Final four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final four

I don't think anyone is going to beat Kentucky,  but if anyone can, then I would put my money on Wisconsin.
    South Dakota

Kentucky is too close to the prize to lay down now, I expect Kentucky to play with more determination and tenacity in these last three games , Than they have all year. But hey anything can happen,  and Wisconsin matches up with them better than anyone (plus they are still mad about last years final four). But one game at a time, Notre Dame is playing good basketball, so tonight should be interesting.  I look for size to prevail.  I went and watched The Cats beat Tennessee in Knoxville this year. Had great seats, you don't realize how big Ky is till you see them in real life, it's ridiculous!  GO BIG BLUE!
    Ps I hope Wisconsin isn't looking ahead at Kentucky,  because Arizona is a 2 seed for a good reason.  They have went off radar this year but boy they can play!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I was hoping Providence could get to the Sweet 16. Kris Dunn is one of the 3 best PG in the country. But, unfortunately the Committee gave Dayton a home game and home boy refs who were determined not to allow Providence to advance. First true road game, with 16,000 Dayton fans, that I've ever seen played in the NCAA Tournament. Work your butt off to get a 6 seed, and they hand you the worse road game set up in the tournament's entire history. My team stunk, but the refs acted to ensure Providence would not be able to get back in it. Everybody, starting with the announcers, called the technical against Providence coach Cooley "the worst official's call in decades during the NCAA Tournament. Worse call in decades!" Thanks for nothing, Selection Committee.
      Hope the title game is a game, and not a Ky runaway, whoever wins....
      Rhode Island

Comment

Yes. Hoping at least for a good game
        South Dakota

Comment

Go Big Blue!!!!!

Comment

Lost three years off my life watching that one! geez! Props to Notre Dame, they played Ky better than anyone all year! On to Wisconsin!
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Almost! I was rooting for ND. I think Calipari is the most disliked coach in America. Not the players, fans, or programs fault. But his teams could beat many, if not most, D League NBA farm teams, and represent the fact that for the best Division 1 programs, their teams are farm teams for the pros.  Kentucky is as good as some pro D League teams I'm sure. They are in the final four with 3 also rans, and maybe they actually can lose. ND almost did it. But, in general, might as well make up a class higher then Div. 1 basketball. Made up of Ky and any other college team made up of 100% future NBA players. Those teams should not be allowed to play other Div. 1 teams.  Ky. Is a semi-pro basketball team and should not be playing in Div. 1 college basketball. As constituted, they should play in a college equivalent of the NBA D League. There are only a handful of such teams in potential, as it were. Kentucky is the only one this year. They have a ridiculous advantage and it just seems silly to me that we have a Div. 1 system consisting in 2015 of Kentucky and then everybody else. Yes, they can be beat, but probably won't be. So, when all is said and done, the NCAA could just declare Kentucky the winner before the Tournament and why hold a tournament at all that includes Kentucky?
              Just rambling and ranting. Don't mind me. I just think the NCAA should acknowledge some college programs are now the equivalent of NBA D League teams and should have their own Division above the Division 1 schools that get some good players, but are not professional rosters disguised as college teams. Kentucky is a professional team playing college ball. They can be beat, but should be in a different tournament to begin with.....
              Of course, nothing personal against Kentucky or it's fans. This rant is just part and parcel of an ongoing debate bemoaning the impact professional sports has on the college game. It's just part of that ongoing debate. I'm old enough to remember when freshmen had to play on junior varsity freshmen teams, and when players actually spent 4 years and graduated from college! True story!! Players actually used to graduate from college! It's in Ripley's Believe it or Not, don't take my word for it :rolf:
              Rhode Island

Comment

This is a new era in college basketball.  The game has changed. Yes Kentucky is sending more pros to the league than anyone else, but Cal keeps the best interest of those kids in mind, as he should.  Cal has changed the game and has followed the same rules that apply to every other basketball team. Yes we are having a ridiculous season were we've beaten every team we've played, but it's not that way every year. Remember two years ago we got beat in the first round of the NIT by Robert Morris. We lost 7 games last season to several less than average teams. There will be dominant teams that rise up in Basketball, Just the same as other sports teams like UConns women's team, Alabama football, New England patriots,   Miami Heat, Ucla of the 70's...... College athletics has always had the great,  the good, the ok, The not so good..... without Dominating teams there would be no Cinderella stories or major upsets,  the kinds of games that propel mid majors into historic lore. David and Goliath... lol I could go on and on.
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I do hear you, Josh, and I have nothing personal re Calipari or Kentucky. I just remember when college sports was not a farm system for professional sports. It simply has not helped the college game. My team, Providence, has a PG, who, if projected to go in the top 20 first round, will likely go. Not for a second saying all this is somehow "wrong". But the result is the emergence of a team like Kentucky, which, because of it's storied legacy and standing in the sport, is, in effect, a semi-pro team every single year. Yes, in the tourney upsets happen, and they are all kids when you come down to it. But I think the system creates a class of "super programs" that should probably be playing in their own class and not with Division 1 schools. No, that isn't practical at all and won't happen. Don't blame Kentucky at all. They are simply taking max advantage of their perennial standing. It certainly is not a crime to be in a better position then any other program in the nation at attracting the best recruits.
                  It just seems that if Calipari stayed, you probably develop a scenario where Kentucky wins the national championship 9 years out of every 10. Which seems wrong, but then UCLA won more then that in a row. But I do hope we are not moving into an era where Kentucky wins 9 out of every 10 tournaments played, just because they're the team with 10 first round draft picks or at least the first unit are all first rounders. As some have noted, it's likely Kentucky could play and beat the worse teams in the NBA right now.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

