Hemp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemp

I was told by the man that controls weeds. That this is Indian Hemp, only found 2 places in Mississippi any comments?

I wikied indian hemp and found:
    "Indian hemp" may refer to any of various fiber bearing plants
    Apocynum cannabinum
    Cannabis indica
    Sida rhombifolia
    Asclepias incarnata
    Hibiscus cannabinus
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Thanks Tom, and Debbie, not the hemp I'm familiar with!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hi Debbie
        The plant properly known as “Indian Hemp” (normally written as "Indianhemp") is Apocynum cannabinum, but it doesn’t have leaves like that and is widespread across almost all of North America. Apocynum androsaemifolium (Spreading Dogbane) and Asclepias speciosa (Showy Milkweed) are both reported as having been used as inferior substitutes for Indian Hemp by native people but, again, don’t have those 5-fingered fronds and are both widespread.
        That looks like it might be Hibiscus cannabinus (Brown Indian Hemp) which does have those kinds of fronds and also a limited distribution in that it is only considered native to Florida. But the USDA now gives it “L48(I)” status… ie considered to have been introduced into the lower 48 States of North America.
        Cannabis sativa ssp. indica is what we would call marijuana and is only native originally to Hawaii in North America (What? It’s growing wild in a whole bunch of other places? Really?)  hmy:  :laugh:  :whistle:  Sida rhombifolia is Cuban Jute and is widespread across all the Southern States. Asclepias incarnata is Swamp Milkweed and is widespread everywhere apart from the West Coast. Only the first of those has “multi-fingered” leaf fronds.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

No, Hemp looks like this. Wikipedia is Your friend.

http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Counties immediately south of here to this day still have unbelievable amounts of Cannabis sativa growing. During WW11, farmers raised the crop for hemp.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

JoshinMO wrote:

Not sure if that was a serious comment or not. As you say, it isn’t “Hemp”, but that wasn’t the question. The question was “is it Indian Hemp?” The answer is still no. This is Indian Hemp:

[pic by Thomas G. Barnes from USDA Plant Database]
              If Mr Weed Control meant that it was “Brown Indian Hemp” then he might well be right. The USDA database does not provide a picture (neither does Wiki)… it’s not a common plant… but it looks somewhat like this, with distinctive finger-like fronds:

[pic from weblio]
              If that’s what it is then some allowance needs to be made for the fact that those are clearly very young shoots. This is a very tall plant at maturity and leaf morphology varies with age and position on the stems as well as there being subspecies and cultivars. There are a number of other members of the Hibiscus family that it could be and it would take a mature plant in flower to distinguish them.
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

JoshinMO wrote:

Hemp is our friend - and smells like victory in the morning!! B)
                US government propaganda film made during WWII touting the virtues of hemp. The film was aimed at farmers at a time when the miltary was facing a shortage of...

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

OH, Indian Hemp. First I really heard of INDIAN Hemp. Yeah wikipedia doesnt have much on it (It is also an oil/product that can be used for hair treatment) thats about all. See why You are Asking Debbie.
                  Thats Funny Olden. :laugh:
                  http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Just roll on up and see what happens, the real thing will make great rope or the other get you a buzz...
                    Jerry

Comment

Working...
                    X