Guinness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guinness

It’s been a while since I’ve posted on the forum. Life has been topsy turvy the past 2 years as I’ve cared for my 14 1/2 year old Standard poodle, Guinness.
    He was my brown clown since the day I brought him home. He was my constant companion— through a divorce, a back injury, Covid, and dozens of challenges. He made me laugh, gave me confidence to hike in solitude with him by my side, and accepted a new man in my life with enthusiasm.
    when he developed spinal myelopathy, he was stoic. When his sight and hearing faded, he relied on us to guide him through his world. The final insult was dementia.
    He would wander the house at all hours, getting lost in corners and trapped behind doors & under furniture. He would stand for hours, just gazing off into the distance, unable to see or navigate his world.
    We lost sleep as he woke us often at night needing to go out, be fed, cuddled and calmed.
    The Guinness we knew had become a stranger. We began mourning him a year ago.
    Today he let us know he had had enough. We sent his soul over the Rainbow Bridge to join all the other dogs I’ve loved and lost.
    I have no doubt he will be waiting for me when it’s my turn to depart this earth.
    Child of the tides

Sorry for your loss Deb. Sounds like he was a fine companion.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Been there done that. I'm sorry.

Comment

I’m sorry Deb. I just went thru the same 2 months ago. It’s a horrible sadness that, for me, has not been easy to get over. Mine was my hunting buddy also. I truly believe that I’ve never had a friend that has been a better friend than my fur babies. Hang in there.
        South Carolina

Comment

• Havenhunter
          Havenhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks so much. Guinness was quite the retriever too & his greatest joy was seeking out the squirrels that “magically” dropped out of the trees. In fact he brought one back to show me just hours before. We called him Captain Crunch for obvious reasons. Hunting was one activity that gave him momentary lucidity.
          My condolences for your loss as well.
          Deb

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          🥲

Sorry for your loss…. Click image for larger version

Name:	561B8BEE-D5E1-4D67-8094-5BA4119E6393.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	667487
        Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• Havenhunter
          Havenhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          So true! The sun will still come up, the birds will still sing, the waves will continue their relentless wash upon my shore. The only thing that’s different this morning is my dog is gone, and my world is a sadder place for it. Thank you for your kind words.

”Just when Man thought he could not go on, God gave him Dog.”

I am so very sorry. I love people, but I love animals more, especially Dogs and Horses. Standard poodles are supposed to be one of the smartest breeds —- smarter than some children! You must have taken extremely good care of Guinness, since 14.5 years is a very long life for a large Dog. I have had many Dobermans, a comparable size breed, and their average lifespan is 7 years. My Simon lived til he was 15, and though he died some years ago, I think about him constantly. He, too, was funny, and so very smart….

My heart hurts for yours…

Last edited by Cecilia; 12-16-2022, 10:17 PM.
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Havenhunter
          Havenhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Cecelia, I hope you have another fur person to warm your heart? Like you, I have come to live and respect dogs over much of mankind. I found mine to be a good judge of character.

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          🥲

So sorry Deb. We are so much closer to a pet than we realize.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

He was truly my baby boy with more nicknames than you can imagine. As dementia robbed him of his personality, I began mourning his losses before my loss yesterday.
          Child of the tides

Comment

I'd try and keep Him off My mind for awhile, like a few years. Sorry about Your Pal.
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
            X