My First Home-Made Arrowhead Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Home-Made Arrowhead Case

Earlier this year, I got the idea to build a big display case, mainly just for something to do to spend time with my Grandfather, but I thought that I would use it to consolidate my insect collections that I put together when I was a kid. At the time, I hadn't yet started collecting arrowheads, but it was only a few weeks after we built this that I did start collecting arrowheads. I decided that I would use it to display my artifact collection when it gets large enough (might be awhile), rather than using it for my insect collections.
    It is 24"x36" with a glass lid and is made of poplar that I stained. As you can see, I didn't stain the bottom of the inside of the case because that will have foam covering it anyway. What do you guys think? I know it is kind of deep, since it wasn't originally designed for arrowheads, but I think it will work fine. I have small battery powered LED lights that nicely light it from the inside.

Hey Jay, that is pretty cool. Make a base for it and use it for a coffee table.
    Chase
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

That looks really nice Jay. It will make a great display.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Very cool and looks like you have got a lot of help!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Real nice. I'd love to have a coffee table display case.

Comment

Thanks guys. I really like the idea of making it into a coffee table display case; I hadn't thought of that. But instead of making this into a coffee table, I think my next project will be to make a coffee table display case with this in mind from the beginning. I'll use better wood and make it a bit nicer looking.
            Right now, I'm working on building a smaller display case (12"x16"). I think I'm going to make it with rounded edges for the challenge, and because I've never seen one with rounded edges. I'll post photos when I finish.

Comment

Nice frame. I am going to give it a shot myself. I will post pics when I "git er done!"
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

jmack wrote:

I have small battery powered LED lights that nicely light it from the inside. 
                  Very nice case jmack.
                Sometime in the future when you have artifacts in the case I would
                like to see how your led lights light it up on the inside.
                11KBP

Comment

@11KBP: Thanks. I'll be sure to post some photos when I fill the case. Next, I need to find some foam or similar material to cover the bottom.
                  @Hoss: Thanks. I'd like to see yours when you get it finished as well. Any ideas on what you're going to make?

Comment

Working...
                  X