Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artifact Ramblings

I thought of this on last night.
    So some of you have heard of the Shanks Ferry Native pottery. I had found the site and visited it many times. The site is wooded so it’s hard to find anything there. There is a big power line the runs across the site. There is also a rail road track on the top of the hill. So one time I took a friend there, and as we climbed the hill on the power line to the site, I was in the lead. I stomped on a pile of brush and stepped forward thinking nothing of it. My friend Kevin followed me and as he crossed the brush pile he was swarmed by Yellow Jackets that were nested in the pile I just stomped on. Kevin screamed and yelled in agony and passed me in a split second and up the hill he went. He left me in the dust the, dust of swarming Yellow Jackets. At the top of the hill we stopped on the rail road tracks to catch our breath. In a second the bees were all over us and stinging again. So we ran out the tracks another 100 yards to escape. No luck. Those bees followed our fear sent and were on us again in seconds. We ran another 100 yards or so, looking back. “There still coming” Kevin yelled. Still running and as we turned around again there was just one single Yellow Jacket still following us. Running again with stings all over us we stopped. We carefully watched. We had finally out run the swarm. Needless to say that was the end of our hunt. Out of wind and swelling and itching all over, licking our wounds, we made it out another way. I have always been very careful about stumping on brush piles ever since. Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Yellow jackets always seem to put there nests where you would least expect. Yellow jacket larvae is good eating by the way.
    South Carolina

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
      Narrow Way Knapper commented
      Editing a comment
      You can start a smokey fire close to the entrance of their nest, but not close enough to burn it up. After the wasps are gone, you can dig it up. Larvae is best when it's a creamy white color and not when it is almost mature.

• SDhunter
      SDhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      I will pass on that one!

• antmike915
      antmike915 commented
      Editing a comment
      Might be good with some honey mustard.

I know the feeling Kim… those things are relentless and brutal!
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      And they don't give up easily.

Everybody is invited to share their Collecting stories, please. Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Wow. Crazy
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Crazy as a Yellow Jacket!

They seemed pretty persistent. Never knew they would keep after you for that long. I’m sure it would have made a funny video.
      South Dakota

Comment

• Artifascination
        Artifascination commented
        Editing a comment
        Hilarious for the audience but terrible for the ones fleeing and getting popped by them little winged devils!

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny now not so much then.

My buddy and I went 4 wheeling at the sandpit near my house. We pulled up and shut the wheelers off to talk about the ramp that I had made the day before. About that time my buddy jumped off of his wheeler hollering some foul language and took off running. I’m watching him run off and wondering what his issue was when all of a sudden I could hear a buzzing noise. I look over and see a swarm of ground wasp coming from under his 4 wheeler. I jumped off my wheeler and take off running for dear life. He had a head start but it didn’t take me long to pass him once they started lighting me up. We looked like 2 stooges in fast forward running and zig zagging through the sand. My friend falls down about 150 yards from the wheeler and starts grabbing hand fulls of sand and throwing it at his own face in hope they would stop stinging him if he covered himself in dirt. Didn’t work at all actually I believe more caught up with him. I go back to help him up and it was brutal. We both had over 100 stings on our face, arms, and back. I can tell ya the ones on the ears, eyelids, and armpits were the most painful. We make it to the paved road and start walking towards my house when my cousin pulls up and starts laughing at us because we have big red knots all over our heads. He asked what happened to us so we told him how those wasp got us. He drives over to our 4 wheelers and gets on mine and drives it away from the wasp without getting one single sting. Me and my buddy went back home and plotted on how we were going to go back and destroy those evil creatures. Needless to say 10 pounds of tannerite and 5 gallons of gas done the job.
      SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for sharing your story Arti

Seems I have more trouble with honey bees than the yellow jackets. Glad all you guys didn’t have a reaction !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Artifascination
        Artifascination commented
        Editing a comment
        We had plenty of reaction! Luckily it wasn’t allergic!

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Odd that you said that JJ Being an outdoorsman, I have been stung so many times it's ridiculous! It got to the point that I eventually became allergic to all bees. I had to go through venom shots for 4 years. It was like a cup running over. One sting too many and I was hospitalized. From that point on I could have died from one sting. I'm really not allergic any more, but I still have to carry an EpiPen just in case.

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s scary Kim !
    Working...
    X