Finally, a match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, a match

At the start of shed season i found a really nice elk shed. Over the next few weeks i made it my mission to find the match... i had all but given up when my son and i went up and drove the edge of our highest logging road. We could finally get there as most of the snow had melted. Just off the road i spotted a really good one and was delighted to see that it was the match. They ended up being 1500 feet in elevation, 3/4 of a mile, and about 4 weeks apart....

the sheds weigh about 13.5 pounds each, and are longer than my son (who for his age) is tall. I would estimate the bull would score between 370 and 380 boone and crocket.
    Judith Basin, Montana

Hey Chad, Thanks for sharing the pictures. Congrats on the double find. Man that is an awesome bull elk.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree...that's a dandy elk!

That's one of my other favorite activities ...shed hunting.

indont want to start another thread so if you don't mind I'm going to share this in a piggyback sorta way in your cool thread...
    i found all these last Saturday while checking for water damage on the farm. Only a few hundred acres sticking out of the water, so I know there's a lot more to be found...
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
      OnewiththewilD commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s a hellova haul! Wow right on!

• Tam
      Tam commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I am going shed hunting in 2 weeks . If I find some good ones like olll buckys I’ll post .

• Cskelton
      Cskelton commented
      Editing a comment
      I think its like an Easter egg hunt for big kids! I really like finding match sets.. i hope you can match up your largest shed in the pic.

Man! What great finds! As good as any artifact as far as I’m concered. And lucky you to complete the set and have your boy along, I started out looking for things by following my dad thru the woods looking for sheds too. Right on man
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

What an awesome find . Man I hope I find this one bucks shed I gave minerals to .. I want that above my door .
      Speaking of sheds all your posts drive me crazy they are so great ... might find me in a shed in the back .. just saying

Comment

WOW, that is a fantastic rack Chad.
        Could you imagine what your bull would look like if you saw him this way. Click image for larger version

Name:	Elk-on-hilltop.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	298744
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Cskelton
          Cskelton commented
          Editing a comment
          Every fall, i chase them with stick and string...😉

If you find a matched pair it's fun to mount them on a plack. That's me about 40 years ago. The racks are from the same deer on two consecutive years. The next year he was nowhere to be seen.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Ron with Drops.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	298790
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Cskelton
          Cskelton commented
          Editing a comment
          Ron,
          That is an absolute dandy whitetail. I had a similar deal with a bull that grew only one brow tine. I was able to get his sets for two consecutive years, and one side from the third year, then gone.... made me sad.

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Chad, Sometimes it's like I have lost a good friend. There was a sow black bear that was a steady friend for seven years before she disappeared. You know they have new cubs every other year. I saw her with three sets of three cubs and then four cubs. The next year two of the yearling cubs were here but mom was gone. I even got a video of her with a boar in June (breeding- season) one year. She was easy going and a great producer. I miss her.
          Last edited by Ron Kelley; 05-05-2018, 09:50 PM.

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          I bet. He saw these pics and figured what you had in mind for him....😳

Sooooo do we call him the dirt walker or the shed hunter in white s**t lol nice sheds
        Last edited by painshill; 09-28-2021, 06:24 PM.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Originally posted by chase View Post
          Sooooo do we call him the dirt walker or the shed hunter in white s**t lol nice sheds
          I dont think he minds either one... As long as you dont call him "Lime".....
          Last edited by painshill; 09-28-2021, 06:24 PM.
          Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• chase
            chase commented
            Editing a comment
            Haha

Ron I love that you mounted the sheds . I am going to do that
          if I find that ones from a buck I was following for growth this year .

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            Good luck Tam. I hope you find them.
        Working...
        X