Trees and Rocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trees and Rocks

Well Y'all - it was 71 degrees outside today, with the sun a shinin' bright so I decided to take a walkabout on the mountain. My primary reason was to check on spots where I could look for antler sheds and I came up with what I think might be good spots but wanted some addit opinions.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fir Stand.jpg Views:	1 Size:	111.8 KB ID:	289198
    This is a fir stand and is separated by about 75 feet right down the middle. Each stand is about 25 yards wide by about 100-150 yards long down the mountain side. It's so dense you almost have to get on your knees to get into the middle of it and there's a spring fed creek that runs down near the middle of each. I haven't hunted in here but i've walked the periphery of both - just didn't want to waste my time going to all the trouble yet. Click image for larger version  Name:	Fir Stand4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	223.7 KB ID:	289199
    This stand starts out thin but thickens as it crosses the top of the rise. There is a shallow ravine close and parallel to the right side that runs the length of the stand. The ravine used to be a running creek but has since dried up. Give me some feed back on these stands. I know the deer bed down in here in the winter, especially during snows and heavy rain.

Now for the Rock part. I continued around the logging road and took the steep uphill route to cross through the big washout where Lilly found her Dovetail. And low and behold I spotted an off color.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slate4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	223.3 KB ID:	289200 Click image for larger version  Name:	Slate2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	154.1 KB ID:	289202 Click image for larger version  Name:	Slate1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	139.4 KB ID:	289201

The piece just about 1 O'clock off my knee is about the side of a dime in the first pic and that same tip is near the inside end of my knife handle. Amazing the size of this thing. Well the texture reminded me of slate but it just seemed way too heavy for slate so I toted it home. After I washed and scrubbed it off this is what I had.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chert3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	137.5 KB ID:	289203 So I whacked it with my framing hammer to see what was beneath the surface and surprise!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chert2.jpg Views:	2 Size:	136.7 KB ID:	289206 I that ain't chert I'll eat my favorite hat. Well - not my favorite one anyway. The surface texture isn't as smooth and creamy as the dark chert I usually find - this is has some texture to it kinda like a grain but it fractured like chert, I think.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chips.jpg Views:	1 Size:	131.3 KB ID:	289205
    This is what I'm used to finding by way of dark chert here on the mountain. That chunk I brought home is a bit of a puzzler for me. If this hadn't been the exact same spot where Lilly found that beautiful Dovetail point, I'd probably have passed it over. Hum, probably just a coincidence but sure seems to be a big piece just laying there all by itself. Whatcha think y'all??
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Scorpion68; 03-04-2018, 08:18 PM.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Im guessing knox chert

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds good to me. Just never found a piece that big.

Always good to go a walk about with you, nice stone now you have a handful of polishing rocks.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      But nothing to polish them in Johnny. ;-)

I run a polisher almost all the time, send them to me and I will send them back to you polished in around four weeks.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

That’s a nice walk about . Look for those deer beds . They are like someone customer made a fur bed . I have seen them so thick they looked pretty darn comfortable . Should be some sheds in those trees .
      I would cut a path so you can start going to the creek . I would be in that dry creek to . Why do you think it dried up ?
      seasonal rain or just a dried up spring ?? I always wonder unless I am in a flood zone in Arizona .
      Love that black chert .. bet Johnny could make that jewelry quality .

Comment

With chert nodes around have you ever thought about knaping. Those pines look like a good spot to find sheds. I've had luck along fence lines.
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Never thought about fence lines and we have a few here. Yea - I thought about knaping but with so much else to do it's just one of those "maybe, someday" things.

beautiful area, would love to hike there!
        Location - Eastern Massachu

Comment

Chuck, thanks for taking me along.
          Child of the tides

Comment

Nice work Chuck. Thanks for the walk about. Great photos.

Comment

Nice looking land and lithics Chuck.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Wettest and warmest winter I remember here on the Plateau. Nice pics Chuck.

Comment

Working...
                X