The price of silver.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The price of silver.

In case you-all dont know the price of silver is the highest its been since the Hunt brothers tryed to corner the market over 30 years ago. I cashed in friday at $35.29 an ounce. Thats 20-1!!! Four 1964 quarters will fetch ya $20 bucks! Mark.

Wow, I gotta go through my coin collection! The wifes jewlery, the silverware, let me, what else?
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Mark, is there a difference between sliver and sterling silver? I have a platter that is sterling and it's 1 lb. 12.2oz. Sure glad you posted this!   
      Sherry

Comment

Not sure? I dont think its 90% silver like american coins? Also Canadian coins pre 1966 are 70% silver but not sure of silver content of sterling? I think coin silver is over 90%. Sorry!

Comment

Just googled it, .925% WOW!

Comment

92.5 % silver, 7.5% copper. AND silver is now over $36 an ounce. Thats worth around a grand! Just google "spot price of silver" to check on current price. It tends to drop a buck or two when it takes a big jump like this cause so many people will sell all at once. Supply -and- Demand! Mark.

Comment

I saw that silver was up on the stockmarket reports but didn't think it was that high.  I started collecting back in the 60's both US and World coins and gots lots of silver.  But some of them are prob worth more to a collector than the price in silver.  Trouble is to find a collector willing to buy them.  Think I'll start checking my collection again. ---Chuck
              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I thought now was the time to buy silver due to the economy...not selling it?...jn

Comment

Well- if'n ya need the money now is the time to sell.  However, the rule of thumb is buy low sell high.  If silver continues to rise in price then buying now could be the thing.  Either way it's kinda a gamble.  Personally, I think gold and silver prices are a fluke caused by our current economic crisis, as is usually the case.  I can remember when gold was less than $300 an ounce and it's $1436 and ounce now.  As the economy improves (?) the prices will level out or drop.  ---Chuck
                  Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Chuck, like you said make sure they are junk coins. One of the reasons coin dealers buy it is they get some great coins for the price of silver content. The guy I took it to showed me a ms-64 49-s franklin somebody cashed in for silver. Its worth over $100 bucks. So look them up before cashing in! Jon, silver 8-12 an oz. for the last 30 years. Hit 15 something about 5 or six years ago. I cashed in 16 lbs. of junk coins at that time...OOPS!!!! In 1980 when it hit 40 an oz. I told my dad to sell. He said "It will go higher" two days later it was 8.50. My grandpa then my dad owned a small grocery-gas-party store for 54 years. They saved all the silver even pre64. He lost out on around $100,000 bucks cause he waited. They say it may hit 40 but........!!!!! Mark.

Comment

My wife took some more coins in to cash in this morning. Was almost $38 an ounce. Got 29 times face value. Thats $7.25 for a silver quarter. FYI. Mark.

Comment

Yea - I've got a lot of proof and Unc coins that I bought that are 40% silver and a bunch in holders that are pre-64's.  I also collected some foreign when I was a travelin man in the Navy and that's probably what I'll get rid of.  ---Chuck

Comment

UPDATE>>>>>> $46.62 an ounce!

Comment

Working...
                          X