Anybody in to card collecting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody in to card collecting?

I have always been a huge fan of basketball cards growing up. I recently decided that I wanted to track down some autographs lately and make a nice display case for them. I recently acquired 2 of the 3 cards for the case. Third one being the greatest player of all times autograph...Jordan. Tough one to get and I'm not a Rockefeller so the MJ auto is going to take some time getting.

I must say...I am a fan of autographs. I can see how Larry's signature is all fancy dancy even incorporates his "33" in his signature.....Magic's is more of a scribble. Jordan's "M" in his signature incorporates a 23 if you look at it closely.

I know this is a collectors bunch of people...anyone else collect sports cards?

Also side note...this is what happens when I can't go find artifacts haha

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG00607.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	176025

Montani Semper Liberi

Not really ever collected cards.....I do have a couple of books of baseball cards and a box full of well preserved cards under my bed for the past 15 years..(picked up at a yard sale)..maybe I should pull em out and take a look....may have a star rookie card in their somewhere??? I'll keep ya posted

Comment

I used to collect them as a kid. Never really had any of great value, but I haven't looked at any of them in years. May need to dust them off and check them out.

Comment

I haven't thought about or picked up a card since I was probably 12. I started to look around online after I couldn't go artifact hunting because of the weather/deer season/leaves etc. Thought about how I always wanted Jordan, Bird, Magic autos and just now I am starting to get them. A lot has changed since we collected cards. Most of the ones we have from our childhood (late 80s/90s) are all worthless. The card companies produced way to many cards. The main reason why the ones from the early days (50s,60s,70s are worth so much is because people back then did not view the cards as "valuable". You've heard the stories of people using them on their bike spokes. For this reason not many survived in Mint condition and this drived the value up for those old cards

Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

yep got all kinds of cards.

Comment

I will take a look and see what I have. I do have a ton of Baseball cards. I just got several boxes of cards a few weeks ago. One box was loaded with just Garbage Pail Kids. LOL They were frree so I said what the heck someone may want them. I can at least make a trade at the flea at some point. Kind of hard to throw free stuff away when you are a collector. I am not at hoard level but as my old lady says " Big Daddy , you got a lot of Jazz!" LOL
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Originally posted by lukecreekwalker View Post
              I haven't thought about or picked up a card since I was probably 12. I started to look around online after I couldn't go artifact hunting because of the weather/deer season/leaves etc. Thought about how I always wanted Jordan, Bird, Magic autos and just now I am starting to get them. A lot has changed since we collected cards. Most of the ones we have from our childhood (late 80s/90s) are all worthless. The card companies produced way to many cards. The main reason why the ones from the early days (50s,60s,70s are worth so much is because people back then did not view the cards as "valuable". You've heard the stories of people using them on their bike spokes. For this reason not many survived in Mint condition and this drived the value up for those old cards
              Sure enough right on there. Have you tried contacting anyone for an autograph? When Chipper Jones was with the Braves I sent a card to him and he retrned it signed. I might even have an Emmiot Smith around here signed by him. not just a card but actual signatures . I got both of these for my son. Then he moved out and left them behind. I still look at them as his but he has to ask me for them. If no then at some point I will regift past him to my grandsion. LOL
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                Broken Arrow commented
                Editing a comment
                I did the same thing with football cards when I was a kid. Sent several cards off to different teams and a good amount of them came back signed. Bettis, Young, and several others. It was so cool! I don't know what happened to those cards. O thought they were in a safe place but turns out I they weren't.. Man, to be a kid again..

Man Hoss that's awesome that Chipper and Emmitt actually signed them and mailed them back. Those are two of the all time greats
              Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

I think upper deck put out a set of cards and you could get some neat items like George Washington's actual signature or Abe Lincoln. I think one of the cards had an actual lock of hair from Washington's wig. Its strange what people will collect
                Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

I mostly collect Football but also working on a few baseball card sets. Never really got into basketball but I would love to have a nice Pistol Pete Maravich rookie card in my collection. I really hope you end up getting the Michael Jordan card that you are wanting.
                  \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

Thanks. I definitely will. Its gonna set me back about $400 but I have bought enough stupid purses for my wife that she can't say anything about me buying a piece of cardboard signed by someone. sounds like a Christmas gift to me haha.
                    Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

I must have returned the Emmit Smith one to him but I still have his Chipper Jones Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	176068 Click image for larger version

Name:	chip.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	176071
                      Last edited by Hoss; 10-01-2015, 06:07 PM.

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                        Broken Arrow commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Love those cards! You turn them and it shows the player in motion, very cool

It is one of those three-D cards very cool to have. I am going to see him next week I will take it back up to CT and hand it off to him.

Comment

when my brother and i were growing in up in the late 60's and early to mid 70's
                        we had two complete sets of every baseball card for every team,including the team photo cards
                        plus many extra duplicate cards
                        we had done this for nearly ten years
                        kept them in shoe boxes under our beds
                        then one summer our mother sent us to summer camp

when we got home we had found that she cleaned our bedroom out
                        she ended up throwing out all of our base ball cards,hundreds upon hundreds of cards GONE

do you have any idea how we felt back then
                        not to mention now, especially since we had cards that would be worth a fortune now

like i said we had every player card(including rookie cards) and the team photo cards for nearly 10 years
                        the two of us could have possibly been on easy street right now if our mother didnt throw them out

oh well,like you said back then no one knew they would be worth what they are today

only base ball stuff i have now are the two cereal boxes from when the Minnesota Twins won the world series
                        plus the homer hankies from them two years

for sports memorabilia,i collect NASCAR die cast and the like
                        lots of Jeff Gordon special edition pant scheme cars,Dale Sr cars,,Dale jr's 2004 race edition Daytona 500 win car etc etc
                        most all of my cars are 1/24 scale
                        i have the tazmanian devil car that was supposed to have been Dale Srs car(but he died that year),so then it became Kevin Harvicks car and its auto graphed by Harvick. i also have the certificate of authentcity for it.have all of the boxes and packing material for all my cars.
                        i have a about 35 of the 1/24 th scale cars and about 60 ho wheel sized cars.plus other NASCAR memorabilia
                        lots of stuff from the 2004 Daytona 500 when the wife and i went there
                        even a Daytona 500 Coors Light can when Sterling Mrtin drove for them,still has the beer in it too

i have a t-shirt that has nearly all of the outlaw race car drivers auto graphs on it from back around 2005
                        also a shirly maldowny auto graph,a Dick Trickle auto graphed hat

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                          Broken Arrow commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ahh, Dick Trickle, one of the greatest sports names of all time! Probably hard to get a date with a name like that
                      Working...
                      X