Quitters of Arrowhead Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quitters of Arrowhead Hunting

Some may have had loss of interest,health issues/injuries or even simply moved. Well I went out for a walk The other day. It was a nice little walk at the creek and I didnt know it would be my last walk there. It may not be but could. I just feel awkward going out to Peoples property and walking around now mostly.

Years ago I could literally walk out back door and start my hunting on the trails to the field. It's just kind of a thing of the past. Actually I enjoy this site more than driving out to the field or creek to look now. If You would have asked that question a couple years ago it would be opposite. Anyway I may get out still sometime but I have lost the desire for "my" old spots. My old neighbor is cool, but just feels weird going over to look at his field is best way I can put it.

I'm sure there are some others here also that have lost interest over time. But I still like Arrowheads!šŸ˜
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Oh, and finding this a few years back kind of filled my appetite. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211203_051545.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	610051
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Actual arrowhead hunting still relatively new idea to me, but I understand what you are saying. Whether itā€™s a combo of getting older (and feeling it) and Covid putting kabash on going outside house, interests involving lotsa activity have been dampened. My business which depended upon public mobility, was always great fun, and took me a long time to build, yet only a year to be virtually wiped out. Sometimes I feel like my agoraphobic dog Bella: even if gate is opened, itā€™s scary and energy-consuming to think about running wild and free.

I keep hoping for a ā€œsecond windā€, so to speak. Maybe itā€™ll come, Josh!
      Last edited by Cecilia; 01-14-2022, 06:47 PM.
      Digging in GA, ā€˜bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

I'm young, I'm blood thirsty. Nothing short of subzero temperatures can stop me from going out to look. Granted, I never find anything, but I'm still searching, still looking...
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          šŸƒšŸ¼šŸ‘ Revel in it!

I'm old but still have the passion to hunt but more of a fair-weather hunter now. I still hunt with the raingear on hot spots and occasionally a road trip out to the high desert.

Comment

I dont half as much as I used to due to an accident 12 years ago.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I am searching for the energy to walk to the car, drive to town, and buy grub today.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Donā€™t Stand for Something, Youā€™ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Amen, brother! Thank God for our memories of fine, fine adventures passed!

We go through many changes through life Josh, some things get left behind because of new interests others continue, Just remember to enjoy the moment.
            As long as I can I will, three hour walk today in one of many farm fields. It gets me out, it gets me in fresh air, it gets me exercise, it get's me a Zen like time to think and wonder, it gets me the ability to find something someone left behind hundreds or thousands of years ago.
            Some of the locals that know me have driven by me while I'm out in a field and yelled "there's the amateur archeologist!"
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• UpNorth
              UpNorth commented
              Editing a comment
              šŸ‘

I recall having 50 + sites and creeks and good legs. most of the sites are gone now as are the legs. Haven't lost intrest but limited to going through boxes of finds to make frames and rembering each point and where I found them , well most all of the great ones anyway. Dug this one out last night and thinking of making a frame of nice lanceolate points. A nice Agate Basin from 71 IL creek. Don't have enough of one type to make a type frame.. Will find a few more and frame them as lanceolate types. Still interested just at a differant level.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (1).jpg
Views:	198
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	610130
            SE IA

Comment

We all change.

When I was a kid I hunted almost every day there wasn't snow on the ground. I'd hunt between corn rows in the summer. When I was older I'd spend summer break with a shovel and gallon milk jug of water a Mississippian sites in Indiana, Illinois and Arkansas until it wasn't legal. When I was in college, I played Indiana Jones and dug in Latin America while it was still legal. Even when it wasn't legal for export, I still dug and just left finds with local collector friends.

Maybe it spoiled me, but it just takes a lot to get me excited about my finds. I still enjoy visiting a desert or exploring, but I'll usually choose the random dry Pleistocene lake where I have a 1 in a 10,000 chance of finding a cool paleo vs hunting a more recent site where beads and bird points are almost guaranteed finds.

Maybe post retirement I'll settle someplace where I can creek hunt or field walk and I'll get excited again.

What hasn't changed is my passion for seeing finds, learning and reading. I honestly get more enjoyment about someone finding a point that gets their blood pumping that I probably would from finding a similar piece.
              Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Whiner, go hunt that field LOLOL. Wait..you got a field to walk?? (I feel your pain, etc etc.)
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Shells, shells, shell artifact, shells, shellls ā€¦ā€¦šŸ˜Ž

You need to dig for em a lot less walking šŸ˜œ. More productive too

Comment

I'm at the point in my life where running my own business and taking care of my growing family takes up most of my time. I usually only find points when I'm working near erosion. Knapping helps relieve stress and my blood pressure on occasion too.
                  South Carolina

Comment

• Hal Gorges
                    Hal Gorges commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Knapping...Yes, yes..šŸŸ

Take up knappin..I drove by a construction site today and the dang car engine just quit on me so I coasted in and took a look..No luck but I had just as big a thrill as when I was in my prime and hunting ..Oh yeah, wouldnā€™t ya know it, as soon as I got back to that ornery car , well you know what happened, and I was late for a doctors appointment to boot..All in all Iā€™d say I had a great day, and now Iā€™m sittin up in bed on a heatin pad..Moral of the story: Good day bad day, get reved up about it cuzz none of us got too many left
                  Last edited by Hal Gorges; 01-14-2022, 11:16 PM.
                  Floridaboy.

Comment

• UpNorth
                    UpNorth commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Go gettum Florida boyā€¦.āœŒļø

• Narrow Way Knapper
                    Narrow Way Knapper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad you had a chance to re-live the glory days. I'm pretty sure that if there was something of historical significance you would have found it. šŸ˜‰

• Cecilia
                    Cecilia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I missed this! But, now I foundā€¦

Click image for larger version

Name:	D3FFF686-6DCA-4580-8A11-7EDFC16D2E72.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	610200 Rule 2 ā€¦ thou shall never quit.
                  Itā€™s in your bloodā€¦.. I ā€œquitā€ this valley, only to find myself going backā€¦ā€¦ keep kickā€™n dirtā€¦.āœŒļø
                  Southeastern Minnesotaā€™s driftless area

Comment

• Hal Gorges
                    Hal Gorges commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Triple giggles on that one šŸ™
                Working...
                X