Guachimontones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guachimontones

Tenoch and I are on a little road trip, the Guachimontones archaeological site was our first stop.
    The Guachimontones are architectural complexes with a circular and concentric floor plan, "discovered" by the American archaeologist Phil C. Weigland (RIP), who began working on the site in 1993. Weigland is remembered with affection and respect in Teuchitlán Jalisco where this site is located and where he found the largest ceremonial precinct of this type in the five states where this architecture has been registered, so Weigland calle It Teuchitlan tradition 350 AC-900DC. (This tradition came to my town 310 km away, there is a hill where there is a settlement that presents circular architecture)
    At the top of the central altars they found vestiges of a hole to place a pole in which the "shaman" performed the flyers dance, of which there is evidence in ceramic models, found in the shaft tombs carved under the structures, some of the tombs hace shafts that measure 20 meters and up to 4 burial chambers, what do you say about this Egypt? LOL. On the site there are several ball games also associated with the circles, chinampas, residential and military units, obsidian workshops that are abundant in the area, they controlled the distribution and production of artifacts, one of the most characteristic are the prismatic macroblades and adornments. It is a very beautiful site, especially this season, it has a great extension, only a small part of its totality has been excavated.
    Apart from visit the archaeological sites in the area of ​​the Tequila volcano, the plan for this trip was to try to meet some flintknapper to enlighten me and collect obsidian to take home and have a good supply....
    ! Friends visit Mexico!
    In chimalli in macahuitl

Very interesting post..Thanks 👍
    Floridaboy.

Comment

There is something really cool about visiting some of the "smaller" sites that aren't overrun with tourists.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Tenoch
        Tenoch commented
        Editing a comment
        without a doubt there are many interesting places underestimated, fortunately or unfortunately, For most people everything is Mayans and Aztecs even stir them up lol

very cool

Comment

thanks for the tour, very cool place!
        2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

👍👍
          Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Mexico has so many wonderful places to explore. Like Clovisoid stated, the lessor known sites are plentiful. Your post reminds me of traveling south of Puebla to Tehuacan on to Oaxaca. Takes me down memory lane. 😊. Just wish I was as interested in history, then, as I am now.
            South Carolina

Comment

• Tenoch
              Tenoch commented
              Editing a comment
              Oaxaca is very cool, you should come man...call me ..
              Last edited by Tenoch; 08-10-2022, 10:03 PM.

Nice thread .

Comment

Working...
            X