Time to collect tree pee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to collect tree pee

Decided to do some maple sugaring this year. We haven't done this for about 15 yrs as we really didn't use much syrup.But last year I really took a liken to maple cream on English muffins, and my wife loves maple sugar candy and taffy. We also thought it might be a fun experience for our 6 yr. old daughter who loves pancakes and syrup.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P2200095.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	287585 My daughter and her cat and me tapping.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2210103.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	287586 My wife and daughter collecting the first sap of the season.

Are there any other northeastern sap suckers on this forum?

Way cool Rockon. I'm in NEastern Illinois and I have a lot of Maples adjacent to me. I never tried it but it has always interested me. There is a local forest preserve that does it every spring and I figure I could also but like I said I never really looked into it.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• rock ON.
      rock ON. commented
      Editing a comment
      Its fun and easy to do on a small scale if you have the time, lots of info on web to help you get started.

I'm on the southern end of the sugar maple's range here in Western NC where there are some farmers who do it. Every spring my maple's drip from sapsucker holes and gives me thought of collecting the sap maybe I'll try next year! Looks fun thanks for showing!
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• rock ON.
      rock ON. commented
      Editing a comment
      If you have the time in the spring and like maple products you should give it a try. its easy enough on a small scale. We have only 22 spiles and recycled food grade plastic jugs. Last time we did it I think I remember getting 7 or 8 quarts of finished syrup, but I'll make a new post of how we did at the end of the season [probably end of March].

Wow that’s awesome !!!! What a great family thing to do !! Looks cold and foggy !!
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

I am totally drooling right now. I haven't tapped a sugar maple since 1972.
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

That's pretty cool. You know, we all expect samples!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Nice work. My family loves it and we don't have to travel far from home to get it at the source.

London, Ontario.

Comment

Good family fun .. plus that’s stuff is expensive in the stores .
            The real stuff . I have a friend that lives in Vermont and she walks me through each season . One of her favorite times is the maple sugar sapping . She says the smells are all in the air like apple cider time in the fall .

Comment

Working...
            X