New Years Holiday Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Years Holiday Football

Hi y'all. My son (age 13) and I are geared up for football today and tomorrow. We have the following thoughts on the major games:
    Alabama vs. Ohio State.
    My prediction is Alabama 35-Ohio State 17. Yes, this is a National Championship Semifinal, and both teams will be fired up to play football. However, as I once discussed with a Chicago area sportswriter, the thing most people miss is that football in the Deep South is not about just sports. It is about the southern loss during the Civil War---and an overwhelming number of southern people view a football game against a team like Ohio State as a replay of the Civil War---a chance to get the "blue bellies" back for what they did to Virgil Cain. If there is anything Alabama hates more than Auburn, it is a Yankee football team from north of the Ohio River. This means there is extra fan motivation, and Nick Saban will be under extraordinary pressure to deliver---above and beyond the normal National Championship pressure.
    Florida State vs. Oregon
    Florida State 42-Oregon 35. This is a hard one for me. I really like the Ducks. The problem is that their entire conference is made up of teams with questionable football credentials---meaning Oregon ain't played nobody much. Is Marcus Mariota really the best QB in the land, or is he just the best QB at beating a conference chocked full of cream puff (well, maybe jelly doughnut) teams. The other problem is that Florida State seems to find a way to win no matter what. They are often narrow victories that come through some of the ugliest-looking and most inept-looking football---but they are victories nonetheless. Therefore, I have to give Florida State a slight edge---but my heart is really with the Ducks.
    My son and I have been trying to figure out something all Autumn. If Jame is Winston, then why didn't they just name him Winston. :rolf: Just kidding. We think it amazing that a player this young can have the leadership qualities that he does.
    Iowa vs. Tennessee
    Iowa 21-Tennessee 17. This game will be played in the Taxaslayer Bowl in Jacksonville, Florida, at 3:00 p.m. on Friday. Being a Tennessee alumnus, I have to be for Tennessee. Realistically though, I do not give Tennessee much of chance. Our offensive line is still young and terrible. Our young QB has difficulty passing, and our wide receivers have difficulty getting open to catch a ball. Worst of all, a large number of Tennessee's key players are hurt and cannot play---or are awaiting adjudication on alleged crimes such as rape.:crazy:The only glimmer of hope I see was obtained on an Iowa football forum a few days ago wherein the Iowa fans pretty much agreed that Iowa is soft in the middle of its defensive line, which means that a team can have success running the ball where most teams would dare not run the ball---up the middle. If Iowa's middle is soft, our running backs and mobile QB can take big advantage of that in the running game. The Tennessee defense is probably good enough to hamper Iowa scoring and keep it to a minimum.

Agree for the most part, but I have a feeling the ducks are going to have a good game. Florida state has squeeked by with some close calls this season,  but I think Mariota is going to have a big time game.... just my inclination. 
         Who wins between the Oregon and Bama in the championship? Any other year I would say Bama no doubt. But I'm just not as confident this year. All one can do is kick back and see who comes to play and who don't  :dunno:
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Oregon is gonna destroy the Florida st. Im so geared up for that game. Bama should beat Ohio. then Oregon beats bama. Anyways how bout them PIGS. They destroyed texas.

Comment

Yeah.  Those pigs were on a rampage!!!

Comment

Kyflintguy wrote:

Agree for the most part, but I have a feeling the ducks are going to have a good game. Florida state has squeeked by with some close calls this season,  but I think Mariota is going to have a big time game.... just my inclination. 
               Who wins between the Oregon and Bama in the championship? Any other year I would say Bama no doubt. But I'm just not as confident this year. All one can do is kick back and see who comes to play and who don't  :dunno:
            Yes.  That "squeeze by" thing that Florida State does has been useful.  I'm just wondering if that has been a highly unusual string of good luck that is about to run out?  Two other factors are that east coast teams sometimes have a hard time with the 3-hour time change---screws up biorhythms---and the Rose Bowl will be like a home game for the Ducks.

Comment

[QUOTE]orari wrote:

Originally posted by Kyflintguy post=144809
              Yes.  That "squeeze by" thing that Florida State does has been useful.  I'm just wondering if that has been a highly unusual string of good luck that is about to run out?  Two other factors are that east coast teams sometimes have a hard time with the 3-hour time change---screws up biorhythms---and the Rose Bowl will be like a home game for the Ducks.
              Good point! Definitely factors to be considered!
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
            X