Sound Familiar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Familiar?

The V&A Museum in London currently has a special exhibition of stringed instruments made by the Stradivari family and I heard one of their experts being interviewed on the radio this morning. The museum also has weekly slot where visitors can bring things in for identification and so the recent focus has naturally been on violins found in attics and handed down through families.
    In comes one guy, proudly clutching his “Stradivarius” violin. The expert looked at the label inside, which said: “Made in Czechoslovakia” with “Stradivarius” underneath and said: “But that’s impossible! The Stradivarius workshop was in Cremona in Italy”.
    “Yes, I know” came the reply. “Not many people know this, but when Antonio Stradivari was eight years old his family took him on holiday to the seaside in Czechoslovakia. That’s where he made his first violin. So it’s not only rare because of the Czechoslovakian origin, but it’s probably the earliest surviving example of his work”.
    The expert then pointed out that Antonio Stradivari died in 1737 and “Czechoslovakia” didn’t exist as a State by that name until 1918… and also that the words “made in…” were in English.
    The violin’s owner continued to dispute the expert opinion and hold on to his belief about the rarity of what he had. Does any of that sound familiar?
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Oh boy!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Was it a giant violin?  :crazy:
      Southern Connecticut

Comment

cgode wrote:

Was it a giant violin?  :crazy:
           :rolf:
          Antonio Stradivari was 12 feet tall. Not a lot of people know that.

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I know a museum that would like to display that Painshill!

Comment

Working...
          X