Hole in Mars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole in Mars

Wish I could go down there and look around!
    A different astronomy and space science related image is featured each day, along with a brief explanation.

Can you imagine?
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Weird, in a cool kinda way!
      Southern Connecticut

Comment

Hey Sandy!  We had the opportunity to check out the skies with a 16" telescope while in NM.  My sister's friend is an astronomer.  He purchased the scope for $5,000.00 from a gentleman and intends to build his own planetarium.  He repaired the piece for $72.00 and he an my son lifted it onto it's extremely large stand, plugged in coordinates, and off it went to locate M54's, "whatever that is", and all of these other numbers that mean something to those who know what they are.  Not me!  What a treat!  You'da been thrilled!  I know I was.  Saw Saturn in all it's glory!  Didn't know it was possible!  Sent chills throughout my person!  My sister is a member of a group of star-watchers.  More in depth than that...she is fairly knowledgeable.  You two would get along extremely well!  Interesting info.
        Ruthie

Comment

I'm using binoculars....lol the decent scope I had was broken...on accident by my kids when they were younger...and just last week my husband broke my binoculars! Now I'm just using my imagination! Glad you got a closer look! And I get along with anyone who looks above and below..lol Sandy

Comment

A little Mars action. Is it a coincidence the remake of Total Recall is now coming out?

Comment

Dandielyonwine wrote:

I'm using binoculars....lol the decent scope I had was broken...on accident by my kids when they were younger...and just last week my husband broke my binoculars! Now I'm just using my imagination! Glad you got a closer look! And I get along with anyone who looks above and below..lol Sandy
                Yep!  With ya on that one.  Purchased a pretty nice scope 2 years ago...can't even figure out how to use it!  Sad...isn't it?  lol  My son is going to take it to his house to figure it out.  Sure wish I could explain to you what I saw.  Beyond words!  As you said...Above, below, and imagination!  Pretty good trio you came up with there...I'd say!   This world is filled with all three.

Comment

I love all this stuff too. As well as living on top of a hill, well above the street-light pollution, I have a pyramid-shaped glass lantern about 6 feet square that projects out of the top of my roof... and a plan to put a motorised telescope in it, wirelessly linked to my computer. Second hand gear of this type is not nearly as expensive as you might think.
                As for that there hole... it's surely where this guy (or girl) lives:

[Undated pictures from NASA's Mars Spirit Rover]
                ... unless that's just a [strike]geofact[/strike] astrofact.
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I think your on to something Roger,  Why is he hairy though? I thought mars was older than earth? Different building blocks I suppose  sify speculating of course! Thanks for adding to my post, can you take pictures with the scope your putting together ? S

Comment

I saw some guys using spotting scopes and small pocket sized digital cameras shoot pictures of birds one time. They call this Digiscope shooting I believe. It is an in expensive way to get great photos using a spotting scope or a telescope. You set your camera on macro and shoot the tiny image in the eyepiece. I have seen some very good photos taken in this way.
                    Here is a link for digiscope  http://www.optics4birding.com/digiscoping.aspx

Hoss
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks! I'll check it out. Probably have to save up for one Sandy

Comment

Oh, And that fella on mars is probably just an astrofact! Lol nice one Roger

Comment

Dandielyonwine wrote:

I think your on to something Roger,  Why is he hairy though? I thought mars was older than earth? Different building blocks I suppose  sify speculating of course! Thanks for adding to my post, can you take pictures with the scope your putting together ? S
                            I guess it's cold inside that there hole. That's a genuine pic by the way which NASA have dismissed as some kind of odd rock formation.
                          Yeah, the 'scope I have my eye on transmits pics and video wirelessly to PC and you can save the files. It also has software that allows you to choose a target and the motor then tracks the 'scope to what you want to see; or you can pan it to an object and ask the software what you're looking at. All from the comfort of an armchair!
                          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

painshill wrote:

I love all this stuff too. As well as living on top of a hill, well above the street-light pollution, I have a pyramid-shaped glass lantern about 6 feet square that projects out of the top of my roof... and a plan to put a motorised telescope in it, wirelessly linked to my computer. Second hand gear of this type is not nearly as expensive as you might think.
                            As for that there hole... it's surely where this guy (or girl) lives:

[Undated pictures from NASA's Mars Spirit Rover]
                            ... unless that's just a [strike]geofact[/strike] astrofact.
                              It looks to me to be a depression in the planet, and shadows, as is what looks to be a snake or whatever in the foreground.  JMO  Those impressions are visible throughout the entire photo.

Comment

Working...
                            X