Chigger season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chigger season

I went walking to one of my river walk spots last evening and noticed how tall the grass was. It has been hot and humid for weeks. I haven't had a chigger bite all summer. Well half way down the path I paused and looked at my pants. Hundreds of chiggers. Game over. I went back to the car, put all my clothes in a plastic bag tied tight, put on my spare clothes and drove home bare footed. I was planning on hitting two more spots after that one too. Drove home an hour and showered and put the clothes in the wash. Fingers crossed, It can take two to three days for the bites to show up. Hoping I acted fast enough but if not this weekend is gonna stink!!! Guess I'll hit those spots after a frost.
    New Jersey

Ugghhh, chiggers
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

You should always protect yourself from chiggers and ticks. The places we go are rife with these horrible creatures. I have heard that Chiggers can give you the same red meat allergy that the Lone Star tick can. You want to avoid this AT ALL COSTS. I developed the allergy after only 2 adult lone star bites and my life is forever changed overnight. I can no longer use ANY mammal sourced products except leather. This goes way beyond just not eating beef, lamb, pork, venison(love venison) or any other mammal you can think of. Cheese, butter, milk and cream, all out. Refined white sugar, which is whitened with bone char, is out, as is soap, laundry detergent, toothpaste, many medicines ( had to change all my prescriptions) and I cannot breathe air near meat cooking. This condition is currently untreatable other than by avoiding anything mammal sourced and will more than likely never go away. Treat your clothes, treat your skin and tick check after every foray into the fields, creeks or beaches, wherever you hunt. Be careful out there.
      Massachusetts

Comment

• outlaws15
        outlaws15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow

• Josie
        Josie commented
        Editing a comment
        My husband has Alpha Gal as well. It’s life changing

• gregszybala
        gregszybala commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow is right. Had no idea all of that could happen. Stay safe.

I don't miss them growing up in Texas. They like to nest in very private areas lol.

Comment

I've had hundreds of tick bites in my life but not in areas back in the Day or currently where they are transmitting those viruses. My gawd Tennessee and South Carolina were vicious. Florida pretty bad but we also have mosquito diseases here... A close friend who was bitten up in NJ, was eventually treated after symptoms years later, got that meat allergy and he can't eat beef for years now...but he has a load of other problems and I wonder if his doctors or him have fully investigated those other animal product triggers...!
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

• Islandpicker
          Islandpicker commented
          Editing a comment
          He should! This thing messes you up in many odd ways..

Tick and chiggers are attracted to me worse then many others. I enjoy being outside. I don't enjoy what the sun, tick and chiggers do.
        My previous routine was get naked spray whole body then spray all my clothes and head out.
        Now I wear a drysuit(have 3, two were for diving and one was for dry caving). Took me a few times to get the neck seal loose enough. Tammy had to help me out two or more times b4 I got neck seal loose enough. First time she was worried I was having heart troubles, but I kept telling her it was the neck seal to tight. Finally got it perfect. I do sweat in it something awful, but I go anywhere, kneel anywhere and it's been great.
        I spray my hat and handkerchief I wear over my head and my hands.
        In the process of making 4 wheel trails on property. Bought a new Honda rancher made trails then bought a Polaris ranger and had to widen and cut over hanging trees for the Polaris.
        Forgot to add I've been hospitalized twice for chiggers
        Missouri

Comment

Island picker I am so sorry, and it is shocking to hear. I should be more careful about ticks. I had Rocky Mountain spotted fever when I was 10 and had Lyme's in my 20's so I am aware of tick diseases but not that one. I'm gonna stock up heavy with the tick spray.
          New Jersey

Comment

• Islandpicker
            Islandpicker commented
            Editing a comment
            I treat my clothes and boots with permethrin then put on the Deet when I hit the woods. Lyme is thick out here, but treatable, Alpha-gal is not. Look into that permethrin, Sawyer makes it...

New Jersey

Comment

By the way, as a child I literally crawled through the woods all year playing in Edison NJ and never had a chigger bite. Not until I moved to the Southern half of the state 26 years ago.
            New Jersey

Comment

• Islandpicker
              Islandpicker commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here, spent every minute in the woods as a kid, a few dog ticks. Out here, Martha's Vineyard, the population of ticks is exploding.

I am allergic highly to pork now I can eat beef once in a while but no pork at all. Some kind of food allergies. My pancreas will shutdown and has shutdown for weeks at a time. You just have to know the signs of the attack coming. One time I didn’t eat anything for 2 weeks just drank fluids. Doctors don’t know what it is they say it’s a rare disorder. I’m just really careful what I eat. I hate chiggers
            NW Georgia,

Comment

I'm shredded with um lol
              New Jersey

Comment

What the heck !!!
                I never even heard of this .
                West coast , snakes !!
                Hawaii Sharks !
                Wayne complained about those as a kid .

Comment

I acted fast enough. Just a couple on each limb. Could have been a disaster if I didn't turn around and have spare clothes, and, my wife would never believe it if I came home without them 🤪
                  New Jersey

Comment

My dad (a bush pilot in Peru) used powder sulfur in an old sock. He would tap it around his ankles. The sulfur really worked too.
                    Last edited by Narrow Way Knapper; 09-12-2021, 11:40 AM.
                    South Carolina

Comment

Working...
                    X