Bristlecone pine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristlecone pine

After opening my new book Artifacts of prehistoric America the first page mentioned a bristlecone pine .
    If you have never had the chance to see one of these pick your website . Sorry Bruce I did not include the link . I
    don’t know if you want a cheerful girl or a scientist taking you through their life cycle . This is actually the oldest living object on earth . I was sitting at a table on a ski trip one year in Mammoth mountain ( one of my favorites ) and a women asked that question. What’s the oldest living thing . They date back as far as 5k years +. There is a trail I ski that has these trees living on it . They start at 10k ft so if you have never been to that altitude you may have never seen one . I was shocked to hear a needle may not fall off for 30 years .
    I thought this would be an eye opening experience for the Midwest .
    Maybe everyone already knows this .
    If not enjoy a site ....

Never heard of that kind of Pine, cool Tam!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

We saw the Bristlecone Pine last summer while on our road trip.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	CL4.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	307989 Click image for larger version

Name:	A17.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	307990
      Last edited by Ron Kelley; 07-11-2018, 07:20 AM.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Ron I absolutely knew you have seen these !!
        Chase ski’s so him to .

That's cool tam musta been breathtaking ...kinda like standing on rim of grand canyon
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Well Tamara, here are some pages for those who want links to Bristlecone pines.
        And you are right, these are very old trees.
        Bristlecone pine, either of two species of small pine trees native to the southwestern United States, thought to be the oldest non-clonal trees.

We don't have anything rivaling those for age up here, mainly due to glaciation.
        While everything was lush and growing down there we were in the deep freeze up here.
        However with that said Canada does have some old trees.
        This one is the oldest recorded one, and it just so happens to have been found in my present back yard.
        http://vancouverislandbigtrees.blogs...in-canada.html
        The Niagara Escarpment is also know to house some very old trees as well.
        https://drreese.wordpress.com/2014/0...ra-escarpment/
        This is the current oldest know living tree along the escarpment at 1316 years old.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	LastStandPg137AncientOne.jpg Views:	1 Size:	147.3 KB ID:	308023
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Tam
          Tam commented
          Editing a comment
          As always 🙏

I love Ron's photos. When I was in Bryce Canyon, Utah, many years ago, I drove to the southern entrance to the park. Nobody was there. There was a short trail, called the Bristlecone Loop Trail. It led to what is known as Rainbow Point. I'm not sure I knew it was called that at the time, but at that incredible overlook, there was a storm in the distant north, and a rainbow. This is not my video, but I sat on the log bench, seen at the end, with a bristlecone pine right next to it. The little plaque described it, and I remember it stated they dated back to the time of Christ. Which is far from as old as they get of course. I sat there for quite awhile, and not another person showed up the entire time. Most visitors visit the northern end of Bryce Canyon National Park, to see the famous hoodoo formations. At every park in Utah, I always looked for the areas where people were not, lol...

Rhode Island

Comment

Wonderful experience . They are dotted in the West and I am just mesmerized by them . Great clip .

Comment

Very cool Tam
            There are some 2000 year old bald cypress in southern illinois.

Comment

Never knew I’ll look that up .

Comment

Bruce , I was reading about your Canadian Cedar again .
                Did you mean it is literally in your backyard as on your property , or in walking or driving distance to observe .

Comment

Working...
                X