul it made my day, it was the first time I laughed today! Thanks

• tomclark
              tomclark commented
              Editing a comment
              Paul I've had a few instances of people thinking I'd salted their finds.... I had a friend digging next to me get up and walk away to relieve himself. I hear him holler and he comes back with a killer small red Newnan that appeared in the sand as he whizzed on a gopher tortoise burrow spoil pile. Funnier thing is that he thought we had planted it for him to find..... Wha!?!?? yeah like we buried a killer point under tortoise spoil hoping the he would pee on that exact spot LOLOL. Another time I took my non-artifacting cousin to a walking site and he picked up an outrageously super shell plummet just about in front of me. He swore and swore that I'd put it on the beach for him to find and was such a jerk about it that I kept the plummet hahahaha!

Hey Paul maybe you can think SurfaceHunter and a perfect fluted Cumberland tonight before you go to sleep for me? I’d like to find one
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Well it didn’t work I got the skunk today
              NW Georgia,

Comment

• tomf
                tomf commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe the Shaman expects payment for his services.

Not exactly sure if this is appropriate for this thread.
              I don't have any anecdotes of my own to share, but came across this paper at the Society for California Archeology.
              The grand old men of California archeology, mostly graduates of Sacramento Junior College, meet to reminisce, discuss their careers and the state of the field. It's 1973, so things have changed a lot since then but many issues still remain.
              It's a long read, a little repetitive, even dull for those not interested in California, but there's some good stuff in it too. Speakers include Bennyhoff, Fenaga and Frederickson.

Kim, if this stretches beyond your intentions for this thread, I apologize. Perhaps a mod would move it to reading section.

Occasional-Paper-Number-4-Roundtable-Discussion.pdf
              California

Comment

• Mattern
                Mattern commented
                Editing a comment
                Not at all Tom. That's what this thread is for.
            Working...
            X