Year of the Tick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year of the Tick

For those of you hunting the NE, Mid Atlantic, Appalachians & Mid West, 2017 had been declared the Year of the Tick by US entomologists. 2015 was a mast year for nut bearing trees. The following year the plentiful food created an explosive rodent population, providing ideal habitat for ticks & their subsequent offspring. It's been the perfect storm.
    Make sure you treat your clothes & yourself with a good dose of your favorite repellent & family members should check each other daily now through November. My hubby has already had Lymes once this year. Stay safe.
    Child of the tides

Had two on me Friday morning, fortunately they hadn't attached yet.
    Now if I can just convince my wife she needs a daily full body check!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

8 ticks and counting thus far. Bet I have one somewhere now. 10 mice so far in my traps. 3 black snakes after the mice, one of which made it into the babies room... And I found bear scat or I think it is in my yard this morning, I live inside city limits so that's a surprise. Yes year of the tick, I believe it.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Thanks for the warning Deb.
      I am lucky to live in an area that is relatively free form tics Deb.
      Zero tics on myself or any of my family since I moved to the island in1982.
      This link shows the major areas of tic infestations in the states. https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/geographic_distribution.html
      You can click on the links at the bottom to find areas for other tics. Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	62
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	254143
      Lyme disease is not the only thing that they carry.
      Tick-borne pathogens can be passed to humans by the bite of infected ticks. Ticks can be infected with bacteria, viruses, or parasites.

Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

There's a new disease spread by ticks, that we are being warned about, because, unlike Lyme disease, it kills:

On Prudence Island, in Narragansett Bay, with several hundred permanent residents, at one time it was said that every single resident had Lyme disease. Not sure if that is still the case, but at one time Prudence Island was called the epicenter of the disease, even though that distinction is usually reserved for the town of Lyme, Ct., on Long Island Sound.
        Rhode Island

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for posting this Charlie. I tried to find the information on it but could not.

• Havenhunter
          Havenhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Sadly our one case in VA was a young child.

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          You're welcome, Bruce. Walking in the woods has never been the same since the explosion in Lyme disease cases, and now this. Makes it scary, deer ticks in particular are so damn tiny and easy to miss.

Our ticks go away when it gets hot and dry.
        South Dakota

Comment

We have them year round unless we get extremely cold weather. Best time to walk the woods & meadows is late Dec thru Feb.
          Child of the tides

Comment

And here's a tick that may be spreading, or else other ticks are acquiring it's unique trait: it causes it's victims to be allergic to meat. With dire consequences....

A rare meat allergy used to be limited to places the lone star tick calls home. But recently it's started to spread.
            Rhode Island

Comment

• Havenhunter
              Havenhunter commented
              Editing a comment
              One of our Outer Banks neighbor's caught this & wound up in the hospital after eating a steak. Doctors don't know if this reaction is a forever thing or will eventually run its course. No beef, lamb, venison, bison & possibly pork. Shoot me now...

• 2ndoldman
              2ndoldman commented
              Editing a comment
              That is totally scarring this carnivore.
              Pretty soon we will need to live in bubbles.

Now I read this . Yes full body check .... check and was standing on a brown recluse spider .

Comment

Working...
            X