Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painshill's PC Crashed!

Hi folks
    If you’ve observed I haven’t posted much in the last couple of weeks, it’s not because I’ve been sulking in a corner somewhere. Well actually I have, but for unrelated reasons. My PC has been spluttering for a few weeks and had corrupted my profile. After I restored that, it obligingly gave me a warning that the hard disk might be about to fail, and then collapsed at the next boot. inch: All this was happening while I’ve had two trips away from home – one to the Netherlands.
    I wasn’t really able to do much about it until the travelling stopped. It’s been a nightmare. Couldn’t print my airline e-tickets or boarding passes. No e-mail access. Everything was backed up but I didn’t have a PC to restore it onto. I’ve been grabbing time to post via my work PC in odd moments but it’s slow and doesn’t access any of my personal data or my multiple home e-mail addresses. Apologies to those to whom I owe replies and to whom I have promised goodies (Everett: if you’re reading this I haven’t forgotten you and will mail you today with an update. Jessy: I just sent you an e-mail.)
    I ultimately took the view that a new PC was a better option than a new hard disc. I now have it and am on day 4(!) of re-installation -and- configuration. I have had to set up a new wireless router and home network, reconfigure my broadband, reinstall all the software apps I was using and restore the data. It’s blisteringly fast but it’s also Windows 8 plus Explorer 10… and that hasn’t been without its issues. :angry:
    At one point I was stuck in limbo whereby halfway through installing MS Office, it required me to verify an e-mail they sent to me… but I couldn’t receive the e-mail without the software being installed and my webmail app wouldn’t work with Windows 8. The Microsoft technician couldn’t see the irony of the situation. :huh:
    Anyways, I’m now up and running with the essentials and progressively restoring things to how they were. At least I haven’t lost any important data. Maybe just a dozen or so recently-saved files immediately prior to the crash.
    For anyone who doesn’t bother to back up their data, I have some advice. Buy a portable USB storage disc and run frequent backups.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

I did miss you Roger and just figured you were Globe-Trotting. Glad you got things worked out!
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

painshill wrote:

Hi folks
      For anyone who doesn’t bother to back up their data, I have some advice. Buy a portable USB storage disc and run frequent backups. 
        This x1000
      There is no reason not to have backups, I have been going through a computer upgrade myself and am constantly going back to my backup drive for that one file that I need once every month or so that I cant get back if I lost it.
      Everyone should be in the habit of backing up at least bi-weekly...Set it up to automatically do it!

Comment

A little update. Things have gone from bad to worse.   inch:
        The shiny new PC is not doing what it's supposed to. I'm getting BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) issues with Windows 8 and a little Googling tells me I'm not alone.
        This isn't going to be easy to sort. I had two hours on the phone with my broadband service provider and another couple of hours on the phone with a Microsoft techie to get this far. Trying the things they have been suggesting takes many hours of tinkering and then testing and waiting to see the effects. It's pretty much taking up all of my free time, so the forum doesn't really have my attention at the moment.
        I'll be back (but perhaps sporadically). Im the meantime, just remember: when in doubt, it's a concretion. Or a brachiopod. Or a bison tooth. Or a scrapper. But not Viking.  :whistle: You'll do just fine without me.
        Roger
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Man I feel for ya Roger. But I don't care what you say, the Vikings caused the melt down! Look for there markings, I am sure they are hidden.
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Roger, We need you back! Concretions are taking over and it seems to be a Viking Plot! Seriously though, I hope you can get this straightened out soon.
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

It's gonna take longer than I thought.
              The new PC seems to have a hardware fault that cannot be diagnosed or fixed without a return-to-base for repair. Since it's brand new, it's going back for a refund and I'll be starting again from scratch. Maybe I won't get the same model. Maybe I won't go for Windows 8 this time.

Comment

Good luck Painshill,  I'll be keeping an eye out for Vikings post and any references to wives of Henry VIII !

Comment

painshill wrote:

I'll be back (but perhaps sporadically). Im the meantime, just remember: when in doubt, it's a concretion. Or a brachiopod. Or a bison tooth. Or a scrapper. But not Viking.  :whistle: You'll do just fine without me.
                  Roger
                    LOL, I like your advice Roger.
                  Good luck with the PC issues.
                  11KBP

Comment

I refuse to go to Windows 8, It seems to me that what Microsoft did to 20+ years of people getting used to a certain UI and then throw that all out the window to appeal to the touchscreen movement/fad is going to end up being a step back for them.  PC's arent only used for browsing the internet after all.
                    Guess Ill have to get back into Linux if they continue down this path
                    Sorry for the rant, Nerd Life

Comment

AndrewSchwinn wrote:

I refuse to go to Windows 8, It seems to me that what Microsoft did to 20+ years of people getting used to a certain UI and then throw that all out the window to appeal to the touchscreen movement/fad is going to end up being a step back for them.  PC's arent only used for browsing the internet after all.
                      Guess Ill have to get back into Linux if they continue down this path
                      Sorry for the rant, Nerd Life
                        OK... last new PC returned to the store with only minimal argument. For reasons I won't go into, I have a strong suspicion that PC had been previously returned by another customer and restored to it's original factory settings before being re-sold to me.
                      Didn't buy the same model. Got "traded up" with a discount offer as a gesture of goodwill. Still Windows 8 though... almost everything with a decent spec is these days. Bring back those punch cards we used to have when I first started my career.  :laugh:
                      Web connectivity working (I'm using it now). E-mail not yet restored. Long ways to go yet.

Comment

Hang in there Roger you will get there. Windows 8 Blah! I am still running XP ehhh call me old school LOL
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

UPDATE:
                          PC is reconfigured with network and e-mail restored (I'm using it now) but just waiting a couple of days to make sure it's stable before I put all the data back.
                          There's a Windows message to say it's going to re-boot my system in 2 days to "finish installing important updates". Never seen that kind of message before and rebooting it today hasn't forced the updates to happen earlier. I won't count my chickens until after that update has happened and I'm sure it hasn't created any conflicts.

Comment

Best of luck with it Roger.
                            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                            X