Fun way to decorate an axolotl tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun way to decorate an axolotl tank

So my son has been begging for an Axolotl for a couple years now. I finally broke down and bought him one for Christmas.

It's living in a small (13 gallon) tank in my basement office right now so he doesn't see it. We have our main tank (a 40 gallon breeder) cycling in his video game room. I explained to him that it usually takes 6-8 weeks for a tank to cycle and be ready to stock with fish/axolotls/etc so he thinks there's no way the tank will be ready by Christmas (it will be!). He's under the impression that he won't be getting the Axolotl until his birthday in February. He's going to be blown away when he finds it in the tank Christmas morning.

Anyway I've been experimenting with different decorations to achieve the look I want and today I had an idea... net weights!!!

Axolotls have very soft, fragile skin so any decor with sharp edges can cause injury. These net weights are perfect bc they are smooth and flat . Plus it's as if Native People were fishing in the area and lost a few weights so it kind of fits with the whole "aquatic" theme.

All 5 chipped net weights and the quartz point are from eastern, MA.
    Attached Files

I think he's going to love it. Way to go dad! 😁👍
    South Carolina

Comment

How big will they get in your larger tank?

About 8 years ago we took a family vacation to Mexico and one of things we did was release some captive born "wild" axolotls into the canals. They breed them to maybe 8 to 10 inches so the tilapia and carp can't eat them. It's unfortunately so polluted they probably don't survive more than a couple of years, but it keeps a small population in what was once a formerly majestic Aztec lake.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Atlantic City
        Atlantic City commented
        Editing a comment
        I think 8-10" is about as big as most get. Hopefully the wild axolotls will make a comeback.

same as what we call water dogs?

Comment

• Atlantic City
        Atlantic City commented
        Editing a comment
        Cousins. "Water dogs" its another name for Leopard Salamanders. Axies are a very closely related species that live only in Mexico.

Wow. My daughter had giant fish tanks as her nightlight, and later, as her “television”. But, we never had one of them!
      He is gonna be ecstatic. Good job, Atlantic!
      Last edited by Cecilia; 12-19-2022, 01:12 PM.
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Cute li’ll critter and colorful....the smile on his face will light up the whole room..nice work🎅🏻🇺🇸
        Floridaboy.

Comment

Always good for kids to have some type of living thing to be responsible for and learn about .
          My poor Dad .. we brought home everything .

Comment

Working...
          X