I hear you Charlie, even Cal has expressed that the rule should be changed to a two year system. Kentucky and the other perennial powerhouses are different than other schools from a personnel perspective,  they get those big recruits year after year. And in that respect they are different. I understand the scenario your picturing of a unbeatable team for the next ten years, but I don't see it happening that way. Were going to have good teams as long as Cal is here but I don't forsee another UCLA type run were we win it year after year. He's been here for 5 years and we have one Championship to show for it. So I don't see that scenario,  plus there are other programs that rise from the mid major level and still compete in this world of super schools.  Look at Wichita state, or Butler.  Those teams still finds ways to be successful in the midst of this new era and I don't see that changing. Those smaller schools can still be successful with four year players and good old fashion Defense imo. So I think the Game has Changed but that's just natural in a changing world and changing perspectives. Those players don't have a need for college degrees if there going to sign a multi million dollar contract as soon as they get drafted.
                    As far as Kentucky beating a NBA team? No that's just false imo. Not even the worst team on there worst day and KY at there best. The depth of talent is just to far off to even be close imo.
                    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Josh, I honestly believe Kentucky could beat the Knicks more often then they would lose to them. I'll leave it at that, since I really don't know one way or another. But, having seen the Knicks recently a couple times, I really don't think they could beat Kentucky on their best night!! Kentucky is a much better team then the Knicks. Better athletes all around. But just my opinion, maybe the Knicks would kill 'em :dunno:
                      Rhode Island

Comment

:rolf: Yeah that's a debate we will never get to the bottom of. The Knicks stink at the pro level but I think any pro team would play above there norm versus a amateur team . I personally can't stand to watch the pros because they don't compete hard every play, every game, week in and week out. The finals are ok but other than that it's just about money and preserving the players . They purposely lose just to get picks and that kills it for me.
                        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

It was a close one.  This game is too, but don't see either one of these beating Kentucky.   Michigan state leading in OT.
                          South Dakota

Comment

Kyflintguy wrote:

:rolf: Yeah that's a debate we will never get to the bottom of. The Knicks stink at the pro level but I think any pro team would play above there norm versus a amateur team . I personally can't stand to watch the pros because they don't compete hard every play, every game, week in and week out. The finals are ok but other than that it's just about money and preserving the players . They purposely lose just to get picks and that kills it for me.
                              I follow bb in two ways. Providence in college ball since the 50's. Waxes and wanes, some years I follow more closely then others, but I like the new coach hired in 2011, so more interest recently. And two, I follow any players who played college ball in RI in the pro ranks should they make it.  Only reason I saw any Knicks games is because they signed an ex PC guy to a 10 day contract. And by "follow" I really mean just box scores and recaps, hardly see any pro games. But Boston has been a focal point of championships in recent years, and I can remember following the Celtics in the playoffs when they won last, not that many years ago. Pretty much has to be a local angle somewhere for my interest to be really drawn in, regardless of the sport. And when the Red Sox are bad,  summers really are not quite the same
                            Rhode Island

Comment

Josh I hate UK basketball.  Only because they are so dominant.  I thought Notre Dame might give them fits but Wisconsin is not going to.  They are too slow in my opinion.  I follow UNC and WVU.  I like UNC because of Jordan of course.  Also like the UNC/Duke rivalry.  I'm not sure how everyone outside of WV thinks of Bob Huggins but I like him a lot.  I think he is an actual person and not a robot pleasing the media.  He tells you what he thinks and doesn't sugar coat it.  Plus he looks like he could be your neighbor haha.  I can trust a guy like that.  I also really like Charles Barkley's analysis and Bobby Knight.  Honesty is a rare thing on TV these days.
                              Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Working...
                              X