Big truck to little truck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big truck to little truck.

For the last 6 years I've daily driven my work truck. It's a 2002 6.0 Chevy Silverado 2500. It's a beast and does everything you ask, but dangggg the gas mileage is killing me more than ever.

We switched shops at work and now my commute is 20minutes one way vs 5minutes like it use to be. I also find myself driving more now days for hobbies (Like arrowhead hunting haha) and every time I fill up it's another $120. I took a 200 mile trip last week on the freeway and calculated my MPG and came right above 7mpg. DANGGGG! Literally just lighting money on fire.

Well, last year February a little latino dealership near me had an almost immaculate 1999 Ranger 4x4, with the 5 speed for sale for $3,999. A little higher mileage at 150k, but like I said, it's immaculate. It has a mountain of maintenance receipts in the dash and has had almost every major maintenance item replaced in the last 2 years like clutch, brakes, slave master etc. Only thing wrong with it was the upper and lower control arm ball joints were shot. I only bought it because it was a good deal for my area. Anything rust free, manual, and 4x4 commands mad money up in Wisconsin. So I bought it and parked it for a year.

Now a year later, sick of paying $100 a week in gas, I finally fixed the ranger's balljoints and it fired up right away after a year of sitting. Filled the tank and went for nice long drive. Averaged 20mpg on the freeway going 65mph on the stock granny tires and keeping my foot out of it. That's gonna put $50-$75 bucks back in my pocket every week. I am happy to say the least.

Also I won't have to pay the insane part bills for the big 'ol 2500 anymore. Everything on that truck costed $200 or more. Hubs, Exhaust, Wheelbearings, everything costed an arm and a leg. Versus the ranger, everything is like $50-$75 to replace. I paid less than $300 for both driver and passenger upper control arms and lower balljoints (Moog) and installed them in a weekend taking my time drinking beer. On my 2500 that'd have been a $700 job and taken 3-4 days.

Gonna miss the room the big truck has, but not as much as I missed not paying $100 a week in gas, and always handing out hundreds for the minor repairs.

That’s a sad story..Having to give up things we love..btw, be sure to vote🇺🇸
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Gorges View Post
      That’s a sad story..Having to give up things we love..btw, be sure to vote🇺🇸
      Not sure what ya mean by voteus.

It's not that sad, it was a nice truck but impractical to daily drive. I still got plenty of big haulers at work to do the dirty work. Just no more driving it around town.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        👍🇺🇸

• clovisoid
        clovisoid commented
        Editing a comment
        Just in case the emoji doesn't show on your device, voteus was vote with an American flag when Hal posted it.

Years ago switched from a jeep to a hybrid.

Averaging around 48 mpg. It's a boring 48 mpg, but I don't really miss driving a more powerful vehicle most days.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

My first truck was a Mitsubishi Mighty Max that got 20 mpg. Now I drive a Ram 3500 that can tow a lot more and I get about 21mpg diesel. I'm not a big fan of Dodge, but having a Cummings diesel engine makes it totally worth it.
        South Carolina

Comment

Good for you. A nice ride with that kind of savings?! Nice.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by Narrow Way Knapper View Post
            My first truck was a Mitsubishi Mighty Max that got 20 mpg. Now I drive a Ram 3500 that can tow a lot more and I get about 21mpg diesel. I'm not a big fan of Dodge, but having a Cummings diesel engine makes it totally worth it.
            Yeah, too cold to daily a diesel up here, and the repairs are even worse for those. Ever try to get a truck to a diesel shop and looked at either? Up here, it's a 2-3week wait minimum at any diesel shop just to get them looked at. Then longer cause parts order etc.

We run the ford 7.3l at work in our dumpers and f350s. Love them, but damn they're a pain to start when it's -20* here like it often is in winter. We just bought a new 2022 7.3 gasser for our plow rig. Still only gets 6.9mpg plowing, but it starts no matter how cold it is.

Also, diesel being always $1-2$ more than gas around here, the mileage you get out of one becomes less exciting to me.

I love diesels, and god bless the creators, but I only drive em for work.

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
              Narrow Way Knapper commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I'm not used to your kind of cold. Maybe a gasser is better in your area. Around here a good Cummins needs minimal maintenance. Mine has over 320,000 miles on it and all I've ever had to do is change the oil, filters and a belt.
          Working...
          X