Sci-Fi Western

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sci-Fi Western

My two favorite genres (besides historical) are science fiction and westerns. Their clever combination can be potent entertainment cocktail (for me, anyway). After all, what more satisfying themes: revenge & redemption, unwavering loyalty to family & friends, multi-generational love & protection of the land, cycling doubt & faith in Higher Power, speculation about past & future, and recognition, acknowledgment & appreciation of the existence of the Unknown?!

Presently being produced is such— a streaming TV series, Outer Range, playing out all those themes in beautiful Wyoming, with breathtaking scenery, horses, cows, (a) buffalo, Cowboys and their saddle-butts, a female NA sheriff, a matriarch named Cecilia, and things appealing especially to us AH-ers: arrows, a mammoth (references only, so far), NA influence, special rocks (shaman’s stones?), petroglyphs.

And, for those who don’t care bout Cowboy-butts or necessary solid women figures, there’s plenty masculine-type appeal: bull-riding, fist fights, fast reckless ATV operation, beer & whiskey drinking, dark smoky saloon-type bars, card-playing, gambling, young attractive mysterious female(s), taciturn stoic macho-men, including patriarch Royal (Josh Brolin), and of course, guns, guns, guns, and more guns…

Amazon/Prime/IMDB (free, I think) just started it, and only few episodes so far, easy to catch up on. I’m enjoying it, but with all those heavy-duty concurrent themes, I hope it doesn’t run years (like intriguing but ultimately unsatisfying show Lost), coz could get lil’ convoluted…..
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6567AF70-C99A-4E69-8D97-589784088C24.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	630340

Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

I really want to watch this but we don't allow amazon into our house.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear ya. Shoot, I didn’t even have a TV as student, or as young working adult; but, when 33 yrs old, then b’frd bought one my apartment, set it up on weight bench in my bedroom. Later, last H put big screen every room…..

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      We've got several streaming services but we are just generally against all things amazon.

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      I understand. When my Daughter born, I bought cloth diapers. I also would not use paper towels, paper plates, paper napkins. I was born an idealist and an activist, but unfortunately, by middle age, I’d grown into somewhat insensible adult….

I just want to know what the deal is with that hole? Cowboys and Aliens, YES! Speaking of that a great Western, er, Sci Fi.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• beatup1354
      beatup1354 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was going to mention that movie to Cecilia

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, Cowboys and Aliens one, Westworld another! Ah,yes,……..what is that thing, that big bottomless(?) hole…. ?!

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      The antagonist rich weird neighbor rancher wants that pasture bad! He knows something about that hole…..

It’s all Greek to me
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s ok, Hal, everyone us glad you speak Artifactish!

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      😉
Working...
X