How high's the water Mama?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How high's the water Mama?

Took a trek yesterday to look for some sheds. Fields are just way too wet to walk still particularly this one here. The closest tree line is the river bank. Might be a bit before it clears up. No sheds either but this fella popped up to say hi this morning. Young buck that has dropped his antlers.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

That's a lot of water Frank. It's wet everywhere but the good thing about living on a mountain is the water runs down hill - so my uphill neighbor is relatively dry right now but I'm soaked. But in a couple of days my downhill neighbors will be soaked and I'll be kinda dry. Ain't it great. However, with all this run-off I need to get off my butt and get to hunting. By the way - where do you look for sheds, is there a particular type of terrain you search in like heavily wooded???
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Pointhead
      Pointhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Look for sheds on south facing slopes. Trails from bed to feed, on the downwind side of stone walls, thick bedding areas. Swamp edges

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      The one thing I've got that's out in a remote area is a real thick spruce stand that runs about 200 yards up and 25 yards across the side of the mountain. It has a small dry creek bed running diagonal through it. But it runs NE to SW up the side of the mountain. I always thought it might be where they bed down but never really checked it out.

Hope you find some sheds sure is fun looking for them. Our squirrels eat them up.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Three feet high and rising
      Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

I miss Johnny Cash. Always loved to listen to him, especially when I was traveling cross country at night.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
          OnewiththewilD commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember being with my moms mom, my Grammy, out at her house in the woods when I was really little and she would put on Johnny Cash records and play em out then ask me to flip em over and we’d play em out and flip em again.Id always laugh at a Boy named Sue,Lol. I’m 36 now,and to this day when I hear Johnny cash I think of my Grammy.

• rock ON.
          rock ON. commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the same memories as Jay with my mom's mom, my Gran, with Boy named Sue and Ring of Fire, I'm 52 now and I still have her Telefunken Hi-Fi that she used to play them on in my living room now.
          Last edited by rock ON.; 02-23-2018, 06:27 PM.

• BabaORiley
          BabaORiley commented
          Editing a comment
          Always been a Johnny Cash fan. I remember my Dad playing 8 tracks in his car and I always likes his lyrics. There are so many great songs that I really cant narrow it down to any in particular...Songs that I remembered as a little kid were One piece at a time, A boy named Sue, Ballad of John Henry, and his version of Ghost Riders in the Sky...

You sure that’s a field and not a swamp?! Lol. I’ve found 3 sheds this season so far, but one was a left over from last year and was chewed up a bit and dried out some.Havent found any random animal skeletons this year yet though. Pointhunter has some good tips right there on finding em, I have my luck finding em in late season bedding areas, night browsing areas, thickets that border fields and swamp edges. My father was big into looking for sheds too and he started me off real young looking for em with him.
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• BabaORiley
          BabaORiley commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a field Jay. It was an absolute gold mine for points at one time but floods such as this one and the big one back in 96 after 14.50 inches of rain really ruined it. Where I was standing was a rushing torrent. The finds were never the same since then although that field is still farmed and turned yearly the finds just aren't there.

• OnewiththewilD
          OnewiththewilD commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s a bummer dude! Hopefully when that dries up there’s at least something there for ya!

Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
          OnewiththewilD commented
          Editing a comment
          Score!

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          I accidentally Posted these pictures twice and deleted the text. I’m an idiot.

Last weekend when I visited our farm to hunt arrowheads, the Mississippi was at 25’ on the gauge at Helena. It was supposed to crest Saturday about 26 or so. When I left Monday it was over 30 and rising. The higher water pushes the deer up out of the bottomland and we saw about 250 over the three days. Every buck I saw had both sides,...until Sunday when the buck I had watched (and marked for death) dropped one side while running across the field ahead of us. My cousin found one other while squirrel hunting. When the river crests(maybe) at the end of the month, it will be around 40~...which will cause me to have to boat in to hunt arrowheads, but it also pushes all the deer onto a couple small patch’s of woods totaling about 160 acres. Needless to say, I will walk that to death looking for sheds. I will be sending someone out there to dump about 3,000 pounds of corn for them to eat while they wait for the water to drop, but I will show up to assist the hog population in NOT helping them eat it.

Hopefully more pics to follow...

*6 feet high and rising, momma.*

Heres my two from this year, now that I’m looking at it again this other ones from last seasons drop too
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice!!

Yep our bucks just showed back up on the trail cam with no
        antlers . Hope I find some to . Wow with all that water . We to have had so much rain in Hawaii .
        I’ll post the waterfalls

Comment

Gonna get my ass out shed hunting this weekend too while there is still some snow to see their main winter trails. Good luck you guys.

Comment

Me and my crew r going shed hunting next weekend ..... that’s an aw some thing to do late season .... good to see y’all finding some sheds!! Good luck too everyone
            Last edited by G10+; 02-23-2018, 09:40 PM.
            As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
            NW Arkansas

Comment

I have found several while out with the magic walking stick in the past.
              I would love to know what you folks do with the sheds you find.
              Bruce
              In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• rock ON.
                rock ON. commented
                Editing a comment
                Mine are just piling up on top of a cabinet but one day if I get good at knapping I might consider using some of the smaller critter chewed ones for knife handles, I currently use some of those as knapping tools.

• 2ndoldman
                2ndoldman commented
                Editing a comment
                I can easily see where they could be used both ways. I was wondering if anyone here had a market for selling them.

Theres a huge market for antlers Bruce. Its what has ruined deer hunting in a lot of areas and illegal shed hunting is another problem. Check out ebay under deer antlers.
              The chase is better than the catch...
              I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                2ndoldman commented
                Editing a comment
                I just did. That is incredible.

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                There’s such thing as illegal shed hunting?

• BabaORiley
                BabaORiley commented
                Editing a comment
                By illegal I meant trespassing. I have head of people out at night with headlamps on private property looking for sheds also state land where it is illegal to remove anything unless posted. I was approached by a forest preserve officer last spring while fishing. He thought I was shed hunting...hah! he never even asked for my fishing license...tells ya what a problem it has become..
            Working...
            X