Private Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Road

Private road no fees or associations a little gravel and grindings it's up to the property owners to maintain. A few neighbors and my family have been working on our private roads for the last 3 days. Basically, filling all the potholes and washouts from the last big storm it was so bad the garbage company refused to come down our roads. Over 49 parcels but only a handful of people doing the work and donating the funds a lot of complaints but little help. We managed to scrap up enough to buy a couple of transfer loads of asphalt grindings and rent a skid steer to move it to the bad spots. We had to dig up a failed culvert and replace across a private driveway by hand that was washing out the side of the road. We had a few complaints about the way we were doing the work and the material we were using my answer to the initialed. Get off your ass and do it yourself we have volunteered our services and money for close to 40 years I'm getting tired but don't mind doing the work. I might do a little more today soon as the ibuprofen kicks in, but I might need something stronger to put up with the B S

I can understand your pain. The entitled bit*h while offering no assistance.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

We have property in county and people I wanna shoot use it as a dump..I usta clean it but decided to let the trash pile up so now it takes effort to dump and seein as how they’re lazy sob’s they’re dumping it elsewhere..So I guess you could say trash is our friend in that case 😉
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
        Narrow Way Knapper commented
        Editing a comment
        An old friend once told me, "we don't need more landfills, we just need deeper ditches".

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        😂

We have a private road that we have maintained for many years. People used to bring their unwanted cats out here and dump them off.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

We have private property belongs to our association. It’s a pretty stream, lil lake, dam. I’m ashamed to say, I’ve only physically worked on it once in 30 yrs. But I’ve always paid my association dues, and they’ve never had to chase me. (Does that count?)
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

I can’t imagine dealing with neighbors like that. No sweat equity & No financial equity = No opinion. Period.
        South Carolina

Comment

We live on a little country road that sees little to no help from the D.O.T. In England they drive on the left side of the road. Out here we drive on what's left of the road.

South Carolina

Comment

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            👌

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            😀

• south fork
            south fork commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly same here

Last year we had a culvert fail under the road simple fix nope. Resident licensed geologist / engineer stopped us from fixing the problem by getting fish and game the county and water district involved. All about lability's and permits a 2000-dollar job ended up costing 30,000 thousand because of this idiot. When all said and done, we didn't need any permits because it was an emergency repair. Paid for by some of us under threat of lawsuits. Some of the initialed have yet to pay a dime the same few idiots that we put up with for years now we have a bunch of newcomers that haven't donated a dime. But enjoy our work oh yea the engineering failed / was unable to be used and the hired construction company had to go back to our original plan. Maybe there will be a Lawsuit lol. Just found out one of the new residents is a lawyer and donated $400 dollars towards our current repair job that buys another load of rock.
          Last edited by south fork; 01-25-2022, 11:13 AM.

Comment

WOW I hear you Dennis! Our land is not our own: We rent it from the government with property taxes. We are over-regulated to a ridiculous level. We have to be careful about digging ditches along our private roads: If cattails grow up in the ditch it's now a wetlands area.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• south fork
              south fork commented
              Editing a comment
              The culvert that failed was 55-gal steel drums with the top and bottoms cut out and welded together lasted over 40 years hillbilly engineering and the drums were used . everything is endangered along our road including the residents lol.

• Ron Kelley
              Ron Kelley commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Dennis, Many of our drainages are ditches cut across the road filled with field rock. We cover the rock with a few layers of tarpaper and then gravel on top. This works great if there isn't too much water flowing.

The more homes on a private road, the harder it is to reach consensus. There are 17 homes on five acre parcels on our private road. Early on we formed a road association. Pay $100 dues yearly to maintain the road, mow the right of ways & plow snow in a blue moon. Have 3 officers to oversee it all. So far it has worked. We finally saved enough money to pave it in stages. Final stage was complete in 2019.
            Child of the tides

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep. That’s what we did to keep our pond, creek right. Sometimes, we stock it…..

Those who complain the most are usually those who do the least ! Good luck !
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Filled a few more holes but just on the portion I use I just don't get it very few help. We have about 49 parcels and maybe ten donated for the current work so far, I have noticed the speed has increased and a few for sale sign's get out while you can .
              Last edited by south fork; 02-04-2022, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X